Keegan Thompson Update

augolf1716

Keegan doing very well seems like

CHICAGO -- — Keegan Thompson combined with three relievers on a five-hitter, and the Chicago Cubs shut out the Pittsburgh Pirates for the second straight game, a 7-0 win Tuesday night that extended their winning streak to a season-best four.

Jonathan Villar hit a go-ahead, solo homer in the third and added an RBI single.

Cubs starters have posted a 2.37 ERA over their last eight games and Chicago is 6-2 in that stretch. Thompson has added to the success.

“I anticipate Keegan grabbing the ball and doing what we ask him to do,” Chicago manager David Ross said. “He's definitely starter depth for us, but he's also really valuable in the role he's been filling for us.”

Thompson (3-0) allowed four hits and four walks in five innings, while striking out five in his second start this season. The right-hander, pressed into the rotation last week, lowered his ERA to 1.41.

“I’m just going out there and doing what they ask me to do, whether it’s start or coming out of the 'pen,” Thompson said. "I don’t really have a role, I don’t think. I’m just trying to give innings and give the team a chance to win.”

• Like 3