I just hate Alabama’

aubiefifty

Story behind sleeping Auburn fan wearing Tennessee gear at Crimson Tide game: ‘I just hate Alabama’

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
2-3 minutes

Auburn fan dressed in Tennessee gear

A baseball fan named Jeff was interviewed by the SEC Network and claims he is an Auburn fan and said he was wearing Tennessee gear during Alabama's game in the SEC baseball tournament on Wednesday, May 25, for one reason. (SEC Network)

Meet Jack Beck.

It appears he’s an Auburn fan. Yet, there he was sitting at Alabama’s game Wednesday during the SEC baseball tournament in Hoover wearing Tennessee gear.

If you are confused, you aren’t the only one.

To add to the intrigue, SEC Network cameras caught him snoozing.

And here’s the best part: He’s from Tuscaloosa.

Here’s what happened.

Beck, a freshman baseball player at Marion Military Institute, didn’t get home Tuesday night from the SEC tournament until at 12:45 a.m. because of rain delays. He then returned to the park for Auburn’s 9:30 a.m. first pitch, which, of course, was delayed for hours. He remained at the park to wait for his other team, Tennessee, to play.

Beck’s mother, Jacki Beck, confirmed to AL.com her son wore his Auburn colors for the Tigers’ upset loss to Kentucky 3-1 in a single-elimination game of the SEC baseball tournament at the Hoover Met.

He is also a Tennessee fan, thanks to a friendship he developed with one of the players, so he came prepared with his second outfit.

Both Jack and Jacki are Auburn fans in a house divided.

As you can see from the video below, he was spotted for snoozing during Alabama’s 4-3 win over Arkansas.

So why was an Auburn fan sitting at an Alabama game wearing Tennessee gear?

In four words he explained his predicament.

“I just hate Alabama.”

Jacki Beck confirmed to AL.com her son “cheers for any team playing Alabama.”

Jack Beck’s four words have achieved him a certain level of status among Tennessee fans on Twitter.

The video has been viewed more than 85,000 times.

When it comes to the SEC, yep, it just means more.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

• Like 1

When an Auburn fan says they hate Alabama, you better believe it. If you are aware of all the cheating Alabama has gotten away with, you'd have a real disdain, abhorrence for everything Alabama. Yet, I would not wearing another school's jersey but he got 15 minutes of attention. 

• Like 1

I HATE them and I want you to hate them too!!!

• Like 1

I never used to hate bammer until 1978. I was a senior at Auburn and Auburn was playing VPI in Blacksburg, which we won. My younger brother (also an Auburn grad) and I went to the bammer/USC game in Birmingham with our parents who were bammer fans. The bammer cheerleaders were not doing any cheers for bammer, but were instead cheering on VPI and the crowd was loving it. So, I went to a souvenir stand and bought USC gear and started cheering for USC. Charles White ran all over the Bahr's boys that day and I've hated bammer ever since. I pull for any team playing bammer in any sport, even the Ohio State Suckeyes or Notre Dame. Bammer SUCKS!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

When an Auburn fan says they hate Alabama, you better believe it. If you are aware of all the cheating Alabama has gotten away with, you'd have a real disdain, abhorrence for everything Alabama. Yet, I would not wearing another school's jersey but he got 15 minutes of attention. 

Cheating is putting it mildly. I have family members who participated in the cheating.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...