2023 AU Gymnastics

AUreo

2 teams already average higher than our top score 197.75. Gonna take an effort.  Fun fact though, we finished higher than UCLA in that first meet of season.  They got better while we basically stayed around the same. 

Just now, BigBlueWDE said:

I think our girls may have just given it away on bars. Two falls back to back, so uncharacteristic 

3 falls back to back

Horrific bars will knock us out.  We are last with 146 through 3

This is very disappointing, basically the entire season. I think losing a team leader (Drew Watson), then AJP to bama, and Suni's injury were too many factors to overcome this season. 

Next year could be still a solid year for us, Sophia will have to step up and be our superstar and we need both Olivia Greaves and Julianne Huff to become freshmen sensations. Of course, we also need Cassie and Aria back, and Hollingsworth and McLaughlin to be consistent next year. It would be still a transition year but we already have the 2024-25 difference makers committed and other SEC teams should also lose many of their superstars to graduation & the Olympics (it's not just us)... at least we should use next season to lay a foundation for the 2025 season...(and who knows, maybe Suni will be back after the Olympics for the 2025 season. This could be an amazing year for us - best AU Basketball team ever + AU gymnastics with Suni & a bunch of 5 -star gymnasts...)

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AUreo said:

This is very disappointing, basically the entire season. I think losing a team leader (Drew Watson), then AJP to bama, and Suni's injury were too many factors to overcome this season. 

Next year could be still a solid year for us, Sophia will have to step up and be our superstar and we need both Olivia Greaves and Julianne Huff to become freshmen sensations. Of course, we also need Cassie and Aria back, and Hollingsworth and McLaughlin to be consistent next year. It would be still a transition year but we already have the 2024-25 difference makers committed and other SEC teams should also lose many of their superstars to graduation & the Olympics (it's not just us)... at least we should use next season to lay a foundation for the 2025 season...(and who knows, maybe Suni will be back after the Olympics for the 2025 season. This could be an amazing year for us - best AU Basketball team ever + AU gymnastics with Suni & a bunch of 5 -star gymnasts...)

I love the optimism. This team never hit its peak like we saw last year with the UF tie and Final 4 run. I think that's what is disappointing. 

• Like 2

great year although disappointing after last year's run.  this team just never seemed to have that "moment".  very proud of cassie the way she stepped up this year.  always fun to  watch and we will continue our support of AU gym next season (will be odd since we won't have a student at AU for 1st time in past 7 years; kinda sad too).  WDE

• Like 1

I forgot to watch last night - maybe I'm glad I did.  Hate that the team ended the season with several sub-par meets.  Did Cassie and/or Derrian score high enough on individual events to progress to finals?

That depends on today's regional results.  They allow top rated individuals of each apparatus from teams not advancing into the national competition.  I believe I saw that somewhere.  From my understanding only Cassie and Derrian have a shot.

UCLA and Utah advanced, which allows DG to compete on floor at nationals on 14th. Basically this was the only scenario she was able to advance.  So this will give her a chance to go out as a national champion. 

I may have date wrong but she will be there.