2022 World Cup

aucanucktiger

Geez not doing anything with the ball.  Have to go towards goal

Well as Dub said, mission accomplished this year overall. Had a chance to go further.  We better find a way to score more goals to be able to proceed further.  3 goals in 4 games.  

4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Well as Dub said, mission accomplished this year overall. Had a chance to go further.  We better find a way to score more goals to be able to proceed further.  3 goals in 4 games.  

Thats not unusual in WC and in fact Spain won 2010 WC that way. Our soccer issue as a country is grass roots development of DEFENDERS. Young agile, tall/big guys go to basketball or football so our D pool is loaded with big guys that turn like 18 wheelers. That works at the club level but not WC level. 

Great effort though and yes mission accomplished for this very very young US team. We're already qualified for 2026, see them & y'all here in 4 years (get your tix now)!🙂🇺🇲

• Love 1

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

Thats not unusual in WC and in fact Spain won 2010 WC that way. Our soccer issue as a country is grass roots development of DEFENDERS. Young agile, tall/big guys go to basketball or football so our D pool is loaded with big guys that turn like 18 wheelers. That works at the club level but not WC level. 

Great effort though and yes mission accomplished for this very very young US team. We're already qualified for 2026, see them & y'all here in 4 years (get your tix now)!🙂🇺🇲

Forgot about the auto qualifier (3 nations that year auto correct?).  Agreed on defense.  

The lack of a true 9 will get us killed unless we get that resolved. For some reason Gregg prefers hold up guys at the spot. 

We need a finisher.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

That 2010 WC was the most frustrating to watch. Spain played the games to win 1-0 on 1 shot. I agree with everything else, but will add that your reason for lacking center backs is also used for Strikers.

I love our young core and cant wait to see what they do next WC!

• Like 1

Hoping Messi gets his finally.  If not, then want the Netherlands. It's true they are the super without a world cup.

I think the winner will be the winner of the England France game or Brazil. I think I'd rather have France or Brazil win it all. To me, soccer is more fun when Brazil is at the top, and I dont want England to win.

• Like 1

First Neymar, now Ronaldo out of WC. Messi survived for now.  

Morocco in the semis with upset of Portugal 

I would be cool with France winning it so that bettor that predicted all the championship winners on that parlay would actually win the parlay.  France is the only leg left.  Win $557k I believe. 

1 hour ago, arein0 said:

France v Argentina Final 😑

Funny how with all the upsets, it's down 2 the favorites.  I at least have a rooting interest in both.  I want Messi to get his though. 

Messi at this age can be covered without redesigning the D (Croatia had a moronic plan) and if you clamp down on this Messi, this Argentina is in trouble. Unlike France where if Arg silences Mbappe they still have scoring machines Griezman, Dembele and Girout.

This final is all about France's D, IMHO

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 7:51 PM, arein0 said:

I thought they looked like the better team vs Belgium. Belgium was just able to capitalize on their 1 scoring chance. Against Croatia, they played very aggressive in the 2nd half because they were eliminated with a loss. In hockey terms, they pulled their goalie. Its unfortunate, but Canada was placed in the toughest group imo.

Both teams in the 3rd/4th place game are from Canada's group. Sometimes you get unlucky with the group draw

• Like 1

Holy crap!!!! MBappe! France equalizes a minute later.  Excellent goal

Messi with a really good look at the top and ripped on goal.  Punched over crossbar.  Then a last second opportunity but ball bounced high off Messi foot. Extra Time 2-2

Gooooooooaaaaaaalllllll Argentina. Messi with 2nd goal!

Edited by AUBwins