2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

10 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

What’s going on at bama?  Several starters or contributors hitting the portal.

don't know who you're referring to specifically, but this was a pretty dramatic failure of talent on display, by their standards. probably not being asked back for the most part (on top of the fact they have a large amount of attrition bc...of the large amount of talent there) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

What’s going on at bama?  Several starters or contributors hitting the portal.

Perhaps they’re butthurt from not making the playoffs? And/or are getting more money somewhere else…I’m sure Nicky promised them titles and rings to play for him, and so I’m sure some assumed they would automatically be a playoff shoe-in. 

Edited by AUINSY

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

don't know who you're referring to specifically, but this was a pretty dramatic failure of talent on display, by their standards. probably not being asked back for the most part (on top of the fact they have a large amount of attrition bc...of the large amount of talent there) 

Yeah. My guess is they're going to raid the portal too. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

The portal is just a massive free agent pool every year now. It's going to completely eff up the game in my opinion.

Yep, going in the portal can mean you are unhappy where you are. It can also mean you would just like a bigger paycheck. It's turning into a bidding war which is going to be detrimental to the game over the long term.  Everybody would like some limits, but right now it's the wild west.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

The portal is just a massive free agent pool every year now. It's going to completely eff up the game in my opinion.

We just have to respond like everyone else. Definitely is making this time of year exciting.

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Yep, going in the portal can mean you are unhappy where you are. It can also mean you would just like a bigger paycheck. It's turning into a bidding war which is going to be detrimental to the game over the long term.  Everybody would like some limits, but right now it's the wild west.

No way to know where you stand wo entering. There is no list that says what each person is getting.

Wouldn't be surprised if a new rule is instituted next opportunity for changes stating that you can't return if you enter the portal.  That would keep those out that are just looking for bigger paydays, knowing they can return if they don't get one.

I think a lot of this is a money grab.  If you can go to another school and get more NIL then why not?  Does Bama have that much more money than Auburn.  All that money gets spread thin if you have a team full of 4 and 5*s

• Like 1

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I think a lot of this is a money grab.  If you can go to another school and get more NIL then why not?  Does Bama have that much more money than Auburn.  All that money gets spread thin if you have a team full of 4 and 5*s

I have heard Bama’s NIL collective is a little behind the game.  Think they thought they could continue to lean on Saban and his recruiting so they didn’t prioritize it like other schools. 

Have alumni friends and they didn’t even know Bama had a collective….they have received nothing about contributing, etc.  These are Tide Pride seat holders since they graduated in the mid 90’s and they have had no one marketing any collectives to them….and their attitude is “why does Saban even need this”?  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

I have heard Bama’s NIL collective is a little behind the game.  Think they thought they could continue to lean on Saban and his recruiting so they didn’t prioritize it like other schools. 

Have alumni friends and they didn’t even know Bama had a collective….they have received nothing about contributing, etc.  These are Tide Pride seat holders since they graduated in the mid 90’s and they have had no one marketing any collectives to them….and their attitude is “why does Saban even need this”?  

Isn't the REC their collective? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aubietiger14 said:

Isn't the REC their collective? 

Gonna take a lot more than some boogeymen behind the scenes in this new NIL world. 

Everyone has a REC now, and a lot of school’s RECs are bigger.  

• Like 2

Tommy Brockermeyer; -Alabama-Javion Cohen; Myles Hinton; -Stanford-Jake Hornibook; AJ Cornelius Rhode Island wish list of offensive lineman

Last year there were very few Quality O-Line in the Portal this year that seems to have changed big time. I am seeing more quality players then last year maybe it is the NIL money not sure why but this gives me more hope then I originally had. Now can we outbid some people and pul some top talent in.

• Like 1