NC ST QB Devin Leary

Tigerpro2a

Kentucky feels good about getting Leary after their visit before us. But they are all homers though.  They consider him the #1 QB in portal.  

32 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Kentucky feels good about getting Leary after their visit before us. But they are all homers though.  They consider him the #1 QB in portal.  

They are both extremely good. But I think as of right now we are going to take McCall, or try to take him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

He is very good.

Nation's No. 1 transfer QB to visit Auburn this weekend

24 minutes ago

Auburn is the place to be this weekend for top transfer quarterbacks.

NC State's Devin Leary, one of the best passers in college football over the past two seasons, will take an official visit this weekend to check out Hugh Freeze's program, Auburn Undercover has been informed. He joins former Coastal Carolina standout Grayson McCall, as Auburn will have the No. 1 and No. 2 transfer quarterbacks in the country on campus at the same time.

The 2022 ACC preseason player of the year, Leary threw for 3,433 yards (65.7 percent) in 2021, with 35 touchdowns to only five interceptions. He had 11 touchdowns and four picks this year before suffering a season-ending pectoral injury in early October. He's expected to be ready for spring practices.

The No. 4 overall player in the 247Sports transfer portal rankings, Leary visited Kentucky earlier this week. Other schools reportedly in the mix are Notre Dame, UCLA, South Carolina and Oregon.

According to 247Sports' Brian Dohn, Leary wasn't previously planning to visit anywhere this weekend. Discussions between he and Auburn picked up late in the week, and he made the decision to check out Freeze's program.

McCall, who has 78 touchdowns, eight interceptions and 10.3 yards per attempt in three seasons as the starter at Coastal Carolina, set his visit earlier in the week. 

At quarterback, Auburn currently returns Robby Ashford, who started nine games with seven touchdowns to seven picks, T.J. Finley, who started the first three games of the season, and former 4-star recruit Holden Geriner. 

Leary joins a loaded visitor list for Auburn this weekend, which is the last window for transfers to visit schools until Jan. 4. Auburn Undercover subscribers can view the full visitors list here.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

Watching Leary's highlights he throws a lot of near picks against bad defensive play. Looks to me that SEC defenses would have played the ball better than what I saw from his competition. I trust Freeze and staff to find a guy and if they say this is it then my evaluation must be off and Leary will adjust to the more gifted DBs of the SEC.

I’ve seen the rankings and I still think McCall is better on the eye test . I also think Auburn thought that too but figured there would be a snag and got him here. To me Leary gets the power 5 bump. Doesn’t mean he won’t work out but let’s not act like rankings are infallible. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So, how many stars is he?

he is at rawkstar level.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Watching Leary's highlights he throws a lot of near picks against bad defensive play. Looks to me that SEC defenses would have played the ball better than what I saw from his competition. I trust Freeze and staff to find a guy and if they say this is it then my evaluation must be off and Leary will adjust to the more gifted DBs of the SEC.

I noticed that as well. I'm going to counter that and say that, maybe with a better offensive system, better route schemes, and better QB coaches, that will improve. I'm hoping anyway. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Not anymore.  They brought Graham Mertz in on an OV this weekend.  

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to NC ST QB Devin Leary
16 hours ago, toddc said:

T.J. Finley, who started the first three games of the season

I thought he was leaving.

13 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

McCall reportedly has canceled his visit, not sure if it’s related to Leary or what.

From everything I have seen it is because McCall doesn't qualify.  I like the both guys about equally. We HAVE to lock Leary down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We HAVE to lock Leary down.

This is it right here. He cannot leave without a commit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is it right here. He cannot leave without a commit. 

I don't have much space between DL and GM. I wanted DL from the moment I saw he was entering...which is why I started this thread. When GM entered I wanted him as well. I think GM is an absolute gamer. Devin Leary has a better arm IMO. I think either can be huge for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I don't have much space between DL and GM. I wanted DL from the moment I saw he was entering...which is why I started this thread. When GM entered I wanted him as well. I think GM is an absolute gamer. Devin Leary has a better arm IMO. I think either can be huge for us.

No I have seen more than enough of GM as a Wisconsin resident lol.

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

Sorry...Grayson McCall! Not Graham Mertz!! I would agree about Graham.

Yeah we all know how I felt about GM but that shipped as sail. I think he fits better in the prototypical freeze offense but the more I watch highlights DL can make every type of throw. We get him and a quality line, WATCH OUT.