Prime

LPTiger

I was intrigued by the prospect of Prime coming to AU.   I thought he would recruit lights out and that would lead to success sooner rather than later.  After seeing his recent interview about developing relationships with boosters, man was I wrong about his chances for success.  In a nutshell he said he has no interest or time for meeting with influential boosters.  He said it was an "insult" to even be asked to do such.  If Prime doesn't change, this one aspect of his "approach" will insure he has no chance for long term success in the college game.  

• Thanks 2

I thought he would excel at that part of the job to be honest. But as we all know that approach didn't work for Harsin in the SEC. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for Colorado and Deion in the Pac12

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2

Deion was a major league jackwagon as a player and has retained the massive ego. He'll either succeed on force of personality or fail miserably. Politics was never going to be the strong suit with him. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of coaches aren’t into meeting with boosters, and try to avoid that part of the process. But you better win and win big. Become a perennial Top 5 program and I don’t think boosters care what you do. Short of that, you better be willing to shake some hands and slap some backs. We will find out where Prime falls out in the next few years. 

3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Deion was a major league jackwagon as a player and has retained the massive ego. He'll either succeed on force of personality or fail miserably. Politics was never going to be the strong suit with him. 

Yup! He would have had no chance at Auburn with that ego. 

• Like 1

Why are we talking bad about someone who isn't at Auburn? 

Plus as the old saying goes. "If you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything at all".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eh, who knows. He can say that and still be able to do the bare minimum to convince them to sit the hell down and let him cook. Saban did it. 

He pushed the top level at JSU to progress more than they would’ve done normally, although he threw some of his own money into the bowl. He at least knows how to play the game to get what he wants out of it. I highly doubt someone with the long term clarity Deion seemingly has shown would spite himself around industry politics 

• Like 4

You don’t have to allow boosters to have hands all over your program or, 24:7 access to you because you they wrote a check. Some are for telling you what to do and how to do it. Like hire this guy, play this kid more, can you come to my Christmas party etc. Deion like Saban and Smart just want to build relationships with young men, coach football and win games. Look at what booster relationships have done to Texas, TAMU, and Auburn, sitting down and hob nobbing with boosters does not equate to winning or a successful program. Some coaches just want you to write your check move out of the way and let them work. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, creed said:

You must be new here, welcome to the forum.

• Haha 3

" He coming though."

Deion, while a great athlete, has always been a punch line. He cares not about Colorado, Jackson State, HBCU'S, or much of anything else save for Deion. 

I for one am more than overjoyed not to have that clown anywhere near Auburn. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 hours ago, creed said:

Plus as the old saying goes. "If you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything at all".

As opposed to you want us to talk bad about people but only when they are associated with AU? Okkkk…. 

A3BBFBBD-67B8-4575-AA6A-393273019F41.gif

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

As opposed to you want us to talk bad about people but only when they are associated with AU? Okkkk…. 

A3BBFBBD-67B8-4575-AA6A-393273019F41.gif

Maybe you'll figure it out one day.

It seems some folks believe Saban doesn't spend time with boosters.   Nothing could be further from the truth.   When Angus Cooper had a recent birthday, Saban threw a big party for him inside BDS.   To be successful, you don't have to suck up to every donor, but you dang well better be very close to the top ones aka Bear serving on Jimmy Hinton's board, Pat serving on the Colonial Board and on the GSW board.   Any why wouldn't you want to be close with those folks -- they love your university, and they are successful people.   Take Walt Woltosz for example -- jet pilot, car racer, aerospace engineer, movie producer -- why wouldn't you want to hand out with him.   Prime's problem, I think, is Prime doesn't feel like he can learn from anyone but Prime.  

• Like 3

On 1/4/2023 at 7:26 AM, creed said:

Let's get this back on track, who at Auburn are you wanting to talk bad about?

• Like 1

If you want to know more about why he isn't at AU...........head on over to the Nest. A small lifetime fee has lots of goodies!

In short - he quickly proved we did not need that here.

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Let's get this back on track, who at Auburn are you wanting to talk bad about?

image.jpeg

Once again it's hilarious that the man who has a track record of helping players and coaches gets talked about by randoms whom doesn't know anything about him....

But the random men who do not have a record of helping anybody unless it benefits them are supposed to be these honorable men. They care about the players and their schools and such.....

They'll do anything to demonize this man. It's hilarious. Like it or not you guys can make up whatever you like but one thing you can't do is make up a lie where this man doesn't care and supposedly these other coaches do. 

People usually have a disdain for a man who won't dance and play the game people expect. Usually don't like it when he's loud, comfortable, different. 

But Auburn received spanking and will have to admit. Keep trying to do stuff that old way and you will get a team that's trash and you all will cry. 

Or you follow everybody else and realize it's different now and players need to be respected like all the other students if you want to play big boy ball. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

If you want to know more about why he isn't at AU...........head on over to the Nest. A small lifetime fee has lots of goodies!

In short - he quickly proved we did not need that here.

Lol I bet it's such a diverse set of ideas and opinions. I'm sure they have plenty of people that can view from a players perspective

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2023 at 2:50 PM, Eagle-1 said:

" He coming though."

Deion, while a great athlete, has always been a punch line. He cares not about Colorado, Jackson State, HBCU'S, or much of anything else save for Deion. 

I for one am more than overjoyed not to have that clown anywhere near Auburn. 

People said (on this board) the same thing all the time about Saban not caring about Bama. I’ve predicted that Prime will be competing for championships in the near future, and we’ll be kicking ourselves for not hiring him as we watch our old, out of touch boosters hunt for the next incarnation of Pat Dye. I stand by all that. If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy to admit it. If I’m right, well, buy me a Toomer’s Lemonade.

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

People said (on this board) the same thing all the time about Saban not caring about Bama. I’ve predicted that Prime will be competing for championships in the near future, and we’ll be kicking ourselves for not hiring him as we watch our old, out of touch boosters hunt for the next incarnation of Pat Dye. I stand by all that. If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy to admit it. If I’m right, well, buy me a Toomer’s Lemonade.

My prediction is Sanders won't be in coaching long after his son's college eligibility is over. If he's still coaching two seasons after that, I'll buy your Toomer's lemonade. If not, you can return the favor.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

He may very well be successful. Still does not change my opinion of him, and the fact I'm glad he's nowhere near Auburn. 

Maybe my wording of my previous statement on Deion was not exactly the best, but I was trying to convey the fact that Deion has always been much more interested in promoting Deion than he has the organizations he's been affiliated with. 

His first talk with the team at Colorado illustrated this better than I could ever do myself. It wasn't about Colorado, and the great things we all could do here. It was all about "Me." 

Maybe it's just a difference in how you look at things. I was always taught to be humble, and let your actions speak for you rather than constantly blowing your own horn. Is that wrong? I don't know, but count me among those that it rubs the wrong way. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

Have ya'll seen the documentary where Deion cuts the kid off team vote? Curious to hear opinions on that. I have mixed feelings. I am all for letting the team be involved in a decision like that. I am unsure about doing it with him there. I probably wouldn't have done that. I also would not have done it in a manner to be televised on National TV. These are not criticisms or praise. Just my opinions on the way that was handled.

33 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Have ya'll seen the documentary where Deion cuts the kid off team vote? Curious to hear opinions on that. I have mixed feelings. I am all for letting the team be involved in a decision like that. I am unsure about doing it with him there. I probably wouldn't have done that. I also would not have done it in a manner to be televised on National TV. These are not criticisms or praise. Just my opinions on the way that was handled.

On national TV, no, but I've got no issue with the team voting in front of him if that's the case. I didn't see what you're referring to but the kid needs to know his actions or behavior is affecting others and hearing it from his peers versus his coach may be what he needs. Life's lessons are not fun sometimes but most likely the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one"...Spock