Looking back at last season

Win4AU

When did you know things were probably going to be bumpy?  For me it was when TJ was announced as starting QB.  I had optimism that Calzada could be a good enough QB and Auburn had just enough talent to go on a run the way it did up to the Miss State game in 2021 before Bo go hurt.  I didn't foresee Auburn going undefeated but with enough wins maybe Auburn could turn around recruiting and things would start on an upward trajectory.  Once TJ was named starter I knew Auburn would be lucky to be over .500.  Knowing what I know now there was obviously a lot more things not working in that teams favor as long as Harsin was coach.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

When did you know things were probably going to be bumpy?  For me it was when TJ was announced as starting QB.  I had optimism that Calzada could be a good enough QB and Auburn had just enough talent to go on a run the way it did up to the Miss State game in 2021 before Bo go hurt.  I didn't foresee Auburn going undefeated but with enough wins maybe Auburn could turn around recruiting and things would start on an upward trajectory.  Once TJ was named starter I knew Auburn would be lucky to be over .500.  Knowing what I know now there was obviously a lot more things not working in that teams favor as long as Harsin was coach.  

Game vs SJSU for me.

Was thinking it might be a 7 win season before that maybe even 8 with luck, then figured it might be a 3-4 win season after.

And if it wasn't for Caddy it might have been a 3 win season.

• Like 6

I still held on to stupendous blind faith through the fall camp and first couple games. It was PSU for me. I felt it already. I knew I was wearing shades....but it is so hard to accept that the team I love so much just utterly sucks.

After the PSU beatdown I lost all hope and finally came to terms that I was bad wrong. Looking back all the signs were there. The fact that I had to research the name on the thread titled " Auburn hires HC Brian Harsin" I should have known it was a bad hire. It never gave me the feel goods, but I talked myself into buying in.

At the very least I was happy that we didn't do the typical AU hire and bring in Rhett Lashlee, although I'm certain it would have been 10 times better than CBH. It all works out for a reason though. That reason is for CBHF to be here and take us to the promise land. I haven't been this excited about AU football since the commitment of Byron Cowart.  War Damn Eagle!

• Like 6

I like to give the generous assumption . I honestly didn’t get off the Gus bus until he made that comment about 6-4 not being bad when you consider it was all SEC. 

For harsin, after the penn state game where he literally showed no emotion . I think at that point things were far too gone between both parties and he literally refused to coach or do anything of that nature. I literally never seen anything like it before tbh 

All this to say , I will support an Auburn coach until they give me the very reason not to and that’s usually with a long leash. The same will be for CHF.  If that makes me a blind loyalist, so be it. Also add I wish both Gus and Harsin the best.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

I like to give the generous assumption . I honestly didn’t get off the Gus bus until he made that comment about 6-4 not being bad when you consider it was all SEC. 

For harsin, after the penn state game where he literally showed no emotion . I think at that point things were far too gone between both parties and he literally refused to coach or do anything of that nature. I literally never seen anything like it before tbh 

All this to say , I will support an Auburn coach until they give me the very reason not to and that’s usually with a long leash. The same will be for CHF.  If that makes me a blind loyalist, so be it. Also add I wish both Gus and Harsin the best.

Well said, brother.

Oddly enough...I am the exact same on the Gus bus. I was losing faith quickly since 2018, but that was the moment I was like "Ok..I can not support that as our leader anymore".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well said, brother.

Oddly enough...I am the exact same on the Gus bus. I was losing faith quickly since 2018, but that was the moment I was like "Ok..I can not support that as our leader anymore".

I couldn’t believe he said that out loud. Harsin literarily just quit on the field. For someone who carries themselves with such bravado that was astounding . 

• Like 1

The San Jose St game was eerily bad and I knew we were in trouble but the PSU game was when it was obvious things were irretrievably broken. I was a Harsin supporter until halftime of that game then crashed hard on him. 

• Like 2

i hope karma comes back and bites hars in the behind. i am still mad he screwed up the team so bad and got several mil he did not deserve. i am sick of rewarding idiots for bad behavior. that fifteen mil could have gone to NIL or towards a construction project at auburn.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Jan of ‘21 when Greene hired some guy from Boise State because he liked him in a pool/hot tube. No kidding, all jokes aside, that is when! 

But it is over! Thank God it is over. I’m glad we have faithful multi-millionaires that were willing to pay his buyout, because I say again, it is over!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

For me it was after the failed attempt to get Harsin out last Winter. Whatever GAS level he had at that time left him. He quit on Auburn at that point and that doesn't even factor in the fact that he wasn't capable of running a top notch SEC football program. We never stood a chance with him as HC. Last season was the most unanticipated season for me in a long time. I didn't even set the games to record after the first two and was honestly glad I had to work most Saturdays. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Jan of ‘21 when Greene hired some guy from Boise State because he liked him in a pool/hot tube. No kidding, all jokes aside, that is when! 

But it is over! Thank God it is over. I’m glad we have faithful multi-millionaires that were willing to pay his buyout, because I say again, it is over!

I saw a guy that was winning 10-11 games a season over 5-6 seasons.  That’s impressive no matter where you are.  I was optimistic that we found a Diamond in the rough.  Turned out to still be a chunk of coal.

• Like 4

Yeah, I think the SJSU game was kind of an "uh oh" moment. 

But getting beatdown by PSU confirmed things. I don't remember a whole lot from that game, but one play that sticks out to me was the coaching staff NOT challenging that INT at the end of the 1st Quarter (game clock had run out before the snap). The refs messed up, but our coaching staff should have caught that. I'd be willing to bet that had we gotten a TD on the play that James Franklin would have pointed it out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, toddc said:

NO THANKS 😊 

I would rather forget it.

Todd beat me to it. I have put the last two seasons behind the first time I lost a pet. Not revisiting that doo doo poo poo 

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Todd beat me to it. I have put the last two seasons behind the first time I lost a pet. Not revisiting that doo doo poo poo 

Dog or cat?

When his first recruiting season was mis-handled I knew then we were in for a rough but short ride. Signed only four 4* guys that year and three had already committed to AU before Harsin was hired. About that same time rumors were flying out of the AD about unhappy employees. Really, it took one year longer than I had hoped it would before Harsin was sent packing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I saw a guy that was winning 10-11 games a season over 5-6 seasons.  That’s impressive no matter where you are.  I was optimistic that we found a Diamond in the rough.  Turned out to still be a chunk of coal.

If you're not someone familiar with this region, you'd better have made a national name for yourself. Luke Fickell, while Wisconsin was ultimately the best fit for him, had done that. Urban Meyer when Florida hired him had too. I get that following a legend sucks, but Boise was most definitely no longer that Boise--they had largely fallen off the radar nationally. Combine those two factors and you can see why I didn't like the hire from the beginning.

(And before someone says I don't like any hire we make, I was totally okay with the Freeze hire when it was first announced--even if I had some reservations and still do to an extent about the assistants. Heck, when Gus was hired I was mad for about an hour but then felt optimistic the more I thought about it...most of us did and for precisely 23 months that optimism seemed justified.)

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Those are tough! I still miss dogs that passed 30 years ago, and several more in between then and now. My sister says that one of God's big mistakes was having us live longer than our dogs. I think that God probably just likes dogs better than humans so they get to go first.

Post of the year . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Those are tough! I still miss dogs that passed 30 years ago, and several more in between then and now. My sister says that one of God's big mistakes was having us live longer than our dogs. I think that God probably just likes dogs better than humans so they get to go first.

I’ve said for a long time that 1 of the greatest things God did was provide mankind a true unconditional love mate. They truly are a person’s best friend!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

For me it was after the failed attempt to get Harsin out last Winter. Whatever GAS level he had at that time left him. He quit on Auburn at that point and that doesn't even factor in the fact that he wasn't capable of running a top notch SEC football program. We never stood a chance with him as HC. Last season was the most unanticipated season for me in a long time. I didn't even set the games to record after the first two and was honestly glad I had to work most Saturdays. 

Agree. I think he quit. I think he knew it was coming eventually and didn’t want to prolong it. I also can’t say I blame him. The way they went after him personally....it was not repairable. He really just showed he held the favorable position in the stand-off. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hopsing said:

I’ve said for a long time that 1 of the greatest things God did was provide mankind a true unconditional love mate. They truly are a person’s best friend!

Tumblr_l_226273036312286.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4