Bama basketball player arrested on capital murder charges

Win4AU

From this article:  here

... It appears at this time that the shooting was the result of a minor argument that occurred between the victims and suspects after they encountered each other along the strip,’’ Kennedy said.  ...

Man, so senseless.  smh

18 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Man, so senseless.  smh

True. I was saying to a co worker the other day that when I was in school in the '70s and early '80s if there was a fight you fought with fists and then you both went home. Now, many times, one or both goes to the hospital or morgue and one sometimes goes to prison. There are many ways to deal with arguments but just walking away is considered weak instead of sensible. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I’m curious to what made it “capital “ murder?

Firing into a vehicle. Discharging a Firearm into an occupied Dwelling or Vehicle (as well as firing from a vehicle) and killing someone is an enhancement in Alabama. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Man, so senseless.  smh

It’s called the culture of death.  They have grown up not valuing the lives of others and even their own. Carrying a firearm makes it too easy for them to escalate violence.  They have taken the lives of a mother, made a child an orphan, and thrown their own lives away. 

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Firing into a vehicle. Discharging a Firearm into an occupied Dwelling or Vehicle (as well as firing from a vehicle) and killing someone is an enhancement in Alabama. 

It also allows prosecutors to negotiate a plea bargain. Possibly get one defendant to testify against the other. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know which of the two were hit when the boyfriend returned fire? Where Miles and the other guy both armed and firing?

https://www.yahoo.com/now/jerry-stackhouse-used-alabama-basketball-042337326.html

How Jerry Stackhouse used Alabama basketball Darius Miles' murder charge in pregame speech

Coach Jerry Stackhouse said he emphasized the circumstances around the Alabama basketball team in a pregame speech for his Vanderbilt basketball team Tuesday, referencing Alabama player Darius Miles, who was removed from the team after being charged with capital murder.

According to court documents, investigators believe Miles provided a gun used to shoot and kill Jamea Jonae Harris, a 23-year-old woman, in Tuscaloosa in the early hours of Sunday morning after an argument. Investigators believe Michael Lynn Davis pulled the trigger. Miles and Davis were both charged with capital murder Sunday.

Alabama traveled to Nashville and beat Vanderbilt, 78-66, at Memorial Gymnasium.

Stackhouse said that prior to the game, he told his team to honor both the victim and the family of Miles while recognizing the opportunity the players have to continue playing the game. Miles was in his third season with Alabama.

"I can't believe it, I can't fathom them even playing this game," Stackhouse said. "My pregame speech, I may have even put a damper on it ... because it was just like, man, we should just go out and honor the victims, honor this kid that we all know and have competed against whose life is changed forever. Just go out and be thankful. This game ain't nothing, nothing.

"I'm so hurt for that kid's family, that young lady's family that didn't feel like they were going to be losing their loved one ... and we're here to win a basketball game, so just be thankful that you have this opportunity to come out and compete. That's all I said. You've got this opportunity and a kid that we got to know and compete against, that probably doesn't ever happen for him again."

• 1 month later...

I hope every fanbase that Bama plays is relentless in harassing this team.  I hope every coach that is competing for a player against Bama points out the leadership and kind of individuals that play for this team.  This is one of the worst things I've ever seen from a coach.  I also find it hard to believe that supplying a weapon at 1:30am that is used shortly after to murder someone isn't a crime questionable.  I hope there is some serious legal scrutiny of that as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I hope every fanbase that Bama plays is relentless in harassing this team.  I hope every coach that is competing for a player against Bama points out the leadership and kind of individuals that play for this team.  This is one of the worst things I've ever seen from a coach.  I also find it hard to believe that supplying a weapon at 1:30am that is used shortly after to murder someone isn't a crime questionable.  I hope there is some serious legal scrutiny of that as well. 

Not only that, but Miller and Jaden Bradley blocked the vehicle Jamea was in so they couldn’t leave. “Wrong spot at the wrong time” my butt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Supplied the gun used in a murder AND was present for the murder but no charges?? Thats some next level Tuscaloosa home cooking right there. 

• Like 5

I cannot believe he wasn’t charged but regardless he is morally responsible-had he not brought the gun there would not have been a murder. Oat’s response was awful also!

• Like 3

Seems f'd up to me too. It's curious about the level of his involvment to get off scott free; but the coach still putting the guy on the court is just greasy.

• Like 1

Not responsible criminally! I agree with that. I’m not about trumping up charges against non-offenders. 
    But he won’t play on any team I’m coaching or supporting. That’s where you stand on something and hope he and other young people learn that accountability stretches beyond the scope of justice system. No message was sent. Opportunity missed. 

6 minutes ago, fishepa said:

This whole thing is cringe worthy.  Yikes.  The pressure is mounting now.

Mount it. I had 5 minutes of finebom just now, this story is the theme

• Like 1

From a basketball perspective, I would love for Miller to be ruled ineligible. We lost Okeke for our championship worthy team. Only fair they lose their best player. 

Seriously pretty messed up this lady would still be alive without his involvement. 

• Like 1

I’m just glad the national guys are jumping on this and burying Oats.  Has the “Miller was blocking her car” stuff been confirmed or just a rumor going around?

• Like 1