Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

image.thumb.png.a47a68a64645911e18a7dc33c10ef3d1.png
Date set for Auburn's first spring game under Hugh Freeze

47 minutes ago

The first spring game of the Hugh Freezeera at Auburn is locked on.

The Tigers will conclude 2023 spring practices with their annual A-Day game inside Jordan-Hare Stadium on April 8, the program announced Tuesday morning.

Based on the timeline of the spring game, Auburn should get spring football practices under way the second week of March.

Teams are allotted 15 days of spring practices, and Auburn uses a few of them — usually on weekends — for scrimmages. Auburn has also made several scrimmages open to the public over the past couple years.

Last year's A-Day MVPs were quarterback Robby Ashford, linebacker Cam Riley and kicker Ben Patton.

10COMMENTS

This week, Auburn began its winter workouts under new strength coach Dominic Studzinski, with early freshman enrollees and a few transfers now on campus. Freeze's staff has been hard at work hitting the transfer portal, currently with the nation's No. 4 transfer class, per 247Sports rankings. 

Auburn hired Freeze in late November to replace the ousted Bryan Harsin, who went 9-12 in less than two seasons on the Plains.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

In my opinion we don’t usually learn a ton from Aday performances. How many MVPs on this day turn out to be an anomaly. Having said that, I believe we can glean quite a bit from this one. We have so many new players that it’ll be our first glimpse at what we have. The biggest for me is the qb situation. I really hope we get a transfer in time for spring ball because that could be the difference in our season for 2023. What say you?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, toddc said:

In my opinion we don’t usually learn a ton from Aday performances. How many MVPs on this day turn out to be an anomaly. Having said that, I believe we can glean quite a bit from this one. We have so many new players that it’ll be our first glimpse at what we have. The biggest for me is the qb situation. I really hope we get a transfer in time for spring ball because that could be the difference in our season for 2023. What say you?

I've always been fooled by spring game performances.  Some great performances never see the field much (or at much lesser success) once the fall comes around.

There was a really good transfer QB that Freeze wanted, but the QB "returned to his school", reportedly due to academic transfer problems.  Is there a possibility this QB could repair his academics and transfer to AU after the summer term?

• Love 2

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Nope, but I imagine a lot of people will make many assumptions on a limited playbook and time length. I will just be excited to see AU football again. I also do not think our QB will be here by spring.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2023 at 11:22 AM, toddc said:

I think the coaches and players will learn more from the spring practices than we fans will learn. That's not entirely a bad thing. I'm hoping Holden Geriner shows out at QB, he's said to have the potential and his skill set is more conventional than our other options there.

• Like 6

• WarTiger changed the title to Date Set for A-Day Game
On 1/18/2023 at 9:41 AM, Win4AU said:

Barrett was better than Cam in 2009 A day.  
Aday is a nice excuse to go to Auburn and do Auburn things. 

Agree. I didn't even bother to watch the last 3 or 4 A Day game. But i agree it's great for a nice family day in Auburn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh Freeze reveals what he hopes to accomplish during Auburn's spring football

Hugh Freeze, Liberty Flames football coach Liberty football coach Hugh Freeze conducts a post-game interview on the field on Dec. 21, 2019. (James Gilbert / Getty Images)

Going into Auburn‘s spring football practice, new coach Hugh Freeze isn’t looking to put in complex schemes that will help the Tigers take the SEC by storm.

If that happens, great. But Freeze is first focused on making sure Auburn is sound fundamentally.

“I really want us to get in spring ball and get good at something, particularly offensively,” Freeze said. “What can our quarterbacks do? And how can we make that look different and what different things can we do with what they can do?”

So don’t be surprised if you don’t see a lot of complex looks in Auburn’s spring football practices.

That stuff is likely to come at a later date.

“We’ve got plenty of time in fall camp and the week for a gameplan to add some of this auxiliary stuff in if we think that’s going to help us win a game, but truthfully what can we do on offense that we feel like our personnel can do that we currently have?” Freeze said. “Then defensively, man, we must play hard and we must be physical and we must tackle well.”

Auburn spring football about the fundamentals

Like on offense and figuring out what the quarterbacks can do before trying to get complex, the defense will also be focused on the fundamentals.

What exactly Auburn will run remains to be seen, but Freeze wants to make sure the basics are in order first.

There will be an emphasis on forcing takeaways, too.

“I don’t care if we get two fronts in, let’s get all of those things down and go get the ball and take the ball away,” Freeze said. “Those will be my focus. I’m not real caught up. I told them this morning in staff I don’t care if we have just three install days and the rest are just us getting better at those three things that we installed on those days. I really could care less how much we get in.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, A-Day... many good times. Nothing like a good old fashioned, early season, one-side-of-the-face sunburn. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Systems said:

Nothing like a good old fashioned, early season, one-side-of-the-face sunburn. 

That is so true

1975 A Day

Jordan - Hare Stadium Auburn | Around May 1975 A Day Game. W… | Flickr

1970 Cliff Hare Stadium

Auburn Uniforms on Twitter: "Petition to bring back the striped bleachers  at Jordan-Hare Stadium 😍⠀ https://t.co/KWstRKnW2s https://t.co/CYfj3xlTUJ"  / Twitter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

1970 Cliff Hare Stadium

Auburn Uniforms on Twitter: "Petition to bring back the striped bleachers  at Jordan-Hare Stadium 😍⠀ https://t.co/KWstRKnW2s https://t.co/CYfj3xlTUJ"  / Twitter

I think I remember seeing players walk to the field house, in the bottom left corner of this photo, after games. I think that building housed most of the athletic offices also.

Hard to imagine Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley played in this stadium but they must have because they were there for the sixty-nine, seventy, and seventy-one seasons.

Their fame probably contributed to the seventy-five version of the stadium that looks much improved.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2023 at 12:19 PM, WillMunny said:

I've always been fooled by spring game performances.  Some great performances never see the field much (or at much lesser success) once the fall comes around.

There was a really good transfer QB that Freeze wanted, but the QB "returned to his school", reportedly due to academic transfer problems.  Is there a possibility this QB could repair his academics and transfer to AU after the summer term?

do not feel bad. i have been fooled by a day games for forty plus years. that is a freeze dried fact. somehow that last statement just did not have the zing i was hoping for..........

• Haha 1

if anyone sees any scrimmage dates open to the public please post it. thanx in advance.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:49 PM, Mikey said:

I think the coaches and players will learn more from the spring practices than we fans will learn. That's not entirely a bad thing. I'm hoping Holden Geriner shows out at QB, he's said to have the potential and his skill set is more conventional than our other options there.

i hope we see enough out of ANY QB to give us some hope for the coming year. i could care less who it is i just want a winner.

• toddc changed the title to Date Set for A-Day Game with Practice Schedule
  • 2 weeks later...

Auburn spring preview: How the transfers fit in

3 hours ago

This time next week, football will be back on the Plains.

The first practices of the Hugh Freeze era get under way next Monday, as Auburn is set for an early start to spring ball this year. The new coaching staff will get their first chance to work with the Tigers, implement new schemes on both sides of the ball, acclimate newcomers from high school and the transfer ranks, and evaluate where the team stands as a whole and what areas of emphasis will need to be moving forward.

Things culminate April 8 with the first A-Day spring game of the Freeze era.

All week, Auburn Undercover will continue to preview a different facet of Auburn's upcoming spring practices until things get rolling on Monday — from wild-card players to freshman fits to position battles to depth charts.

We’ll get started with a look at the Tigers’ 12 transfer additions — who are all on campus after Freeze put together what 247Sports currently has rated as the No. 5 transfer haul in the country — and what to watch from each of them in fitting with their new position rooms.

OT Dillon Wade (Tulsa)

What to watch for: How much competition will there be for Wade at left tackle? Auburn’s new staff — spearheaded by Philip Montgomery, the new OC who coached Wade at Tulsa — brought in the highly touted transfer to be a pillar at left tackle. And the Tigers don’t have much in the way of returning tackle experience. It wouldn’t be far-fetched to assume Wade will get first-team reps early; his biggest competition is probably either redshirt sophomore Colby Smith or JUCO addition Izavion Miller.

What they said: “The way he handled some really good rushers there at Ole Miss, the way he handled those guys, the way he brought — he didn't look out of place. And a lot of times, the O-line will look out of place when they're playing a bigger school, but D-Wade did not look like that. Obviously, that's why he was so sought after in the transfer portal. Looking forward to seeing him shine here at Auburn." — OL coach Jake Thornton

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to A-Day Game Updates and Schedule

Auburn spring preview: 5 sophomores who could surge

81 minutes ago

The first practices of the Hugh Freeze era get under way next Monday, as Auburn is set for an early start to spring ball this year. The new coaching staff will get their first chance to work with the Tigers, implement new schemes on both sides of the ball, acclimate newcomers from high school and the transfer ranks, and evaluate where the team stands as a whole and what areas of emphasis will need to be moving forward.

All week, Auburn Undercover will continue to preview a different facet of Auburn's upcoming spring practices until things get rolling on Monday — from wild-card players to freshman fits to position battles to depth charts.

Next up is a look at five sophomores — second-year players from the 2022 class, so some may be listed as redshirt freshmen — who could be in line to take a step forward with another offseason in the program, starting with opportunities in spring practice.

QB Holden Geriner

Why not Geriner? As Freeze has stated multiple times, Auburn’s quarterbacks — and the rest of the roster, at that — are going to get a clean slate from him and his staff as it pertains to their previous contributions in 2022. For Geriner, the highest-rated recruit in Auburn’s quarterback room, that’s just a couple drives against Missouri when Robby Ashford sustained a minor injury.

The 6-foot-3, 212-pound pocket passer is still an untapped talent, and with Freeze’s ability to develop quarterbacks in the past, the redshirt freshman shouldn’t be counted out of the competition this spring. Ashford has plenty of issues that need mending with his passing abilities, and T.J. Finley has struggled to find consistency now heading into his third year with the program.

The older, more experienced QBs may get the early nods for first-team reps, but it’d be surprising if Freeze doesn’t let Geriner sling it around in spring ball. Auburn’s players and coaches said since he arrived on campus that he throws one of the prettiest balls they’ve ever seen, so his tools as a passer aren’t in question. There’s no reason Geriner shouldn’t be considered a contender for the starting job.

RB Damari Alston

The former 4-star recruit from Atlanta was able to flash some of his ball-carrying abilities as a true freshman, finishing with 14 carries for 85 yards as the No. 3 option in the backfield behind Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter.

With Bigsby off to the NFL, Alston could continue to make strides and receive an increased role in 2023. He’ll have to compete with USF transfer Brian Battie, who was a 1,000-yard rusher in 2022, plus true freshman and 4-star recruit Jeremiah Cobb when he arrives in fall camp.

Alston has familiarity with Cadillac Williams, though, and has earned his trust heading into his true sophomore season. Regardless of the competition around him, Alston has earned more carries this spring, as he continues to develop his body and skill set into that of a capable SEC rusher.

WR Camden Brown

Perhaps no Auburn freshman displayed a higher ceiling in 2022 than Brown, who had nine catches for 123 yards and a pair of touchdowns against LSU and Arkansas.

He didn't play as much as Auburn's more veteran receivers, but that’s likely to change with another year of experience. Plus, Brown’s frame at 6-foot-3 and 202 pounds — coupled with the fact that he showed his ability to be a consistent red-zone target — makes him one of just a couple options the Tigers have in the passing game in terms of big-bodied receivers. Cincinnati transfer Nick Mardner will likely be the other top option at outside receiver, checking in at 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds. Landen King is 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds but has been more of a big slot target in his limited playing time the past two years.

Brown resembles some of the tall and physical receivers Freeze had success with at Ole Miss, and athleticism certainly isn’t a question mark for the sophomore. His snaps were limited in 2022, so Freeze and his staff will see what kind of production they can get with a bigger, more consistent role for Brown. Those within the program believe he has the potential to be a go-to target in the passing game within the next year or so.

LB Robert Woodyard

The top recruit in Auburn's 2022 class, Woodyard got his feet wet on special teams as a true freshman but still maintained a redshirt. It’s also worth noting the former Alabama commit spent a good portion of his first offseason with the program recovering from the season-ending knee injury he suffered as a senior at Williamson High School in Mobile.

Auburn addressed its depth needs in the linebacking corps via the transfer portal, adding Ole Miss starter Austin Keys and LSU youngster Demario Tolan, but a healthy Woodyard certainly has the talent and size — at 6-foot-1 and 240 pounds — to develop into a contributor within the defense this season. After all, the linebackers are under new management with position coach Josh Aldridge, and the group doesn’t necessarily have much star power returning from last season. 

CB J.D. Rhym

After settling in for a few games, Rhym emerged as Auburn's No. 4 cornerback behind D.J. James, Nehemiah Pritchett and Jaylin Simpson. And when Simpson moved to safety late in the year due to injuries, Rhym had six tackles and a pass breakup in Auburn's last four games. 

The Tigers' top producing true freshman on defense, Rhym looks to have a bright future in the secondary. The return of James and Pritchett, who both spurned the NFL draft and will be looking to reprise their starting cornerback roles, likely keeps Rhym a year away from being a starter.

But the former 4-star prospect didn’t disappoint when his playing time increased in 2022, and despite a loaded secondary returning all 11 players who took a snap last season — and adding a few more pieces in recruiting — Rhym has earned his spot in the rotation. He’ll look to improve further with another season of Zac Etheridge’s tutelage, plus the addition of Wesley McGriff to split duties coaching the secondary, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auburn spring preview: How the freshmen fit in

ByNATHAN KING Feb 21, 11:13 AM

Share4 Comments

All week, Auburn Undercover will continue to preview a different facet of Auburn's upcoming spring practices until things get rolling on Monday — from wild-card players to freshman fits to position battles to depth charts.

Next up is a look at the Tigers’ eight early enrollee freshmen, plus a JUCO addition, and what to watch from each in fitting in with their new position rooms in the spring.

(247Sports)

IOL Connor Lew 

247Sports position rank: No. 33 IOL

What to watch: Before the addition of ECU transfer Avery Jones, there was legitimate buzz that Lew might be able to compete right away for Auburn’s starting center spot. A huge flip from Miami, Lew is one of the top center prospects in the country and will look to build on an already impressive frame of 6-foot-3 and 280 pounds. While Jones will likely command first-team reps by the end of the spring, don’t count out Lew as a competitor in that room throughout practices.

IOL Clay Wedin

247Sports position rank: No. 37

Watch to watch: Coming from 2A competition in Florida, there might be an adjustment period for Wedin, but he certainly has the size to help that process along. At 6-foot-6 and 295 pounds, Wedin was recruited by Auburn as a guard but played everywhere along the line in high school. He likely won’t be pressured to contribute immediately, with Auburn returning players like Kameron Stutts and Jeremiah Wright with starting experience at guard.

IOL Bradyn Joiner

247Sports position rank: No. 42 IOL

What to watch: From Auburn High School, Joiner remained loyal with his commitment to the Tigers’ previous staff. Another center prospect, Joiner isn’t as highly rated or as athletically polished as Lew, so it may take him a couple seasons to begin impacting the depth chart.

OT Izavion Miller (JUCO)

247Sports position rank: No. 2 OT

What to watch: New Auburn offensive line coach Jake Thornton was able to flip Miller from Ole Miss, Thornton’s previous school, to Auburn, filling a huge need for experienced players at the tackle spots. A top-10 overall JUCO player in the country for the 2023 class, “Too Tall” Miller checks in at 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds. Auburn’s transfer pickups of Dillon Wade (Tulsa) and Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky) will likely be Miller’s primary competition at tackle, considering Auburn doesn’t return any players with starting experience at either tackle spot.

(247Sports)

DE Keldric Faulk

247Sports position rank: No. 10 DL

What to watch: The crown jewel of Auburn’s 2023 class after flipping from Florida State, Faulk not only brings oozing talent to the Tigers’ defensive front, but he does so at a thin position group without any star power. Faulk is listed on Auburn’s roster as a Jack linebacker, the new terminology for a pure pass-rushing role, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him competing right away for a primary spot in the rotation with redshirt sophomore Dylan Brooksand Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister.

DE Wilky Denaud

247Sports position rank: No. 49 DL

What to watch: A freak athlete at 6-foot-4 and 295 pounds, Denaud was mostly an edge rusher in high school but isn’t listed with Auburn’s Jack group currently. Like Faulk, he has the size to play defensive end and the athleticism to stand up as an outside linebacker. He’s not necessarily entering a massive position of need, especially with the Tigers’ transfer portal pickups, but his strength and size for a freshman will turn some heads this spring.

DE Brenton Williams

247Sports position rank: No. 73 EDGE

What to watch: Anyone in Auburn’s pass-rusher group has an opportunity this spring. With Brooks as the only returning player, Auburn’s staff will keep their eyes open for any possible contributors, and that includes Williams, a local standout from Opelika High School. Williams won’t be pressured to step up right away if he’s not ready, but he does possess impressive speed off the edge at 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds.

DT Stephen Johnson

247Sports position rank: No. 156 DL

What to watch: A flip from Arkansas late in the recruiting cycle, Johnson adds more depth to Jeremy Garrett’s room. At 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds, he’ll likely have an opportunity to compete for the No. 3 nose tackle spot behind Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers and returnee Jayson Jones.

(247Sports)

CB Kayin Lee

247Sports position rank: No. 16 CB

4COMMENTS

What to watch: A loaded Auburn secondary — which returns all 11 players who took a snap last season — got even more good news when Zac Etheridge and Auburn’s staff flipped Lee from Ohio State. An Under Armour All-American along with Lew and Faulk, Lee was heralded as a physical and hard-hitting defensive back. Lee can likely develop at his own pace, joining a cluster of high ceiling youngsters on Auburn’s back end.

• Thanks 1

Avery Jernigan no longer with the Auburn football team

Justin Hokanson

Avery Jernigan (Photo by Getty Images)

AUBURN — Reserve offensive lineman Avery Jernigan will not be a part of Auburn’s football roster as spring camp starts on February 27, sources tell Auburn Live.

Jernigan, hailing from Blackshear, Ga., did not see action in 2020 or 2021 before finally getting snaps against Western Kentucky at the end of the 2022 season. Jernigan earned SEC academic honor roll acknowledgement last fall.

JOIN AUBURN LIVE NOW FOR $29.99 AND RECEIVE ACCESS UNTIL AUGUST 31

Ranked as the No. 458 overall prospect in the 2019 class by the On3 Sports Consensus player rankings, the 6-foot-3, 310-pound Jernigan chose Auburn over Nebraska, Kentucky, Florida State, South Carolina and others. He was ranked the No. 26 interior offensive lineman and No. 50 player in the state of Georgia.

Avery Jernigan would have been a redshirt junior entering the 2023 season with the option of using his Covid season as an additional season of eligibility.

While not projected to start, Jernigan’s departure does impact the overall depth along an Auburn offensive line already going through a massive rebuild.

When asked about his early evaluations of the position, new offensive line coach Jake Thornton said this during roundtable interviews in early February:

“I had an idea of what the needs were. I grabbed a computer the first couple of days out on the road and at night, I was watching all of the previous games from this past season, watching the growth of certain guys,” he said. “Maybe there’s guys that started at a position that I’m going to put here. And relying on Kendall and Joe that have watched those guys. I had an idea of what we needed and what we didn’t. We didn’t just go into the portal and say we need this guy, this guy, this guy. We watched the tape, did an eval of it, personnel department did a good job of watching these guys, and collectively said based on what we have coming back to help us win in 2023, this is what we need to go get. That’s how we molded it.”

RELATED: EVALUATING THE OFFENSIVE LINE AS SPRING CAMP APPROACHES

Returners along the offensive line include Jeremiah Wright, Tate Johnson, Kam Stutts, Jalil Irvin, Colby Smith, Garner Langlo and EJ Harris. Newcomers along the offensive line include Gunner Britton, Dillon Wade, Avery Jones, Izavion Miller, Conner Lew, Bradyn Joiner and Clay Wedin.

Thornton believes the group is capable of helping Auburn reach its goals this fall.

“I think we have the group of talent coming back, a great group of young players coming in, and a great group of transfers coming in,” Thornton said. “As long as we put in the work together, with the style of offense we play we’re going to highlight our strengths and we’re going to play hard and fast, we’re going to put pressure on defenses. I’m excited about getting it rolling.”

Sucks from a numbers stand-point.  He'd probably been a scout teamer type.

I'd guess he's got his degree or is about to wrap up this spring and is just moving on.

Auburn spring preview: 10 wild cards to watch

ByNATHAN KING 8 hours ago

Share4 Comments

We'll continue with a look at five wild cards to watch on each side of the ball — players who possess an eclectic skill set and whose contributions for the upcoming season can best be described as unpredictable.

(Jason Caldwell / 247Sports)

QB T.J. Finley

To count Finley out of Auburn’s quarterback race this spring would be to ignore the senior’s previous offseason accomplishments. 

Yes, Finley had a rough three-game tenure as Auburn’s starting quarterback in 2022 — one touchdown to four interceptions before his injury against Penn State — but he’s already beaten out Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner in practice settings once before. Finley’s experience helped him secure the starting job last preseason, but after Ashford proved to be a more dynamic threat, Finley wasn’t able to regain ground in the QB room.

Finley spent a couple weeks away from the program at the end of the season and didn’t suit up for Auburn’s last four games of the season. But as Freeze has reiterated, he doesn’t necessarily care about what Auburn’s quarterbacks have done in the past. What matters now is how they respond to his coaching this spring, and in the case of Finley, the physical tools are certainly present, and Freeze and his staff will attempt to tap into them and help Finley find some consistency for the first time in his career.

C Tate Johnson

Regardless of how many strides Johnson was already making last preseason before Nick Brahms decided to medically retire, him being thrown into the starting role at center just a couple weeks before the season started was a tough ask for a player who had little prior experience in the SEC.

As a result, Johnson severely struggled, particularly in pass protection, before a season-ending elbow injury in Week 4 against Missouri. Now that he’s back, how does the 6-foot-4, 285-pound redshirt junior stack up against the competition in the room?

East Carolina transfer Avery Jones was rated by 247Sports as the No. 1 center available in the transfer portal, and it’s fair to assume he’ll get a strong look as the first-team option early in spring ball. But Johnson impressed and stepped up into the backup center spot last offseason for a reason, and perhaps his starting experience within the offense will play a role in his continued contention for playing time.

(Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

WR Malcolm Johnson Jr.

Can Freeze’s passing game finally unlock Johnson Jr.’s talent? The former 4-star recruit, who reclassified from the 2021 class and joined the Tigers in 2020, has yet to make much of an impact in the receiving corps, despite his impressive speed and veteran status in the room.

Last year, Johnson Jr. dealt with a lower body injury and ended up appearing in only six games, catching only two passes for 28 yards. He has just eight receptions in his Auburn career.

Johnson Jr. could have easily transferred out after the second coaching change of his college career, but he opted to stay and continue to work toward a bigger role within the offense. At 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, he has the speed to contribute in the slot, and he’s carried the ball four times from a flanker position, too. The blank slate of Auburn’s new offense, coupled with the Tigers’ fifth receivers coach in the past five years, could allow Johnson Jr. to take advantage of a reset button.

WR Landen King

Auburn fans have drooled over King’s potential as a big-bodied target in the passing game since he first started to flash as a true freshman, but the 2022 campaign didn’t feature much of King’s talents. After switching from tight end to receiver full time, King appeared in the first three games, then opted to sit out the year for a redshirt.

King then entered the transfer portal a couple weeks later, but he withdrew and returned to the Tigers’ new staff. New Auburn tight ends coach Ben Aigamaua said earlier this month that King will spend most of his time working in Marcus Davis’ receivers room, but also that he won’t be surprised if King works back at tight end in a few formations.

King has shown his ability to impact the game when given the opportunity, and it’s well past time for Auburn to get his 6-foot-5, 220-pound frame involved in the passing attack more consistently. 

WR Tar’Varish Dawson

Another transfer portal withdrawal, Dawson was complimented by the previous coaching staff for his improvement and maturation last offseason. Then, despite receiving the nod as Auburn’s starting slot receiver in Week 1, Dawson appeared in four of the first five games, then left the team a few days before Bryan Harsin was fired and later entered the portal.

Freeze and Auburn’s new staff were able to reel him back in, adding another former 4-star prospect with speed and athleticism to the receiving corps equation in 2023. Like Johnson Jr., Dawson (two career receptions) has little in the way of previous production with the team — and senior Ja'Varrius Johnson returns at the slot position, too — but his raw talent can’t be disputed, and it wouldn’t be surprising if he puts together another praiseworthy offseason of work.

(Jake Crandall / Syndication: Montgomery Advertiser, USA TODAY Sports)

DL Zykeivous Walker

It seems Walker has held the distinction of being a wild-card player for Auburn’s defensive line the past couple seasons. 

In conjunction with a knee injury that added to his recovery from a 2021 shoulder injury, Walker took some personal time away from the team during the early stages of the 2022 season. He returned and played in the Georgia game in Week 6, but didn’t play the following two games and ended up leaving the team as part of the exodus of player departures before Harsin’s ouster. He entered the portal but was yet another withdrawal win for Auburn’s new staff.

A former top-100 overall recruit, Walker showed flashes of being an SEC-ready defensive lineman when he was playing as a true freshman in 2020. But a myriad of factors have limited his contributions since. If Walker can get those cleared out of his path, the 6-foot-4, 304-pound athlete has the talent and size to take advantage of opportunities presented by a new coaching staff.

JACK Dylan Brooks

The only returning player from what was previously called Auburn’s edge rusher position, Brooks’ time is now to step up and make good on the talent and expectations that saw him as a top-100 overall prospect and the No. 1 recruit in the Tigers’ 2021 haul.

After redshirting his first season without seeing the field, Brooks saw action in 10 of 12 games in 2022, especially after Eku Leota suffered his season-ending pectoral injury in Week 5. Serving as the third option in the rotation, Brooks tallied six tackles, a sack, a fumble recovery and a batted pass. His highlight moment came in the overtime loss at Mississippi State, when Brooks recovered a strip-sack fumble forced by Jeffrey M’ba.

Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister and true freshman Keldric Faulk, a top-100 recruit in the 2023 class, will likely be Brooks’ primary competition.

(Jon Korduner, Getty)

LB Demario Tolan

One of two SEC West transfer pickups for Auburn in the linebacking corps, Tolan is a younger, raw talent, while Austin Keys started nine games for Ole Miss in 2022 and could be a plug-and-play addition at middle linebacker. 

That makes Tolan essentially a retroactive 2022 recruit for Auburn, especially after the Tigers were recruiting him hard before he chose LSU. To sweeten the deal further, Tolan got his fair share of SEC experience as a freshman, appearing in six games.

Despite returning five scholarship players, that group doesn’t pack a big punch after four-year starter Owen Pappoe left for the NFL. The unit also is under new management with position coach Josh Aldridge. That could open the door for a young, talented athlete like Tolan — who can likely play a couple different spots at 6-foot-2 and 22 pounds — to come in and earn some early reps in spring practices.

LB Eugene Asante

The former North Carolina transfer isn’t mentioned much in Auburn’s linebacker equation for 2023 after he played only five snaps on defense in his first season with the Tigers. But like Walker, Asante was away from the team for a couple weeks during spring practices for personal reasons, and the previous coaching staff also referenced an injury.

Asante’s experience from the ACC remains, where he appeared in 17 games and started four as a Tar Heel. 

DB Jaylin Simpson

Where will Auburn slot Simpson this spring? After injuries on the back end to Zion Puckett, then Donovan Kaufman, Simpson slid back from his cornerback spot and started the final four games of the season for Auburn at safety. He shined in that role, with two interceptions and four pass breakups during that stretch.

4COMMENTS

But with Puckett and Kaufman both healthy, where does Simpson fit into the secondary? He’s certainly a starting-caliber player, and perhaps returning to his previous role in the main cornerback rotation with D.J. Jamesand Nehemiah Pritchett is in play. But Simpson’s strong production at safety can’t be ignored, and returning position coach Zac Etheridge saw it first hand.

With good length at 6-foot-1, Simpson could also try his hand at the “Star” position, which is new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts’ version of the nickel spot. At the end of the day, the senior could conceivably play all across the secondary, and Etheridge and new assistant Wesley McGriff will be looking to maximize his contributions.

• Thanks 1

I

Auburn spring preview: Position battles to watch

ByNATHAN KING 21 hours ago

In just a few days' time, football will be back on the Plains.

The first practices of the Hugh Freeze era get under way Monday, as Auburn is set for an early start to spring ball this year. The new coaching staff will get their first chance to work with the Tigers, implement new schemes on both sides of the ball, acclimate newcomers from high school and the transfer ranks, and evaluate where the team stands as a whole and what areas of emphasis will need to be moving forward.

We'll continue with a look at the key position battles to monitor throughout spring ball.

11322714.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Jason Caldwell / 247Sports)

Quarterback

2022 starter(s): Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley

Contenders: Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley, Holden Geriner

Experience: Finley started the first three games of the season after winning the job in preseason camp. The former LSU transfer suffered a shoulder injury against Penn State, though, giving way to Ashford for the rest of the season. Geriner played only two drives all season — when Ashford checked out of the Missouri game briefly with an injury.

What to watch: Ashford surely has earned the benefit of the doubt for first-team reps early in camp, but Freeze and his new offensive staff will want to get a first-hand look at all the quarterbacks’ passing capabilities alongside the primary offensive line and receivers. Ashford and Finley were both highly inconsistent last season, so the door is plenty open for Geriner to make strides. It will be intriguing to watch how they respond to a new passing game and offense, and how Freeze and company are able to hone in on Ashford’s dynamic skill set.

Left tackle

2022 starter(s): Kilian Zierer

Contenders: Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton

Experience: Wade started all last season for Tulsa at left tackle, while Britton split starts at Western Kentucky at both right and left tackle. 

What to watch: Auburn and new offensive line coach Jake Thornton likely have an idea of where they want their two highly rated transfer additions to start, but it still won’t be surprising if they give Wade and Britton a chance to stretch their legs at both tackle spots. Wade is a left tackle through and through, but if Britton proves himself more effective at the position, Wade could slide over to the right side. Vice versa seems the more likely case.

Left guard

2022 starter(s): Brandon Council, Kameron Stutts, Jeremiah Wright

Contenders: Kameron Stutts, Jeremiah Wright, Garner Langlo

Experience: After Council had to take over starting center duties a few games into the season, Stutts swapped starting guard spots. Wright emerged, though, over the course of the year, started the Ole Miss game in Week 7 and continued to rotate almost evenly with Stutts at left guard the rest of the season.

What to watch: Thornton seemed high on Wright’s potential earlier this month, when he said the monstrous 6-foot-5, 335-pounder is “someone we can build this unit around.” Considering their experience compared to other interior linemen on the roster, Wright and Stutts are the two most probable starters at the moment for either guard spot, and Stutts obviously has the experience playing both.

11499422.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Stephen Igoe, Getty)

Center

2022 starter(s): Tate Johnson, Brandon Council

Contenders: Avery Jones, Tate Johnson

Experience: The No. 1 transfer center per 247Sports rankings, Jones makes the jump to the SEC after two years starting for East Carolina. Johnson started the first four games for Auburn in 2022 before a season-ending elbow injury.

What to watch: In terms of past production, the comparison between Jones and Johnson isn’t exactly even. Jones was one of the best pass-protecting linemen in the county last season and has 30-plus starts at center and left guard in his career, while Johnson severely struggled up front for the Tigers before his injury. Still, Johnson is the returnee and should be healthy and competitive. 

Right guard

2022 starter(s): Alec Jackson, Kameron Stutts

Experience: Langlo, a redshirt sophomore, has yet to appear in a game with the Tigers but repped at guard as a reserve during preseason practices. Stutts is the runaway leader here in terms of solely returning experience.

What to watch: The Tigers don’t have much guard depth on the roster, with Stutts and Wright serving as the only players who have ever taken a snap at either guard spot. True freshman early enrollee and Under Armour All-American Connor Lew has a polished skill set could be a dark horse to work in possibly as a second-teamer at guard.

Right tackle

2022 starter(s): Austin Troxell, Brenden Coffey

Contenders: Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton, Izavion Miller

Experience: Miller, rated as the No. 2 JUCO offensive tackle in the country, started at right tackle for Southwest Mississippi Community College.

What to watch: Auburn likely has a couple capable options here, if it ends up being a head-to-head between Britton and Miller — who are 6-foot-6, 305 pounds and 6-foot-6, 320 pounds, respectively. 

11639765.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off (Chris McDill, Getty)

Outside/X receiver

2022 starter(s): Shedrick Jackson

Contenders: Camden Brown, Nick Mardner

Experience: The Cincinnati transfer Mardner had 913 yards and five touchdowns playing for Auburn’s new receivers coach, Marcus Davis, when the two were together at Hawaii in 2021. A rising sophomore, Brown was one of the most exciting young players in Auburn’s offense last season, snaring nine passes for 123 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

What to watch: Auburn has nearly 2,000 career snaps to replace from Jackson, a fifth-year senior and second-year starter last season. But Jackson was never the most productive in the passing game, and the Tigers probably have a higher ceiling on the outside this year. Mardner is far more experienced, though Brown is an undeniably physical red-zone target at 6-foot-3 and 202 pounds. A starting pecking order isn’t as important this spring as getting the two comfortable within the new offense.

Nose tackle

2022 starter(s): Jayson Jones

Contenders: Jayson Jones, Justin Rogers

Experience: A former Oregon transfer, Jones filled a void for the Tigers in 2022 and was the primary option at nose. Rogers comes over from Kentucky, where he was a former top-60 overall prospect and developed into a starting force last season. He also sought after by Alabama and LSU on the transfer market.

What to watch: Jones wasn't the most consistent player on the interior last season and didn't often make a sizable impact on the game. Rogers had all the production that a defense can ask for from a nose tackle, nearly tripling Jones' tackles despite only playing 80 more snaps. It will be a new defensive scheme for both players.

11639755.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

Jack linebacker

2022 starter(s): Derrick Hall, Eku Leota

Contenders: Dylan Brooks, Elijah McAllister, Keldric Faulk

Experience: McAllister, a Vanderbilt transfer, brings 34 career game appearances to the mix at what remains one of the thinnest position groups on Auburn’s roster. Brooks is the only returning player on the roster with experience at the pass-rusher spot, and Faulk is the Tigers’ highest-rated prospect in their 2023 class.

What to watch: This is one of the more unpredictable groups on the roster. Brooks has experience under his belt now, after playing an increased role in 2022 following Leota’s injury, but neither he nor McAllister have shown themselves to be high-level contributors — yet. Meanwhile, Faulk is a superb athlete at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, and if there’s any spot on the roster where a true freshman could start right away, it’s here.

Middle linebacker

2022 starter(s): Owen Pappoe

Contenders: Austin Keys, Wesley Steiner, Robert Woodyard

Experience: Keys started six games this past season for Ole Miss, with 39 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss and a forced fumble. Steiner was a mainstay in the linebacking corps for Auburn before he played only a few snaps over the final four games of the year. Woodyard, the top recruit in Auburn’s 2022 class, contributed only on special teams as a true freshman while recovering from a knee injury.

What to watch: Keys appears to fit the bill of a quality replacement for Pappoe, with his experience and size. But Auburn has plenty of options across the board at linebacker, including Steiner, a senior who’s played in some capacity in all four of his seasons with the program. 

Free safety

2022 starter(s): Zion Puckett, Jaylin Simpson

Contenders: Zion Puckett, Jaylin Simpson

1COMMENTS

Experience: Puckett was the primary starter all season until an injury allowed Simpson to slide back from cornerback and contribute over the final few games of the year. 

What to watch: Puckett has 20 starts over the past two seasons, but Auburn's coaching staff will certainly have to find a way to keep Simpson on the field consistently; he was the Tigers' No. 3 cornerback in the rotation before moonlighting at safety. Secondary coaches Zac Etheridge and Wesley McGriff will be less concerned this spring with determining a starting grouping as they will making sure they can get their best players in pass defense as often as possible, and Simpson and Puckett both certainly fall into that category.

• Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to Spring Practice Updates…
3 minutes ago, toddc said:

I

Auburn spring preview: Position battles to watch

ByNATHAN KING 21 hours ago

In just a few days' time, football will be back on the Plains.

The first practices of the Hugh Freeze era get under way Monday, as Auburn is set for an early start to spring ball this year. The new coaching staff will get their first chance to work with the Tigers, implement new schemes on both sides of the ball, acclimate newcomers from high school and the transfer ranks, and evaluate where the team stands as a whole and what areas of emphasis will need to be moving forward.

We'll continue with a look at the key position battles to monitor throughout spring ball.

11322714.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Jason Caldwell / 247Sports)

Quarterback

2022 starter(s): Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley

Contenders: Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley, Holden Geriner

Experience: Finley started the first three games of the season after winning the job in preseason camp. The former LSU transfer suffered a shoulder injury against Penn State, though, giving way to Ashford for the rest of the season. Geriner played only two drives all season — when Ashford checked out of the Missouri game briefly with an injury.

What to watch: Ashford surely has earned the benefit of the doubt for first-team reps early in camp, but Freeze and his new offensive staff will want to get a first-hand look at all the quarterbacks’ passing capabilities alongside the primary offensive line and receivers. Ashford and Finley were both highly inconsistent last season, so the door is plenty open for Geriner to make strides. It will be intriguing to watch how they respond to a new passing game and offense, and how Freeze and company are able to hone in on Ashford’s dynamic skill set.

Left tackle

2022 starter(s): Kilian Zierer

Contenders: Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton

Experience: Wade started all last season for Tulsa at left tackle, while Britton split starts at Western Kentucky at both right and left tackle. 

What to watch: Auburn and new offensive line coach Jake Thornton likely have an idea of where they want their two highly rated transfer additions to start, but it still won’t be surprising if they give Wade and Britton a chance to stretch their legs at both tackle spots. Wade is a left tackle through and through, but if Britton proves himself more effective at the position, Wade could slide over to the right side. Vice versa seems the more likely case.

Left guard

2022 starter(s): Brandon Council, Kameron Stutts, Jeremiah Wright

Experience: After Council had to take over starting center duties a few games into the season, Stutts swapped starting guard spots. Wright emerged, though, over the course of the year, started the Ole Miss game in Week 7 and continued to rotate almost evenly with Stutts at left guard the rest of the season.

What to watch: Thornton seemed high on Wright’s potential earlier this month, when he said the monstrous 6-foot-5, 335-pounder is “someone we can build this unit around.” Considering their experience compared to other interior linemen on the roster, Wright and Stutts are the two most probable starters at the moment for either guard spot, and Stutts obviously has the experience playing both.

11499422.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Stephen Igoe, Getty)

Center

2022 starter(s): Tate Johnson, Brandon Council

Contenders: Avery Jones, Tate Johnson

Experience: The No. 1 transfer center per 247Sports rankings, Jones makes the jump to the SEC after two years starting for East Carolina. Johnson started the first four games for Auburn in 2022 before a season-ending elbow injury.

What to watch: In terms of past production, the comparison between Jones and Johnson isn’t exactly even. Jones was one of the best pass-protecting linemen in the county last season and has 30-plus starts at center and left guard in his career, while Johnson severely struggled up front for the Tigers before his injury. Still, Johnson is the returnee and should be healthy and competitive. 

Right guard

2022 starter(s): Alec Jackson, Kameron Stutts

Experience: Langlo, a redshirt sophomore, has yet to appear in a game with the Tigers but repped at guard as a reserve during preseason practices. Stutts is the runaway leader here in terms of solely returning experience.

What to watch: The Tigers don’t have much guard depth on the roster, with Stutts and Wright serving as the only players who have ever taken a snap at either guard spot. True freshman early enrollee and Under Armour All-American Connor Lew has a polished skill set could be a dark horse to work in possibly as a second-teamer at guard.

Right tackle

2022 starter(s): Austin Troxell, Brenden Coffey

Contenders: Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton, Izavion Miller

Experience: Miller, rated as the No. 2 JUCO offensive tackle in the country, started at right tackle for Southwest Mississippi Community College.

What to watch: Auburn likely has a couple capable options here, if it ends up being a head-to-head between Britton and Miller — who are 6-foot-6, 305 pounds and 6-foot-6, 320 pounds, respectively. 

11639765.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off (Chris McDill, Getty)

Outside/X receiver

2022 starter(s): Shedrick Jackson

Contenders: Camden Brown, Nick Mardner

Experience: The Cincinnati transfer Mardner had 913 yards and five touchdowns playing for Auburn’s new receivers coach, Marcus Davis, when the two were together at Hawaii in 2021. A rising sophomore, Brown was one of the most exciting young players in Auburn’s offense last season, snaring nine passes for 123 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

What to watch: Auburn has nearly 2,000 career snaps to replace from Jackson, a fifth-year senior and second-year starter last season. But Jackson was never the most productive in the passing game, and the Tigers probably have a higher ceiling on the outside this year. Mardner is far more experienced, though Brown is an undeniably physical red-zone target at 6-foot-3 and 202 pounds. A starting pecking order isn’t as important this spring as getting the two comfortable within the new offense.

Nose tackle

2022 starter(s): Jayson Jones

Contenders: Jayson Jones, Justin Rogers

Experience: A former Oregon transfer, Jones filled a void for the Tigers in 2022 and was the primary option at nose. Rogers comes over from Kentucky, where he was a former top-60 overall prospect and developed into a starting force last season. He also sought after by Alabama and LSU on the transfer market.

What to watch: Jones wasn't the most consistent player on the interior last season and didn't often make a sizable impact on the game. Rogers had all the production that a defense can ask for from a nose tackle, nearly tripling Jones' tackles despite only playing 80 more snaps. It will be a new defensive scheme for both players.

11639755.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

Jack linebacker

2022 starter(s): Derrick Hall, Eku Leota

Contenders: Dylan Brooks, Elijah McAllister, Keldric Faulk

Experience: McAllister, a Vanderbilt transfer, brings 34 career game appearances to the mix at what remains one of the thinnest position groups on Auburn’s roster. Brooks is the only returning player on the roster with experience at the pass-rusher spot, and Faulk is the Tigers’ highest-rated prospect in their 2023 class.

What to watch: This is one of the more unpredictable groups on the roster. Brooks has experience under his belt now, after playing an increased role in 2022 following Leota’s injury, but neither he nor McAllister have shown themselves to be high-level contributors — yet. Meanwhile, Faulk is a superb athlete at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, and if there’s any spot on the roster where a true freshman could start right away, it’s here.

Middle linebacker

2022 starter(s): Owen Pappoe

Contenders: Austin Keys, Wesley Steiner, Robert Woodyard

Experience: Keys started six games this past season for Ole Miss, with 39 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss and a forced fumble. Steiner was a mainstay in the linebacking corps for Auburn before he played only a few snaps over the final four games of the year. Woodyard, the top recruit in Auburn’s 2022 class, contributed only on special teams as a true freshman while recovering from a knee injury.

What to watch: Keys appears to fit the bill of a quality replacement for Pappoe, with his experience and size. But Auburn has plenty of options across the board at linebacker, including Steiner, a senior who’s played in some capacity in all four of his seasons with the program. 

Free safety

2022 starter(s): Zion Puckett, Jaylin Simpson

Contenders: Zion Puckett, Jaylin Simpson

1COMMENTS

Experience: Puckett was the primary starter all season until an injury allowed Simpson to slide back from cornerback and contribute over the final few games of the year. 

What to watch: Puckett has 20 starts over the past two seasons, but Auburn's coaching staff will certainly have to find a way to keep Simpson on the field consistently; he was the Tigers' No. 3 cornerback in the rotation before moonlighting at safety. Secondary coaches Zac Etheridge and Wesley McGriff will be less concerned this spring with determining a starting grouping as they will making sure they can get their best players in pass defense as often as possible, and Simpson and Puckett both certainly fall into that category.

I would bet anything T.J. will leave this spring as QB #1. Wil that affect his potential departure? We will see.