Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

Hunter will likely be more productive than Tank b/c he’ll have better teammates, play calling, and coaches than Tank did

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, toddc said:

I think Hunter might have more tools in his abilities to get yards, but I loved Tank and don’t believe we got to see how good he could be with the right Oline.

Yep, that is so true, and I fully admit it is an unfair comparison. Another thing to consider is being the man...that matters too. When you are the focal point of the game plan, it does cause problems. See Nick Marshall vs Jeremy Johnson comparison. 

I am completely biased and I for sure prefer JH running style.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Really? Because I thought this loudly several times. I don't know if "better" is right for me. You cannot take away from Tank's ability to maintain leverage even when the opponents are multiple. He very much made yards after the first contact. I question tank's vision and ability to get through certain holes, which Hunter seems to welcome when he runs. Another thing that drove me crazy about Tank is he bounced things out a lot.

It’s that home run factor Hunter has. IT GETS THE PEOPLE GOING.

• Like 1

Save us mullet king!!! I can’t take yet another season of the forward pass not being a part of our offense!!!! 😭😭 I want to be optimistic about next year but I can’t with the QBs we have on campus right now…

53613578-F6B4-403A-88BD-22F115BB2B0A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Save us mullet king!!! I can’t take yet another season of the forward pass not being a part of our offense!!!! 😭😭 I want to be optimistic about next year but I can’t with the QBs we have on campus right now…

Q

As Bird said, best to try to reach out to other post-Spring transfers (outside of SEC).

Edited by AUwent

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Ok second week update:

Still need a qb. The staff knew it heading in, but now it’s the elephant in the room. 

Also…second LB. Fix those two things (not easy I understand) and we’ve got a chance to be dangerous this year. 

still light years ahead of anything I’ve seen in the last 3 years in practice. 

The transfers don't fill the second LB role? Assuming Cam Riley is lb no 1

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

The transfers don't fill the second LB role? Assuming Cam Riley is lb no 1

I’ve heard very good things about Demario Tolan.  I was hoping DT and CR would be a strong starting 2 LBs.   With AK and WS providing nice depth.   I think by September this should shake out pretty well.   JMHO 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Scrimmage today.  Not sure if they are going to be in JHS or the practice facility due to weather.  Will be interesting to hear any reports that come out.  Freeze probably still trying to figure out what he has.  

• Like 1

what time is the scrimmage? i might hang out early this evening for updayes.

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Ok second week update:

Still need a qb. The staff knew it heading in, but now it’s the elephant in the room. 

Also…second LB. Fix those two things (not easy I understand) and we’ve got a chance to be dangerous this year. 

Still crazy to me we didn't push for Sanders.  He's drastically better than anything we have.  Huge risk waiting until Spring...we'll see what is there.

Surprised by the LB comment between Tolan/Keys/Riley I'd hope we could find a solid 2 starters, then the leftover + Steiner/Woodyard should be a decent 2 starts + 3 rotational guys.

Maybe you're including EDGE/Jack into your LB issues?  If so, yeah I'd agree. Jack is a similar black hole that QB is

• Like 2

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Ok second week update:

Really disappointing that HG hasn't stepped up and took control at QB.. had high hopes for him

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Really disappointing that HG hasn't stepped up and took control at QB.. had high hopes for him

Guy played in a small school/lower division, had very few true committable offers to top teams, and was an edge 4*.  He shouldn't really have too many expectations until his 3rd or 4th year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Guy played in a small school/lower division, had very few true committable offers to top teams, and was an edge 4*.  He shouldn't really have too many expectations until his 3rd or 4th year.

Ok. I stand corrected.. I should have checked with you b4 stating what my expectations are

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

53 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe you're including EDGE/Jack into your LB issues?  If so, yeah I'd agree. Jack is a similar black hole that QB is

True!   Jack LB is an issue!   We’ve got a stud TF.  But I don’t want to have to bank on him being “The Dude” this Fall.   The transfer from Vandy is a filler, not the stud Jack we need.   I would LOVE to find a top level Jack in the Spring portal, but that is a tall order.  

IMHO, if we could land 3 guys in the Spring portal it would be a P5 QB, a stud Jack, and a legit WR1!   I know, I know.   Getting all 3 would be very unlikely.   But I believe those are our top 3 priorities!

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

IMHO, if we could land 3 guys in the Spring portal it would be a P5 QB, a stud Jack, and a legit WR1!   I know, I know.   Getting all 3 would be very unlikely.   But I believe those are our top 3 priorities!

If a power 5 QB is transfer, probably means he isn’t starting and maybe hasnt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

If a power 5 QB is transfer, probably means he isn’t starting and maybe hasnt.

Right.   The G5 stud transfer ready for the big time would’ve been during the fall/winter transfer window.  (Unless one stuck around for the Spring to graduate before transferring).  The Spring transfer window is typically for the big time recruit who finished second to the other big time recruit and wants to go somewhere else to get a shot to win the job in the fall.  

6 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ok. I stand corrected.. I should have checked with you b4 stating what my expectations are

You're welcome 

what time is  or was the scrimmage? there is nothing new on youtube or in articles googled.