Great quote from Keith Niebuhr. Wow!

Chaotic_zx

6 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I know we had Cam... but that bammer team had more overall talent than we did... Which makes the comeback even more impressive

that was probably one of Sabans most talented teams he’s coached..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like that's his worst year, record wise, while at Alabama, with the exception of his first year when he was rebuilding...

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

One more time. I'll totally agree with the miracle at Jordan Hare vs UGA. However.........one more time......Bama's only chance that year was the field goal that Saban fought so hard to be able to kick at the end of the game.  AU kills them in overtime, cause even Saban admitted we owned their D in the 2nd half. They were toast at the end of the game. So, to be clear, no miracle was needed to beat uat in 2013. They were beat unless they kick a fg longer than they realistically could make after we scored to tie it.

I think you are interpreting history a little differently than me.   Bama missed 4 field goals that game with one being the kick 6.   To think that Auburn was going to magically stop them in OT is a bit far fetched.   
Everyone is also forgetting several games that year that if just one play goes differently, Auburn is not undefeated.    (Clemson) guy drops a sure touchdown to win the game.  (Miss State) stopped at the goal line on two consecutive plays.   
My point in all of this is that without Cam, Auburn doesn’t win every game.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I think you are interpreting history a little differently than me.   Bama missed 4 field goals that game with one being the kick 6.   To think that Auburn was going to magically stop them in OT is a bit far fetched.   
Everyone is also forgetting several games that year that if just one play goes differently, Auburn is not undefeated.    (Clemson) guy drops a sure touchdown to win the game.  (Miss State) stopped at the goal line on two consecutive plays.   

Totally agree with most of what you said. However, forgetting the fact that the field goals missed were prior to the 4th quarter , my uat bro in law, who also is a totally realistic football fan, told me after our first 3 plays on our last drive , and I quote , "our D is shot. This ain't good. " Also, uat missed field goals all that year. But the Clemson - AU game was exactly as you said. He was wide open. I was there. Miss State was a nail biter, I remember, but I can't say I recall everything about that one. It was away, right?

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like that's his worst year, record wise, while at Alabama, with the exception of his first year when he was rebuilding...

Your correct about the record but They also had 23 guys who played/playing in the NFL

Including Julio Jones,Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson ect....

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

No, and without Gus Auburn doesn't win every game and without Fairly Auburn doesn't win every game and without Chizik holding things together through a very trying time Auburn doesn't win every game. On and on. There has never been a team that won them all where you can't pull a player or play or two out and say "without so and so happening they don't win". That's the nature of competitive sports.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

One more time. I'll totally agree with the miracle at Jordan Hare vs UGA. However.........one more time......Bama's only chance that year was the field goal that Saban fought so hard to be able to kick at the end of the game.  AU kills them in overtime, cause even Saban admitted we owned their D in the 2nd half. They were toast at the end of the game. So, to be clear, no miracle was needed to beat uat in 2013. They were beat unless they kick a fg longer than they realistically could make after we scored to tie it.

I remember Saban's postgame press conference after The Kick 6. He kept saying "I've never seen a game end that way on a returned missed FG." 

Then a reporter asked him why he wanted that 1 second back rather than just going to OT. Saban responded "Because I didn't like our chances in OT against that team." 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Are you confusing 2013 with 2010? You were talking about The Kick 6 and then said "Everyone is also forgetting several games that year that if just one play goes differently, Auburn is not undefeated." Kick 6 was in 2013 and we had already lost to LSU that season. But you're correct about the Clemson and Mississippi State games being close finishes in 2010, the year we were undefeated and won a Natty. If I'm reading your post wrong, I apologize and can delete this post here.

No.  You are correct.  My point about the kick six, Hail Mary and the other games was that it took something that very rarely happens in a game to win.   Most people say that it is pure luck and I agree.   
Also, in the 2010 game it took a punch from behind to cause a fumble that somehow the ball rolled 15 yards and was recovered in the end zone for a touch back.   If not for that, Alabama goes up 31 to zero.    

10 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

No.  You are correct.  My point about the kick six, Hail Mary and the other games was that it took something that very rarely happens in a game to win.   Most people say that it is pure luck and I agree.   
Also, in the 2010 game it took a punch from behind to cause a fumble that somehow the ball rolled 15 yards and was recovered in the end zone for a touch back.   If not for that, Alabama goes up 31 to zero.    

I don’t call those plays lucky. I call them great plays by great players! There are plays all the time that are rare but done by great players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

I don’t call those plays lucky. I call them great plays by great players! There are plays all the time that are rare but done by great players.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." That's a quote from one of the more successful college football coaches in the history of the game.

Every game has its plays and every season has its games that, if something changed the season would be changed. It's silly to go back and say it was just luck. Everybody is lucky or unlucky, it's part of competitive sports.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 8:02 PM, aubaseball said:

Again, 2013 was a great season for Auburn.   But Auburn doesn’t make it to a championship game without a Hail Mary pass that probably doesn’t turn out in Auburn’s favor in 1 out of 100.   Not to mention, a kick return 105 yards.   

That Hail Mary pass shouldn't have ever been necessary. Aaron Murray was stopped short of the goal line on 4th and goal, but there wasn't enough video evidence to overturn the call on the field.

I've always thought of The Miracle at Jordan-Hare as divine intervention to right a wrong, because that game should have ended 37-31 good guys.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2023 at 6:09 PM, AEAugirl said:

Gus did something Richt never could do, reach a BCS championship game.  

Neither are on Kirby’s level.  Again, the point.  

Let's put things into perspective. Until a year ago, nobody could compete with Kirby'$ or Saban"$ recruiting offer$.

He probably is a good coach, maybe better than Saban, but having twice the talent of everyone helps considerably.

57 minutes ago, gman87 said:

Let's put things into perspective. Until a year ago, nobody could compete with Kirby'$ or Saban"$ recruiting offer$.

He probably is a good coach, maybe better than Saban, but having twice the talent of everyone helps considerably.

Yes, let's put things into perspective. In spite of NIL, Alabama and Georgia still sat at 1 and 2 last year in recruiting rankings. They are currently 5 and 1, per 247Composite.

What that means is NIL didn't change a whole lot, proportionally. The probability is that Alabama and Georgia were never doing anything that every other big time program in college football wasn't doing in the first place, we're just most sensitive to it because they are our two biggest rivals.

There is no doubt that Smart is a good coach, and recruiting talent to his program is part of that. 

I'm late to the party but on the topic of Chiz and Gus finding their way to Auburn.....

I'm a big fan of alternate history and looking back it would've been something else had Auburn gone out and hired Steve Spurrier after they fired Tubs. Not saying he would take the job (he told Finebaum he wasn't interested in Bama after Shula left), but it's something fun to think about. Personally, I think it would've been incredible.

21 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

How did a thread about CHF being a beast at recruiting turn into an argument about how lucky Gus was in 2010 and 2013????

Classic derailment!

image.gif

clue-i-didnt-do-it.gif

21 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Yes, let's put things into perspective. In spite of NIL, Alabama and Georgia still sat at 1 and 2 last year in recruiting rankings. They are currently 5 and 1, per 247Composite.

What that means is NIL didn't change a whole lot, proportionally. The probability is that Alabama and Georgia were never doing anything that every other big time program in college football wasn't doing in the first place, we're just most sensitive to it because they are our two biggest rivals.

There is no doubt that Smart is a good coach, and recruiting talent to his program is part of that. 

Yes, sometimes having a several year head start on everyone helps. I don't have insider details but am 100% sure if AU did what $puat was doing in 2009 as far as incentives (which everyone has seen with their own two eyes) and at UGA 5 years ago (if Rush Propst was telling the truth in his audio tape) we would still be on probation.

21 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

How did a thread about CHF being a beast at recruiting turn into an argument about how lucky Gus was in 2010 and 2013????

Because with sports, men are like women in relationships, we can't let go of past things & continually bring it back up.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Because with sports, men are like women in relationships, we can't let go of past things & continually bring it back up.

I almost posted something like this the other day in another thread where people were bickering about the past lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ain't it the truth.  I've been married 50+ years and my wife will still bring up something that happened when we were dating at 18 years old.  (And of course it was my fault according to her).

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 7:00 AM, aubaseball said:

Just my opinion but the Kick Six wasn’t “luck”.  Gus moved Chris Davis back there to field that kick when he saw Saban roll out those big fat slow linemen…..I can’t remember who was initially there but I remember he swapped them out at the last minute. 

Gus knew exactly what he was doing….whether Davis could make it 100+ yards of course was unknown but that is the position he put them in. 

For the record I wasn’t scared of OT….Auburn had ALL the momentum and you could tell Saban wanted no part of OT with that team. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Just my opinion but the Kick Six wasn’t “luck”.  Gus moved Chris Davis back there to field that kick when he saw Saban roll out those big fat slow linemen…..I can’t remember who was initially there but I remember he swapped them out at the last minute. 

Gus knew exactly what he was doing….whether Davis could make it 100+ yards of course was unknown but that is the position he put them in. 

For the record I wasn’t scared of OT….Auburn had ALL the momentum and you could tell Saban wanted no part of OT with that team. 

Auburn fans will always view the play as not lucky.   Did they switch players out ? Yes.  There are so many things that had to go right to make 100+ yards that luck was naturally involved.  To deny that it wasn’t lucky is just nonsense.   Could Auburn have won in OT? Sure, but no one will ever know because OT is so quirky in college.    
My point on all of this is that it’s ok that Auburn was lucky to win and it doesn’t diminish the victory.   It actually makes it sweeter because beating Alabama on quirky plays is part of Auburn’s history against them and pisses Bama fans off more than getting a beating.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

I believe Ryan White was back there first....iirc we had 2 Ryan's that played DB so it could have been the other one. (Ryan Smith maybe) From the telling of the story I heard it was the DC or one of the assistants that suggested Chris be the guy.

Chris wanted to return punts all year but was passed over probably because he was a crucial part to our defense. However, late in the season he got his chance and was close to breaking several for a TD. It was really a no brainer to put him back there as his potential to return a punt had already been displayed in that very game in the first half.

5 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I believe Ryan White was back there first....iirc we had 2 Ryan's that played DB so it could have been the other one. (Ryan Smith maybe) From the telling of the story I heard it was the DC or one of the assistants that suggested Chris be the guy.

Chris wanted to return punts all year but was passed over probably because he was a crucial part to our defense. However, late in the season he got his chance and was close to breaking several for a TD. It was really a no brainer to put him back there as his potential to return a punt had already been displayed in that very game in the first half.

Yep, it was Ryan Smith!

And Gus wanted to swap them and yes it was Ellis Johnson that told him to put Chris Davis back there. 

Here’s the players talking about that play….again they were preparing to also block but also what to do if Davis got it…..BLOCK.  They even told Davis to take off and run towards the AU sidelines which he did.  

It sells these coaches and players short to call it “luck”.   The Prayer in Jordan Hare?  Sure….it was damn lucky that Matthews tipped that ball right to a Louis in full stride.   But the coaches saw that short kick coming. 

It also wasn’t like Auburn got “lucky” that Bama missed, because their kicker sucked…it’s why Saban ran the freshman out to kick.  

That was pure coaching and player effort that made the Kick 6. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Oral-history-Kick-Six-Iron-Bowl-Auburn-Tigers-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-2013-110780974/

• Like 4

Ok.  I will join the derailment.  🤪

Yes.  The Kick 6 credit belongs to the coaches and players being prepared for that moment and executing it perfectly!

Sure, the prayer at Jordan-Hare was pure luck.   But it was just payback from the free TD uga got on the previous drive!   As another poster stated earlier, Aaron Murray still hasn’t scored that TD. But without the free TD, we never would’ve gotten to experience one of the most historic plays in AU history!

I completely forgot how we got on that subject in the first place, but anyway, I am excited about CHF’s recruiting!   We’ll have an elite roster SOON!!!👀

On 2/7/2023 at 8:06 AM, aubaseball said:

Auburn fans will always view the play as not lucky.   Did they switch players out ? Yes.  There are so many things that had to go right to make 100+ yards that luck was naturally involved.  To deny that it wasn’t lucky is just nonsense.

You're right, and yet at the same time, you are so very, very wrong. To deny that it wasn't lucky is, in fact, nonsense, but you're the one who is denying that it wasn't lucky. The rest of us are agreeing that it wasn't lucky.

The only luck involved is that Bama's freshman kicker didn't get enough on the kick to drive Davis behind the back line of the end zone. As soon as Davis caught it, the play went exactly as it was drawn up to go. It's not luck that caused Saban to put slow, fat linemen in the game. It's not luck that Davis went to the wide side of the field. It's not luck that the field goal unit knew they needed to be blocking to funnel UAT players away from the AU sideline.

20 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I completely forgot how we got on that subject in the first place, but anyway, I am excited about CHF’s recruiting!   We’ll have an elite roster SOON!!!👀

You're right about that, because we aren't far from being there as it is. Good friend of mine mentioned a couple of days ago that football season needs to hurry up, because it's the first time he's been excited about it in about half a decade. I can't say that I really disagree.

• Like 5