Walker White's Most Wanted

ellitor

56 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

I have admittedly not watched WW highlights nor consider myself a good judge of QB talent, but just looking at the coaches that were after him, I’d say yes, he is VERY talented.  

I hate Lane Kiffin but that man knows QB talent when he sees it and he has been after White for a long time and was long considered the favorite to land White…..White had  offers from Bama and had visited them a lot, and Dabo also has been a pretty good judge of QB talent in his time at Clemson.  Briles slowed played him some at Arky but Enos went after him hard once he was hired and I’d take Enos’s analysis of QB talent over Briles.  

Montgomery and Freeze are also no slouches when it comes to identifying and developing QB talent and it really says something that Montgomery was the first college coach to offer him.  

Last year if someone had told you that Auburn would beat out Dabo Sweeney and Lane Kiffin for their highly coveted QB recruit, would you have believed them? 

I don't disagree with too much you said here. I'm confused by what you quoted. What you quoted I asked Bird does he think white is better than the other guy coming in that everybody was going on and on about.....I don't understand what all you said have to do with that. 

I don't want to put words in your mouth but what you wrote seems like it would be a reply to someone asking a question do you think White have talent? Which that's not even close to what I asked Bird. 

But maybe that's not what you meant. 

For the record though since there seems to be a bunch of confusion almost seem like a little mini Bo in the making. I have not said one thing bad about this young man. Haven't offered any criticism at all. I just simply didn't think the naming guys is all wow, I've never seen this before thing as impressive. 

I did however watch some highlights and say I see some good potential. Everything is fine

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't disagree with too much you said here. I'm confused by what you quoted. What you quoted I asked Bird does he think white is better than the other guy coming in that everybody was going on and on about.....I don't understand what all you said have to do with that. 

I don't want to put words in your mouth but what you wrote seems like it would be a reply to someone asking a question do you think White have talent? Which that's not even close to what I asked Bird. 

But maybe that's not what you meant. 

For the record though since there seems to be a bunch of confusion almost seem like a little mini Bo in the making. I have not said one thing bad about this young man. Haven't offered any criticism at all. I just simply didn't think the naming guys is all wow, I've never seen this before thing as impressive. 

I did however watch some highlights and say I see some good potential. Everything is fine

You were asking in comparison to Hank Brown…..I’m just telling you why I think he’s more talented than Brown.  

White’s offer list is way, way, WAY more impressive, so yes I’d say that most think White is much more talented.  That doesn’t mean Brown isn’t good but I also am not sure that he will ever be more than a depth piece for this staff.  

You have to remember by the time Freeze was hired at AU, the majority of QBs were long committed elsewhere so options were limited in regards to what would be seen as an SEC quality QB recruit,  but I also think Freeze saw a need for some depth at that position so Brown was a logical choice. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

You were asking in comparison to Hank Brown…..I’m just telling you why I think he’s more talented than Brown.  

White’s offer list is way, way, WAY more impressive, so yes I’d say that most think White is much more talented.  That doesn’t mean Brown isn’t good but I also am not sure that he will ever be more than a depth piece for this staff.  

You have to remember by the time Freeze was hired at AU, the majority of QBs were long committed elsewhere so options were limited in regards to what would be seen as an SEC quality QB recruit,  but I also think Freeze saw a need for some depth at that position so Brown was a logical choice. 

Ahhhh ok you are comparing the offer lists. Gotcha. What schools offered Brown? I understand your logic but as far as QB's go it's just way too finicky for me to use that. If I remember right everybody really talked about Brown's arm talent. I don't know how elite it is but I do hope the guys get to duel it out and there's no promises and all that type stuff involved. I'm good as long as it's the best player is playing.

• Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, cole256 said:

Ahhhh ok you are comparing the offer lists. Gotcha. What schools offered Brown? I understand your logic but as far as QB's go it's just way too finicky for me to use that. If I remember right everybody really talked about Brown's arm talent. I don't know how elite it is but I do hope the guys get to duel it out and there's no promises and all that type stuff involved. I'm good as long as it's the best player is playing.

QB is one of the hardest positions to evaluate. Arm strength is an important piece you can use it to say that a QB is not talented enough as there is a minimal amount required. You can watch the QB's at camps and see if they can make certain throws again a good way to eliminate a QB. You can look at footwork, throwing motion and watch HS game film. 

Then comes the part that you don't see until they are in a college game or at practice in the SEC. To often in HS it is a 1 or 2 read and you throw with very little reading of the defenses. When a QB gets to the SEC he needs to be able to read defense, know when to stay in the pocket and take a hit to make a throw, when to bail out of pocket to allow a change to throw or to run. An ability to know where every player is on the field, an ability to see when a receiver breaks off a route to get to an open area.  A great QB is somebody who can handle pressure read defenses and adjust on the fly against a good defense.  It is an ability to lead and inspire your team. 

It is part Football IQ and part some players just instinctually know what to do in certain situations. Over my life time I have heard many times he has a cannon for an arm and can make every throw and then never becomes a starter. To me you need a good arm a great arm is better you have to be able to make multiple types of throws, the rocket to the sideline, back shoulder throw, loop it over the LB and drop it in before the safety gets there, you have to know when to throw it away.  Take a little of when close to a RB. Some of that is physical ability but a lot is recognizing the defense  and making the read and the throw that is needed depending on the location of the defenders. 

Patrick Mahomes was a 3 * Texas wanted him as a safety. If you watch him he makes baseball type throws where footwork is not great but he can get away with it. Because he sees a defender and knows it is only way to get the throw to receiver.  He can also have perfect footwork and arm motion on other throws. He is somewhat unique but is why I say it is a difficult position to recruit.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

...when to bail out of pocket to allow a change to throw or to run.

This has been the biggest breakdown with many of the QB's we've had lately.  The highly mobile/dual threat guys have not been coached to push up in the pocket.  Of course, an unreliable O line makes it that much more difficult.  Specifically Stidham and Nix would almost always try to turn and bail out of the backside of a collapsing pocket, believing their feet were more trustworthy than their linemen.  It's an incredibly difficult habit to break, but in the SEC, unless you're Nick Marshall kind of slippery it typically doesn't work out well.  

Wow, do I miss that dude....

Y'all remember when Auburn fans said Jarrett Stidham > Nick Marshall ...

Edited by PowerOfDixieland