2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Personally, I am so impressed with the CHF and assistants recruiting. They had some major holes to fill and, dagnabbit, they've worked on filling those holes.

As for the on-field results, welp, I'm hoping but not betting my life savings.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AURex said:

Personally, I am so impressed with the CHF and assistants recruiting. They had some major holes to fill and, dagnabbit, they've worked on filling those holes.

Just thinking similarly. I’m optimistic about the upcoming season performance. I mean why not be 🤷? We have a favorable schedule. What seams to be an experienced coaching staff. A upgrade at QB. Improved Oline. And a solid running back room. If a receiver or two can emerge along with a edge player or two I think new might be pretty good or at least challenge some of the better teams on the schedule 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

Just thinking similarly. I’m optimistic about the upcoming season performance. I mean why not be 🤷? We have a favorable schedule. What seams to be an experienced coaching staff. A upgrade at QB. Improved Oline. And a solid running back room. If a receiver or two can emerge along with a edge player or two I think new might be pretty good or at least challenge some of the better teams on the schedule 

The upgrades on the O-line will pay massive dividends. Just giving the QB and extra 2 seconds (without running for his life) changes the entire dynamic and hopefully the receivers will shine a bit more this year because of it.  The increased probability of running lanes will be exciting to see! If this team gels together  we will be in every game. From what I am hearing the team chemistry is in damn good shape. HF is turning out to be good at handling the different personalities in the locker room.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

No longer will top players have to go to Bama, UGA, Clemson, or tOSU to get playoff opportunities....

.....or payoff opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cbo said:

I think on-field success is a little overblown when it comes to new coaches' recruiting. 

Saban signed the #1 class in his first full cycle, after going 7-6. Kirby had the #3 class after an 8-5 season. 

I'm not saying we should expect these results, but I think we will have a pretty good idea about Freeze's recruiting ability at Auburn by the end of the year. 

You named 2 anomalies, they’re not the norm. Everybody keeps trying to compare themselves to those 2 universities then get upset when they can’t come close to replicating that type of success in recruiting and on field performance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AURex said:

The way they filled the roster with talented good fits, met major needs, built depth, quickly went to very solid backup plans, and worked eligibility to create some balance all in a six month period was something we’ve never seen before!   I am extremely impressed with the work they did!!!   They are working equally as hard on the 24 and 25 classes.   The 24 class may come down to the 11th hour because we did start from behind, but there will be some magic and fireworks!   I think it will be top 10!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

You named 2 anomalies, they’re not the norm. Everybody keeps trying to compare themselves to those 2 universities then get upset when they can’t come close to replicating that type of success in recruiting and on field performance 

@Sizzle It's not an anomaly though. New coaches at top 15-20 traditional programs usually recruit well in their 1st full class. Examples, most of the failed Vol coaches after Fulmer retired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Those are obviously the top 2, but new coaches often recruit well at major programs. 

I got curious and looked up the first full recruiting class rankings for the current coaches at major SEC (or soon to be SEC) programs:

• Saban: #1
  • Kirby: #3
  • Kelley: #5
  • Fisher: #6
  • Sarkisian: #5
  • Venables: #8
  • Napier: #13
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Sizzle It's not an anomaly though. New coaches at top 15-20 traditional programs usually recruit well in their 1st full class. Examples, most of the failed Vol coaches after Fulmer retired.

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

Those are obviously the top 2, but new coaches often recruit well at major programs. 

I got curious and looked up the first full recruiting class rankings for the current coaches at major SEC (or soon to be SEC) programs:

Y’all not paying attention to the last sentence I wrote. Recruiting AND on field performance. I know a new coach can come in and get a good recruiting class.

1 hour ago, cbo said:

A median of 5 and an average of 6.   I would be extremely happy with a class in that range!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Y’all not paying attention to the last sentence I wrote. Recruiting AND on field performance. I know a new coach can come in and get a good recruiting class.

Ok but that's moving the goal posts on CBO's original point and discussion. He was saying 1st year coaches at traditional programs recruit well their 1st year regardless of on field play for the most part and history says he's right.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:30 PM, Win4AU said:

JLee and Pink kept making a point on their latest recruiting show that Auburn may be positioning itself to grab these recruits for Bama and UGA when they potentially hit the portal after a year or two.  I’ve dampened my expectations some based on what they’re saying about recruits wanting to be done with recruiting in June and July.  May need a good Flipmas to sniff top 5.  

Napier/Florida stuff puzzles me.  I saw very little of them last year.  You’re coming off 2 disastrous coaching hires.  Napier has recruited well in both high school and the portal.  Was he a mess on the field or something?

Jeez, on3 is starting to make excuses already? That's not a good feeling.

Also don't think a top 5 class should've ever been in anyone's expectation. We've had 1 in the last 25 years that ranked that high. Anything 7-12 will play fine

Pretty sure Napier did awful in the portal this last class. They couldn't get anyone on campus in the spring window. We'll see how the season goes before I buy into Billy keeping that top class everyone is predicting 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 4

Caleb Holmes to Pitt...did we back off on him? Because I don't think we should be getting beat out by Pitt.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Caleb Holmes to Pitt...did we back off on him? Because I don't think we should be getting beat out by Pitt.

@AUwent He's lower on our staff's board than people previously thought.

• Thanks 1

Auburn welcomed talented 7v7 teams over the week

Many talented 2024 and 2025 Auburn targets were on campus this week for a 7v7 tournament.

JACK SINGLEY

JUN 9, 2023 5:00 PM EDT

In this story:

AUBURN TIGERS

7-on-7 tournaments, for those that are unaware, are 7-on-7 teams consisting of a quarterback, a center, and four wide receivers. On the defensive side of the ball, there are five coverage players usually cornerbacks or linebackers, and two deep safeties. These tournaments are a great way for school staff to scout talent up close and personal, and also for the players to get much more exposure in the spring and summer months.

Auburn has welcomed in multiple seven-on-seven teams this week, most notable would be Clay-Chalkville, Central-Phenix City, Thompson, Houston County (GA), and Harding Academy (Ark). Auburn was impressed by the teams and has at least one target in the 2024 and 2025 classes on each team. 

Central and Clay-Chalkville had the most talented teams, both having a five-star on the field. Central had five-star WR Cam Coleman, who is set to go on his official visit to Auburn in the coming weeks. Clay-Chalkville brought its five-star athlete Jaylen Mbakwe to play quarterback, one of many positions he has played in his high school career. DJ Barber, one of the top priorities on Auburn's defensive recruiting boards was also a part of the Clay-Chalkville team as a linebacker. Clay-Chalkville had one other Auburn target in Mario Craver, a speedy four-star receiver that Auburn is in the running for, but Florida seems to be the team to beat. 

Looking to the future, Auburn saw 2025 QB Antwann Hill play exceptionally well for Houston County. Hill, a Warner Robbins, Georgia native has interest from Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, and many other top-tier programs. Thompson brought in possibly the most intriguing player, Trent Seaborn an incoming freshman in high school who led Thompson to a state championship win over Auburn High School. Auburn offered the phenom while at the camp, he now holds 13 D1 offers including Ole Miss, Troy, Arkansas, and Arizona State. 

Rounding out the prospects is Wyatt Simmons an emerging LB prospect who most see as playing along the edge. Simmons has a great frame at 6'3 215 pounds, and racked up 84 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, and 6.0 sacks. Josh Aldridge has moved him higher up on the board recently with there being uncertainty in the recruitment of many JACK prospects. 

There was also an Elite camp that took place on Friday where Auburn commit Walker White, Auburn WR target Bryce Cain, and 2025 JACK target Jakaleb Faulk who is the little brother of 2023 signee Keldric Faulk.

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to June 2nd Week. 7 on 7 Visitors

Faustin on visit: 'I like everything about it'

found a lot to like about Auburn on his official visit.

The four-star safety out of Naples, Florida, spent the weekend familiarizing himself with Auburn's coaching staff, facilities and campus. Overall, his expectations were met and the Tigers have solidified themselves as a contender going forward.

"Visit went great," Faustin said. "Everything I expected went great...I like everything about it. It’s a small town, not too much to do. I like that because I’m not a big party person – and I like how everything is so close by."

Kensley Faustin took his official visit to Auburn over the weekend. (Caleb Jones | AuburnSports.com)

Faustin's favorite part of the visit was sitting down with secondary coach Zac Etheridge, breaking down his film and comparing how he could fit in with the Tigers' defensive schemes.

"It caught me by surprise of how easy it is that I could fit in the scheme," Faustin said. "Then how I’d transfer it over and how we play basically the same defense in high school."

The 6-foot safety also spent time speaking with head coach Hugh Freeze.

"I believe that he’s a great man and he’s going to be a great coach," Faustin said. "Just sitting down talking to him – a lot of expectation is from him because he’s in the SEC now. With Auburn, there’s a lot of expectations and it’s either you’re about it or you’re not about it."

Auburn sees Faustin as a versatile defender who can play safety, star or nickel. The chance for early playing time is also important to Faustin.

"I’m gonna early enroll, be where I want to be in spring, and then just to get to it," Faustin said. "In this generation of football, it’s either you’re ready or not."

6'0" | 175 lbs | S | 2024

Faustin's now taken official visits to UCF and Auburn, with trips to Florida State, Texas A&M and LSU also in the works. There's not a timeline for a decision, it's just gonna depend on when the time is right.

“After this visit, Auburn fits in as a school to go to," Faustin said.

• Like 1

• toddc changed the title to 2nd Week of June. (7 on 7 Visitors)

When are these shoes going to start dropping? Would be great to get momentum before Fall camp and we can focus on games.

• Like 1

CHF has done an admirable job pulling players from JUCO and filling holes left by -- the previous coach.

And history tells us, a few SEC coaches have done really good, really improving their team's performance in their first year.

AND CHF is no lightweight in terms of previous SEC performance.

All that said, with the teams on our schedule, and the holes needing to be filled, and the (I'm sorry) rather average level of players pulled in to fill those holes, I'm not looking at playoff contender this year.

CHF has done great recruiting. But it ain't magic, and I'm sure he woukd agree. He still has a ways to go.

Can he get there? Personally, I'm VERY optimistic. WDE CHF!

Edited by AURex
  • Like 2

Auburn Elite Camp provides clarity for 4-star Alexander City WR

by Andrew Hughes 1 day ago

The Auburn football June 9 Elite Camp provided 4-star Alexander City wide receiver Malcolm Simmons clarity when it comes to his top choices Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

The Auburn football Elite Camp on June 9 provided 4-star Benjamin Russell High School wideout Malcolm Simmons a good level of clarity, as the Alexander City native told Auburn Rivals’ Caleb Jones.

“Before I came into the camp, I was kinda sorta ‘Who would I choose, who would I not choose,’ but Auburn is most definitely gonna be in my top schools,” Simmons said.

Auburn does not yet have any receivers signed for the 2024 recruiting class thus far, though he has done a good job covering skill positions thus far. Quarterback Walker Whiteis perhaps Hugh Freeze’s biggest get for his first full class as head coach, while 4-star running back J’Marion Burnette out of Andalusia comes in with hype himself. Then, there’s Alabama de-commit Martavious Collins at tight end. On the defensive side of the ball, 4-star cornerbacks A’Mon Lane out of Moody and Jayden Lewis out of Anniston have committed.

Malcolm Simmons on Auburn football coaching staff and Walker White

Simmons spoke highly of the Auburn football coaching staff and of his potential future quarterback White at Elite Camp, saying that it was “awesome” to meet Freeze and sharing words of wisdom from the Oxford, Mississippi native.

“It was awesome to meet coach Hugh Freeze,” Simmons said of the new Tigers head coach. “He told me be patient, be patient and everything will fall out for itself.”

As for White, Simmons endorsed the idea of catching passes from the Little Rock Christian Academy product.

“I watched his tape and me and him would be a good quarterback and receiver duo,” Simmons said.

Having seen what the Plains has to offer him by the time his collegiate career rolls around, Simmons now has an assessment of a school that is under an hour away from his hometown. His decision will be one to watch as Freeze continues to lay down recruiting roots in-state.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toddc said:

’ but Auburn is most definitely gonna be in my top schools

Key question: How many top schools does he have?

18 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

When are these shoes going to start dropping? Would be great to get momentum before Fall camp and we can focus on games.

• Thanks 1