2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

23 minutes ago, toddc said:

Camden Brown tweeted that he thinks we have a good shot at him. Need some top notch receivers for when we get a top notch qb.

He told On3 AU will get an OV so likely in the top 5 with Miami, UGa, Florida, & FSU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUght2winIt's not about just fandom. As I & others have said. There's more influence there than just fandom.

That’s fine. It still doesn’t negate a unique advantage Auburn has that you can’t put a price on - which is being 30 minutes away. No excuse for us doing as poorly as we have there. And I’m confident CHF turns it around.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That’s fine. It still doesn’t negate a unique advantage Auburn has that you can’t put a price on - which is being 30 minutes away. No excuse for us doing as poorly as we have there. And I’m confident CHF turns it around.

That same advantage for one can be a disadvantage for another

• Like 2

As I recall. James Joseph is the last big time recruit we signed from the Columbus/Phenix City area. It's been a long time. 

18 minutes ago, drsteve87 said:

As I recall. James Joseph is the last big time recruit we signed from the Columbus/Phenix City area. It's been a long time. 

DeRon Furr.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, drsteve87 said:

Gabe Wright more recently but still a long while. 

• Like 3

On 3/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, ellitor said:

@AUINSY Have you been there? More Bama fans & influence than AU there.

I get that there's going to be more places favorable to UAT but are there any high schools/regions with more Auburn influence? Because I can't tell you how many times I hear that a place is a Bama stronghold/pipeline. 🤔

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I get that there's going to be more places favorable to UAT but are there any high schools/regions with more Auburn influence? Because I can't tell you how many times I hear that a place is a Bama stronghold/pipeline. 🤔

If Auburn can only sign players from areas where there are majority Auburn fans, we’ll sign exactly 0 players. We *might* have a majority within Auburn city limits. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

Is it fair to expect a top 12 finish in this class?

I think we'll be 7-12 this year and top 5 in '25

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

It's not just bammer. It's "anywhere but Auburn" that's the problem in Columbus/Phenix City. Tennessee, Clemson, Florida have all got some top level recruits from there in recent years. They got guys we wanted and worked hard to get.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent expect, na. Hope for, yes.

We’re going to need to be at that mark consistently if we want to be a factor in the SEC/CFP hunt. Even Gus, despite woefully neglecting positions of need, landed in that area basically every year. We finished 18th with a brand new staff, 6 spots higher with a full year (so '24, in case you thought I was talking about '23) shouldn't be an unreasonable ask.

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

We’re going to need to be at that mark consistently if we want to be a factor in the SEC/CFP hunt. Even Gus, despite woefully neglecting positions of need, landed in that area basically every year. We finished 18th with a brand new staff, 6 spots higher with a full year (so '24, in case you thought I was talking about '23) shouldn't be an unreasonable ask.

What you are describing is the ends justify the means. That is not sound logic. You need to have a balanced roster to have sustainable success. That is why we are partially in the mess we are in now. Looking at overall recruiting rankings without reading the fineprint. Pointless to have a star studded set of skill players and piss poor line play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

What you are describing is the ends justify the means. That is not sound logic. You need to have a balanced roster to have sustainable success. That is why we are partially in the mess we are in now. Looking at overall recruiting rankings without reading the fineprint. Pointless to have a star studded set of skill players and piss poor line play.

I’m as big a proponent of prioritizing linemen as anyone but there still needs to be a benchmark when it comes to recruiting rankings. You’re among those who expect us to be able to regularly beat the two best programs in the country, you don’t do that with classes ranked in the late teens.

Edited by AUwent

Just now, AUwent said:

We’re going to need both.

Yes, but then you used Gus Malzhan to bolster an argument solely on recruiting rankings? Do you see how that is problematic? 

Just now, DAG said:

Yes, but then you used Gus Malzhan to bolster an argument solely on recruiting rankings? Do you see how that is problematic? 

I didn’t say Gus was doing a sufficient job, my dude. What I am saying is that if even he, who wasn’t, could reach that water mark, then Freeze should to. This was in response to Ellitor.

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I didn’t say Gus was doing a sufficient job, my dude. What I am saying is that if even he, who wasn’t, could reach that water mark, then Freeze should to. This was in response to Ellitor.

HE REACHED IT BECAUSE HE OVERLOADED ON A PARTICULAR SKILL SET. It is not an apples-to-apples comparison. You get that, right? Hugh Freeze could do exactly what Gus did right now, but that would be an idiotic way to build a team. So you will have to be patient, among other people. 

• Like 2