Brock Vandagriff Predicted to Transfer to AU

aubiefifty

Ok from a logical standpoint if he is supposed to be as good as thought why not stay and compete at Georgia where everything is established. Didn’t Bennett graduate.

• Like 1

I’ve not been following the details of transfers but I’d love to have these guys transfer to fill the qb room but never assume they are starting material …

I'm hoping against hope that freeze has a back room deal for a one and done grad transfer with d1 starter experience.   Which means they’d graduate at end of spring from existing school.  Could McCall have some freakish class load to make that happen or some other qb that had transferred to where they are now and needs to be a grad transfer to be immediately eligible?

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, e808 said:

Ok from a logical standpoint if he is supposed to be as good as thought why not stay and compete at Georgia where everything is established. Didn’t Bennett graduate.

The article assumes he will compete, but if he loses the battle he would be a suitable individual here. I caution against that. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

The article assumes he will compete, but if he loses the battle he would be a suitable individual here. I caution against that. 

Ok, got u and agree. Not sure he would win the job at Auburn. Definitely will be interesting to see how this pans out if it happens

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

Ok, got u and agree. Not sure he would win the job at Auburn. Definitely will be interesting to see how this pans out if it happens

Exactly. I am not saying I am against him coming here. I caution people's expectations. He comes here and turns out he is worse than what we have then the fans would want to rip him apart. If he comes in and proves to be sufficient even after losing the starting job at UGA, then he is an exception. The issue is he would be coming in with no experience and during the summer with short practice time. I feel as if our current QBs would clearly be well over him from that standing point.

• Like 1

There are no guarantees except guarantees that some on the forum will criticize the transfer whoever it is. Yes it would have been better to get someone to transfer in Jan. but that didn't happen. Now whoever we get will be someone who had a bad spring or did not win the job or just doesn't think he'll be the starter in the fall.

BV obviously thinks he has a shot at the job or he would probably have jumped before now. At least one of the UGA big 3 will enter the portal that's for sure. Some on here wouldn't want any of them or Bennett either if he entered Grad. transfer. Pretty sure he's used all his Covid and redshirt years. 😄

I'm also pretty sure none of the aforementioned QB transfers were 5* out of HS if that really means anything. I do think BV would be an upgrade over what we have, but it's also possible there could be a better option.

Another factor is CMB. He may have different opinions  from CTM. It's not popular on the board but I think Bobo is a good coach. He and Harsin were a bad combination.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DAG said:

That is an entirely different argument, which the article is not exploring. Also, I highly doubt Brock transfers to Auburn if we bring in an experienced QB. The whole point of him transferring would be to start at the position. Not to be a depth player as you mentioned. My argument is it is a major risk to bring someone in as a transfer who has not been named a starter and has little to no experience, particularly when we really need someone who can come in and get things done.

I totally agree with you and I think everybody is misunderstanding what you're saying. They think you're saying "we don't need a QB just for depth in the QB room."

What I'm pretty sure you're saying is those 2 UGA QB's want to start. If they enter the transfer portal in May, that means they didn't win the starting job at UGA. They aren't going to transfer to Auburn or any other school just to add depth to the QB room. If they can't be a starter at Auburn or another school, why leave UGA? I agree and understand what you're saying. 

You're also right when you said Freeze only wants a transfer QB that can help us now. He has said that a few times. His quote was "If we see a QB in the portal that we think can help us win immediately, then we would definitely look into that." That definitely sounds like he means a QB that can start now and not just be a backup for depth. 

I agree with you.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

At certain points in time, 247 had him ranked as the number 1 QB in his class and the number 4 overall recruit.   I predicted this 3 months ago.   Come on young man and compete to be a starter with 3 QB gurus coaching you.     

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I totally agree with you and I think everybody is misunderstanding what you're saying. They think you're saying "we don't need a QB just for depth in the QB room."

What I'm pretty sure you're saying is those 2 UGA QB's want to start. If they enter the transfer portal in May, that means they didn't win the starting job at UGA. They aren't going to transfer to Auburn or any other school just to add depth to the QB room. If they can't be a starter at Auburn or another school, why leave UGA? I agree and understand what you're saying. 

You're also right when you said Freeze only wants a transfer QB that can help us now. He has said that a few times. His quote was "If we see a QB in the portal that we think can help us win immediately, then we would definitely look into that." That definitely sounds like he means a QB that can start now and not just be a backup for depth. 

I agree with you.

Omg thank you , thank you , thank you !

8 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Exhibit A: The last 2 seasons of quarterback play at Auburn football. 

Vs. his (BV) last two seasons of play? Oh thats right. Didn’t play. Was just highly rated . We are supposed to go off the star rating system in this case, when the guy in front of him was a walk on originally. Gotta go for someone with starting experience if we want them to start otherwise in my mind we have better chance with Geriner.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Vs. his (BV) last two seasons of play? Oh thats right. Didn’t play. Was just highly rated . We are supposed to go off the star rating system in this case, when the guy in front of him was a walk on originally. Gotta go for someone with starting experience if we want them to start otherwise in my mind we have better chance with Geriner.

Find and bring in this mystery player 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@NWALA Tiger What do you mean?

Can't do an intra conference transfer unless the player was in the portal b4 Feb 1st. So if Brock enters portal after spring ball he will have to go out of conference to be eligible immediately. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Can't do an intra conference transfer unless the player was in the portal b4 Feb 1st. So if Brock enters portal after spring ball he will have to go out of conference to be eligible immediately. 

Yeah. I just saw that reminder on On3.

Just because a Georgia backup QB couldn’t start for Georgia who’s aspiring for a three-peat, that doesn’t mean he couldn’t start for Auburn. They would already have a head start at Auburn in that you wouldn’t have to break the Bryan Harsin out of him. We were 5-7 team, if the UGA backup could make Auburn an 8-4 or 9-3 team that would be far better than what we’ve got on our team. The point may be valid on he couldn’t start this season since he’s coming in after that window. But the initial statement still stands.

Edited by AUINSY

15 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Man, that stinks!!!!   All of the QB battles I was looking at for potential transfers were in the SEC.   This little tidbit is a game-changer, in a bad way.  

Edited by AUinMS9528

11 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

This is a new one to me. I learn something new every day. 

On 2/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, gr82b4au said:

IMO It is more about: what have our current players shown when they have played. Ashford was dead last in QBR and turned the ball over a ton… and HG has not played. 
Spring will show us a lot. 

Agreed, but who is going to have a really high QBR with the offensive line we had the last 2 years.   It's hard to be accurate and run for your life at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Agreed, but who is going to have a really high QBR with the offensive line we had the last 2 years.   It's hard to be accurate and run for your life at the same time.

The few really good throws Ashford had were done on the run. He's a fine athlete, I'm not sold on him being a starting QB. He is entering his fourth year as a college QB. It's time for him to settle in or move aside. I think his best potential is at slot receiver but, we'll see soon enough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

This is a new one to me. I learn something new every day. 

Not new. It's why we couldn't land A&M WR transfer Caleb Chapman last year.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not new. It's why we couldn't land A&M WR transfer Caleb Chapman last year.

So is the staff confident that they’ll land someone from OOC?  They obviously deserve major props for beating out Yabo Dabo Doo for White but we’re going to need someone to smooth out the transition for the next two years. And I just don’t believe any QB on our roster will suffice. Hope we’re not looking back at McCall and asking “man, what if…?”

Edited by AUwent

I do remember that rule from last year. I was just hoping that someone had hit the delete button for that stupid rule.

• Like 1