Kermit fired by ole miss

gravejd

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35726097/ole-miss-fires-men-basketball-coach-kermit-davis

His teams always played tough so i won't be too sad to see him go. But always a worry if they replace him with someone better. SEC is enough of a grind. Would not mind a cupcake or 2 on the schedule. 

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35726097/ole-miss-fires-men-basketball-coach-kermit-davis

His teams always played tough so i won't be too sad to see him go. But always a worry if they replace him with someone better. SEC is enough of a grind. Would not mind a cupcake or 2 on the schedule. 

Like for example the article mentions Chris Beard as a possible replacement. Seems quick rehire after beating his wife but with no criminal charges maybe they can do the PR spin and avoid some of the blowback. I do not want that guy in the SEC coaching ole miss and competing for recruits. 

I really liked Kermit.  He will land on his feet somewhere and some team will be glad to have him.

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Like for example the article mentions Chris Beard as a possible replacement. Seems quick rehire after beating his wife but with no criminal charges maybe they can do the PR spin and avoid some of the blowback. I do not want that guy in the SEC coaching ole miss and competing for recruits. 

I've heard Ohio St. may fire their coach and I would expect them to go after Beard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I've heard Ohio St. may fire their coach and I would expect them to go after Beard

I'd be a little surprised if they went after him after the allegations. Unless the lack of prosecution wipes the slate clean in other schools mind. Ohio State folks keep their noses a little more raised than most folks and they may not be on board with hiring a wife beater. 

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'd be a little surprised if they went after him after the allegations. Unless the lack of prosecution wipes the slate clean in other schools mind. Ohio State folks keep their noses a little more raised than most folks and they may not be on board with hiring a wife beater. 

True but just what I heard was possible.

You read what's in this article regarding the police report on Beard and it should make any athletic director swallow hard before making Beard the choice.

1. Chris Beard can dodge a felony charge but not the police report
(Photo: Getty)

The felony charges against former Texas basketball coach Chris Beard were dropped Wednesday because the Travis County District Attorney’s Office said his alleged assault against fiancée Randi Trew “cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Beard is off the hook because Trew dropped a Friday News Dump just two days before Christmas stating Beard was “acting in self-defense” and that “Chris did not strangle me.”

With no felony looming over his head, Beard can try to get back to doing what he does best –– coach basketball. There's already a bunch of scuttlebutt about where Beard could end up next season.

He's probably going to be back on the sideline sooner rather than later.

It’s nauseating, revolting and disgusting.

The police report from that terrible mid-December night tells you everything you need to know:

Trew: “He just snapped on me and became super violent.”
    Trew was asked if the choking impeded her breathing to which she replied, "Yes, I could not breathe, he did it for like probably like five seconds."
    Trew told the officers that Beard placed ‘an arm around her neck’ while he was behind her.
    Trew said Beard threw her off their bed to the floor.
    Trew: “I couldn’t move or do anything at all.”
    Police listed the following injuries on Trew: Bite mark on her right forearm, abrasion to right eyebrow, abrasion to left leg, cut left thumb, scratches on back, scratches on eye.
    Trew: “My leg is really killing me right now” after she was drug off of the bed by Beard.
    no mention of alcohol.

I don’t care what Trew’s updated statement was. I don’t care what Beard’s response to this is. I don’t care that interim Texas coach Rodney Terry said he loved Beard like a brother and doubled down on his character.

I care about the police report.

It’s a right and a privilege to bank millions of dollars to coach basketball. Texas fired Beard because he "engaged in unacceptable behavior that makes him unfit to serve as head coach at our university." If it was unacceptable for Texas, it should be unacceptable everywhere else.

Undoubtedly, some desperate program that wants to win games will interview Beard for their open job because he’s one of college basketball’s elite recruiters and all of his teams play so dang hard. He’ll probably say the right things in the interview. His people will probably back him up. He’ll be overqualified.

Hopefully, that athletic director gives the police report just one more glance. And maybe re-reads it 10 more times before making a final decision.

Source of the above:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/College-basketballs-10-takes-Ugly-truth-about-Chris-Beard-Arkansas-trump-card-heated-Big-Ten-POY-race-205046512/#205046512_1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just listening to ESPN Radio about 10 minutes ago and they reported that Ole Miss is close to hiring Chris Beard. SEC will just keep getting harder and harder in every sport, imo. In years past, I think SEC schools went all in on 1 sport. For example basketball at Kentucky. The bigger schools tried to be nationally relevant in all sports like LSU in football, baseball, basketball, etc. Now it seems nearly all the SEC schools take every sport serious. At one point this season the SEC had 7 teams ranked in the AP top 25 in men's basketball. I love it as an SEC fan but it would also be nice to have a cupcake in the conference every now and then.