2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

Since we are planning to take anywhere from 3-7 new players based on various reports & nuggets it's time to get this bad boy cranked up. We will attempt to keep all discussions in this thread until AU becomes a major factor for a transfer then we will create a separate thread for that transfer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Brown transfer Paxson Wojcik hearing from Nebraska, multiple SEC schools

Brown transfer G Paxson Wojcik Photo by Erica Denhoff/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Former Brown guard Paxson Wojcik has heard from multiple programs since entering the transfer portal Wednesday, he told On3’s Joe Tipton. Wojcik is a graduate transfer.

NebraskaSouth CarolinaAuburnArkansas and Vanderbilt are among the programs to contact Wojcik since he hit the portal, he told Tipton. He has also heard from CalCincinnatiSMU, and Santa Clara.

Wojcik just wrapped up his second season with Brown after transferring from Loyola Chicago. He put together an impressive 2022-23 season this year, averaging 14.9 points and 7.2 rebounds to earn second team All-Ivy League honors. It was quite the jump from 2021-22 when he averaged 9.6 points per game, and he started every game he played for Brown over the last two years.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, toddc said:

Brown transfer Paxson Wojcik hearing from Nebraska, multiple SEC schools

Brown transfer G Paxson Wojcik Photo by Erica Denhoff/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Former Brown guard Paxson Wojcik has heard from multiple programs since entering the transfer portal Wednesday, he told On3’s Joe Tipton. Wojcik is a graduate transfer.

NebraskaSouth CarolinaAuburnArkansas and Vanderbilt are among the programs to contact Wojcik since he hit the portal, he told Tipton. He has also heard from CalCincinnatiSMU, and Santa Clara.

Wojcik just wrapped up his second season with Brown after transferring from Loyola Chicago. He put together an impressive 2022-23 season this year, averaging 14.9 points and 7.2 rebounds to earn second team All-Ivy League honors. It was quite the jump from 2021-22 when he averaged 9.6 points per game, and he started every game he played for Brown over the last two years.

Interesting that he transferred from Loyola to Brown. I didn’t know the Ivy League schools accepted transfers. 

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Looks to me like we're going to be aggressive in the portal this year. Wojcik isn't awful from 3pt line either, about 38% this year.

But he only attempted 6. Also only 68.9% on free throws, career. 

What am I missing…why are we interested in him?

Edited by Mike4AU

49 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

But he only attempted 6. Also only 68.9% on free throws, career. 

What am I missing…why are we interested in him?

Unless I'm misreading the stat line, he went 57-150 on 3pt shots this season. His free throws could use a little improvement, but I'd call that similar to KD (in free throws).

If he were on our team currently, he would arguably be our best guard, and easily be one of our best shooters (Berman has a better 3pt% but much lower volume). Maybe that's a testament to this kid, but it's also a testament to the lack of guard talent we currently have. That's why we are interested.

Edited by KansasTiger

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Unless I'm misreading the stat line, he went 57-150 on 3pt shots this season. His free throws could use a little improvement, but I'd call that similar to KD (in free throws).

If he were on our team currently, he would arguably be our best guard, and easily be one of our best shooters (Berman has a better 3pt% but much lower volume). Maybe that's a testament to this kid, but it's also a testament to the lack of guard talent we currently have. That's why we are interested.

Thanks for the info. I got the 3 point info on Twitter and it reported as career, but upon reflection had to be on one game. 

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting to see if Elijah Fischer enters the portal after Adams was fired at Texas Tech. He had a sub-par freshman year and maybe be an underrated transfer. 6’6 SF that was highly rated coming out of high school.

Kerwin Walton is another highly rated guy that transferred there from North Carolina. He also didn’t do much this year, but his FT and 3P %’s are very good. Potential shooter coming off the bench if he transfers too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t ever put stock into guys on the team putting in or taking their team out the social media profiles, but supposedly a few players did that. Just saw it on Twitter but I can’t substantiate they ever had em in there to begin with so I won’t name names

that being said, I do think it’s full well possible some players will themselves look to go elsewhere without being processed. We may not need to be the bad guys here, for everyone 

On 3/7/2023 at 9:43 AM, ellitor said:

Since we are planning to take anywhere from 3-7 new players based on various reports & nuggets it's time to get this bad boy cranked up. We will attempt to keep all discussions in this thread until AU becomes a major factor for a transfer then we will create a separate thread for that transfer.

Where does the 3-7 number come from? I know we're losing Zep, but is there anyone else that we know we'll lose for sure? I would guess it's a maybe for Flanigan, Williams, Stretch and other seniors that could play a 5th year. Or is it assuming we'll lose quite a few outbound transfers? or what am I missing?  

Barring replacement of outbound transfers, I'm not sure what we need in the portal given Holloway will come in to replace Zep. Holloway looks like the sharpshooter and reliable scorer that we've been missing. And obviously we could have really used a healthy Westry as another scorer, defender, ball handler. If Traore takes a step forward, I would think the team would be better next year based on those 3 alone. I'm guessing that having Holloway would push Westry more towards a 3. Perhaps a 3 & D type? 

Edited by HAPvsOA

2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

is there anyone else that we know we'll lose for sure?

@HAPvsOA Us no. Staff, yes.

Where does the 3-7 number come from?

Paywall reports & Insider posts. As of now it's trending to being 5-6 counting Aden.

I would guess it's a maybe for Flanigan, Williams, Stretch and other seniors that could play a 5th year. Or is it assuming we'll lose quite a few outbound transfers? or what am I missing?  

Those are the SRs that could return. 2 are expected to leave. Jaylin may too if he gets a good grade from the NBA scouts. Zep is gone & we already had an open scholly. Plus 1 or 2 non SRs may leave as well.

Barring replacement of outbound transfers, I'm not sure what we need in the portal given Holloway will come in to replace Zep.

Aden is not necessarily replaceing Zep since we already had an open scholly to use.

Holloway looks like the sharpshooter

Not sure about that. His 3 point % wasn'y great in the AAU circuit last Summer.

I'm not sure what we need in the portal

Easy. Shooters, good wings, & preferrably a taller PG.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@HAPvsOA Us no. Staff, yes.

Paywall reports & Insider posts. As of now it's trending to being 5-6 counting Aden.

Those are the SRs that could return. 2 are expected to leave. Jaylin may too if he gets a good grade from the NBA scouts. Zep is gone & we already had an open scholly. Plus 1 or 2 non SRs may leave as well.

Aden is not necessarily replaceing Zep since we already had an open scholly to use.

Not sure about that. His 3 point % wasn'y great in the AAU circuit last Summer.

Easy. Shooters, good wings, & preferrably a taller PG.

If we lose Flanigan and Williams then that's huge. If that's the case, then I'm hoping Broome, Wendell, KJ, Westry, Traore, Moore ,Donaldson, and Cardwell all come back, but I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 consider a transfer. And that leaves glaring holes at the 3 & 4 spots with only Westry, Moore and Traore left for those minutes. And while I get the desire for a taller PG, that doesn't seem to be Pearl's MO unless Westry gets some of those minutes. I think it's more likely to be Wendell, Donaldson and Aden at the 1. 

Re: Aden, I didn't mean replace in terms of scholly, but more in terms of role. For some reason, I thought I had seen that he was a knockdown shooter. Oh, here it is. 247's scouting eval says he's one of the best shooters in the class, but more of a 2 guard and less of a true point guard. I hope he can regain that shot at AU and he sounds like he could fit into the Wendell, Harper, Samir type combo PG/scorer spot. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

si.com

Five players Auburn basketball could grab out of the transfer portal

Lance Dawe
~3 minutes

Auburn basketball may need to rearrange some pieces this offseason if it is going to make a deeper push in the postseason.

The Tigers should bring back most of their production, with the duo of leading scorers Wendell Green Jr and Johni Broome both coming back (for now). There's an expectation that some players may return (Allen Flanigan, Jaylin Williams) while others depart.

Regardless, it's clear what the Tigers need: more consistency from their guards. Here are five guards Auburn could get out of the transfer portal.

Denver Jones, FIU

The popular pick among fans right now, Denver Jones was everything fans want - height, shooting, and bucket-getting ability. Jones averaged 20.1 points per game in his second season with the Panthers while shooting 47.8% from the floor and 37.1% from three.

At 6-foot-4, this feels like a must-watch for both the Auburn staff and for the fans. Hailing originally from New Market, Alabama, there feels like too many reasons for Jones to give Auburn a very strong look.

Jameer Nelson Jr, Delaware

Nelson is a 6-foot-1 combo guard who was a volume shooter for the Blue Hens last season, Averaging over 20 points per game. 247Sports believes his assist numbers would have been higher if he had better talent surrounding him.

Nelson could easily step in at SG for Auburn.

Walter Clayton Jr, Iona

Another shooter the Tigers could use. Clayton Jr shot 43.1% from deep in his sophomore season for Rick Pitino and Iona, averaging 16.8 points per game. The 6-foot-2 sharpshooter shot 47.4% from outside the arc over the course of his final 15 games as a Gael.

Amaree Abram, Ole Miss

Abram, a former four-star prospect, averaged 8.0 points, 2.0 rebounds, and 2.0 assists during his freshman season with the Rebels. He has the size (6-foot-4) and the shooting (36.4% from three) Auburn may want.

Noah Fernandes, UMass

Fernandes is the shortest of the bunch here, standing at just 5-foot-11. However, he's the best shooter, shooting 48.0% from the floor and 45.2% from deep for UMass. He's a senior transfer who only played in 11 games last season due to injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

si.com

Could Auburn basketball land Denver Jones?

Zac Blackerby
~2 minutes

Denver Jones could be a key target in the transfer portal.

Following Auburn's recent loss to Houston, the Tigers' recruiting efforts are expected to increase. Denver Jones, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Florida International University, has entered the transfer portal and Auburn is among the teams interested in him. Other notable programs interested in Jones include Arkansas, Missouri, Memphis, Miami, Georgia, Florida State, and LSU.

Jones, a native of New Market, Alabama, averaged 20.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 2.0 assists this season while shooting 47.8% from the field and 37.1% from three-point range. Prior to playing with FIU, he played for Garden City Community College.

Auburn is currently lacking in guard play and Jones' addition could be a significant improvement in that area. With only one signee so far, Aden Holloway, a four-star point guard and the No. 27 player in the 2023 recruiting class according to 247 Sports, it is expected to be a busy year for Auburn in the transfer portal. The team is likely to see roster changes this offseason, providing opportunities for fresh talent.

Related Stories

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1