Men vs Iowa in NCAA Tournament

KansasTiger

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Best situation we could possibly ask for. Iowa is an ugly team, and I would assume/hope we get the favorable whistle. We can even go today and go practice on that atrocious arena’s rims and get some more time than Iowa or Houston can. 

also got the easiest 1 seed with Marcus Sasser out. Houston drops from being arguably the best 1 seed to being closer to a 3 seed imo without him 

Iowa basketball is nothing like Iowa football. They have a really good offense. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Best situation we could possibly ask for. Iowa is an ugly team, and I would assume/hope we get the favorable whistle. We can even go today and go practice on that atrocious arena’s rims and get some more time than Iowa or Houston can. 

also got the easiest 1 seed with Marcus Sasser out. Houston drops from being arguably the best 1 seed to being closer to a 3 seed imo without him 

Hasn’t happened all year, probably will get the sorriest refs like we had at Bama.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Iowa basketball is nothing like Iowa football. They have a really good offense. 

we're doomed!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Are we in the same session as Alabama? Is there a chance that Bama packs the BJCC and turn into Iowa fans?

bammers are in Session 1.  Shoudn't be many turd fans in Session 2 unless they have a lot of extra money to spend to cheer against AU and just be turds.  Which wouldn't surprise me (the turd part, not the having extra money part).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Are we in the same session as Alabama? Is there a chance that Bama packs the BJCC and turn into Iowa fans?

Here's the schedule for Thursday at BJCC:

• 11:15 a.m.: Maryland vs. West Virginia (CBS)
  • 1:45 p.m. Alabama vs. TAMU-CC/SEMU (CBS)
  • 5:50 p.m.: Auburn vs. Iowa (TNT)
  • 8:20 p.m.: N. Kentucky vs. Houston (TNT)

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, fishepa said:

bammers are in Session 1.  Shoudn't be many turd fans in Session 2 unless they have a lot of extra money to spend to cheer against AU and just be turds.  Which wouldn't surprise me (the turd part, not the having extra money part).

Wait, if I'm understanding the sessions right, if we win Thursday, they combine the 4 teams remaining into the same session on Saturday. So we would have a ton of Bammers rooting against us in the hypothetical Houston game, no?

8 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

8 teams make the tourney (IMO Vandy deserved a spot) and the SEC is down this year folks. 

I'd argue both Vandy and OKie State deserved spots before NC State and Pitt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Wait, if I'm understanding the sessions right, if we win Thursday, they combine the 4 teams remaining into the same session on Saturday. So we would have a ton of Bammers rooting against us in the hypothetical Houston game, no?

Well hell, Auburn fans can root against the bammers just as well as they can root against us. Right? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I believe you are correct.  It looks like you buy 'session' tickets, not individual game tickets.  This makes sense as there surely isn't time to clear the arena and parking lots and fill them back up again between games within a session.  Following info is from the BJCC web site:

Experience March Madness® in Birmingham March 16 & 18, 2023 at Legacy Arena! The Southeastern Conference hosts the First and Second Rounds of the NCAA ® Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.

TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

All-Session Tickets for First & Second Rounds Include:
Session 1 | March 16 | 2 Games
Session 2 | March 16 | 2 Games 
Session 3 | March 18 | 2 Games

Purchase all-session tickets today

7 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Well hell, Auburn fans can root against the bammers just as well as they can root against us. Right? 

Yeah but they aren't the ones facing a 1 seed and need the homecourt advantage.

• Like 1

That Iowa game is going to be a tough one. The have tall guards and the whole team can shoot 3s better than our guys. We have some size advantage down low but not much and the way they spread out and shoot from all 5 positions on offense likely negates what little size advantage we have. Gonna have to hope that they can't stay in front of Green and he has a good game. If Green can consistently penetrate the defense and we have one of our better games from 3 then i think we can win it. We'll also need to crash the boards like crazy to prevent their size advantage from killing us on the offense glass 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

That Iowa game is going to be a tough one. The have tall guards and the whole team can shoot 3s better than our guys. We have some size advantage down low but not much and the way they spread out and shoot from all 5 positions on offense likely negates what little size advantage we have. Gonna have to hope that they can't stay in front of Green and he has a good game. If Green can consistently penetrate the defense and we have one of our better games from 3 then i think we can win it. We'll also need to crash the boards like crazy to prevent their size advantage from killing us on the offense glass 

well., the hawkeyes have lost 12 games this year.  so, some other teams obviously figured them out.  lets hope CBP and AU does the same!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

That's alot of iffs for us to win

• Haha 1

Basically this game is a pick ‘em. Which team will impose their will onto the other. Iowa has loss 13 games this year. They common opponent is NW in which Iowa split. NW beat them by 20 points at home. This is a very winnable game.

18 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

18 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Committee was very, VERY kind to us...could not have asked for anything better. Have to take advantage now.

17 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I bet we struggle more with Iowa than Houston. If we beat Iowa, we beat Houston.  That's my bold prediction. I think being in Bham helps.  Also if Bama faces Arizona or Baylor, they don't make Final 4. Would love for Virginia or Miami to beat them though just for the haha moment we got teased for. 

Other than being in Birmingham, this is not a good draw for us. Iowa is extremely efficient on offense and a top 30 offensive rebounding team. Houston is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country. We will only go as far as our rebounding takes us. We have been getting dominated on the glass during our struggles and that is what I'm most concerned with looking at these matchups. 

• Like 4

To me there is too much emphasis placed on Iowa efficient offense. This team has lost double digit games and won less games than Auburn. Also lost in the Big 10 tourney to a OSU team with a losing record. Which means their defense isn’t that great. I like Auburns chances in this game 

Edited by e808

5 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Hasn’t happened all year, probably will get the sorriest refs like we had at Bama.

Eh we’ve had some pretty good whistles at home for the most part. We probably do more slapping at a player than many teams do in a month in one game, I do think that’s one thing that doesn’t get a ton of coverage. Unfortunately, road officiating flips that completely on its it’s head, at least in our conference 

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That's alot of iffs for us to win

Yup! Iowa is beatable but AU is VERY beatable as well. I think people are over hyping the home court advantage here. We’ll have more fans but it’s not like Auburn is used to this gym. Looking forward to watching the team give it their all. Hope they can surprise me

Some of y'all are extremely confident in a team that has gone 4-7 since Feb 1st (4-9 since Jan 25th). Auburn has not won a game away from Auburn Arena since Jan 21st. So, this team is going to knock off a Big Ten team that is ranked third in the nation in Ken Pom's adjusted efficiency metric (Auburn is 48th) and then beat a #1 seed? I'm not buying it but I sure hope I'm wrong. We have a better adjusted defense than Iowa so that could help us.

I don't doubt for one second that CBP won't have the right game plan and have the boys ready. Coaching takes over in March. However, I don't have much faith in this team scoring much. I hope I'm eating crow this weekend because I sure would love to see an Auburn/Kennesaw State Elite 8 matchup!

32 minutes ago, woodford said:

Some of y'all are extremely confident in a team that has gone 4-7 since Feb 1st (4-9 since Jan 25th). Auburn has not won a game away from Auburn Arena since Jan 21st. So, this team is going to knock off a Big Ten team that is ranked third in the nation in Ken Pom's adjusted efficiency metric (Auburn is 48th) and then beat a #1 seed? I'm not buying it but I sure hope I'm wrong. We have a better adjusted defense than Iowa so that could help us.

I don't doubt for one second that CBP won't have the right game plan and have the boys ready. Coaching takes over in March. However, I don't have much faith in this team scoring much. I hope I'm eating crow this weekend because I sure would love to see an Auburn/Kennesaw State Elite 8 matchup!

Like  some may be overconfident. Some are giving the kenpom too much merit. They may be ranked high but looking at their schedule it seems they give up a lot as well. The fact is that they are a double digit loss team just like Auburn who got ousted from their tourney by an OSU team with a losing record. They also split with NW a team who Auburn defeated on a neutral court. NW waxed this Kenpom darling at home by 20 points. Yes , I very much like Auburns chances in this game.      For the most part Auburn has been right there minus the KY game. The just need to win 2 of the three areas between turnovers, rebounds and free throws. Preferably all three. This should be interesting WDE.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1