Men vs Iowa in NCAA Tournament

KansasTiger

35 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

Any of you who are concerned about playing Iowa need to check out our home vs away splits for 3pt shooting percentage.  The only away game we shot well was against Indiana and we blew them out.  Also there is significant concern about the Wilson EVO ball being used in the tourney (see last year vs Richmond).  

Mentally soft would be an apt description of the coach and team.

When we shoot well (typically at home), we're pretty much a lock to win the game.  Otherwise, it's a win for Auburn.

Welcome and thanks for insider input.  The Indiana game woke me up to how good Iowa can be. And several good wins but didn't check splits

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

Any of you who are concerned about playing Iowa need to check out our home vs away splits for 3pt shooting percentage.  The only away game we shot well was against Indiana and we blew them out.  Also there is significant concern about the Wilson EVO ball being used in the tourney (see last year vs Richmond).  

When we shoot well (typically at home), we're pretty much a lock to win the game.  Otherwise, it's a win for Auburn.

Welcome to AUF Hawkeye

• Like 6

I don't like matching up with Iowa personally. We are going to miss the bigs we used to complain about. 

We pretty much win if we shoot well. If we don't shoot well that will lead to long rebounds, which leads to transition opportunities, which leads to easy shots, which leads to us having to play slow because we constantly have to inbound, which leads to us having to set up the offense, which leads to us taking tough shots, which leads to us missing shots.....which start this process all over into a loop. Only way to get out of that loop is your PG changes the pace of the game which I haven't seen in a few years so I don't expect it. 

We need to hit shots, drive to the goal, or set up shots for team mates!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't like matching up with Iowa personally. We are going to miss the bigs we used to complain about. 

We pretty much win if we shoot well. If we don't shoot well that will lead to long rebounds, which leads to transition opportunities, which leads to easy shots, which leads to us having to play slow because we constantly have to inbound, which leads to us having to set up the offense, which leads to us taking tough shots, which leads to us missing shots.....which start this process all over into a loop. Only way to get out of that loop is your PG changes the pace of the game which I haven't seen in a few years so I don't expect it. 

^^^^^ pretty obvious. I would add we need to score more points than Iowa does:yes:

21 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I bet we struggle more with Iowa than Houston. If we beat Iowa, we beat Houston.  That's my bold prediction. I think being in Bham helps.  Also if Bama faces Arizona or Baylor, they don't make Final 4. Would love for Virginia or Miami to beat them though just for the haha moment we got teased for. 

I swear I didn't see this thread before I started the Mark My Words thread. This is basically what I said.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Some of y'all are extremely confident in a team that has gone 4-7 since Feb 1st (4-9 since Jan 25th). Auburn has not won a game away from Auburn Arena since Jan 21st. So, this team is going to knock off a Big Ten team that is ranked third in the nation in Ken Pom's adjusted efficiency metric (Auburn is 48th) and then beat a #1 seed? I'm not buying it but I sure hope I'm wrong. We have a better adjusted defense than Iowa so that could help us.

I don't doubt for one second that CBP won't have the right game plan and have the boys ready. Coaching takes over in March. However, I don't have much faith in this team scoring much. I hope I'm eating crow this weekend because I sure would love to see an Auburn/Kennesaw State Elite 8 matchup!

I'll settle for a smart disciplined game from our guards and Flanagan, few turnovers, some offensive rebounds, and hope for the best from outside the 3 point arc. Iowa fans are not confident based on an online Hawkeye call-in show that I watched. They are concerned about AU's tight physical defense, especially against 3 point shots and they have a history of shoting poorly away from home. The latter sounds familiar. I like the match-up for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

100 %. However, I've seen a game or two of theirs and they didn't play much D when I watched. So they have to do the same thing as you said we have to. It will be interesting. 

4 hours ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

Welcome, HoT. Where in TX?

Thanks for the insight.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Welcome, HoT. Where in TX?

Thanks for the insight.  

You're welcome!  Up around Dallas.

...and the assertion that Iowa doesn’t play much defense is incorrect.   We don't play any defense (with any consistency).  Unless we're shooting well, then we play downhill and actually give some effort on the other end of the court.

Dribble penetrate, wait for the overhelp and find the open guy on the arc.  We aren't quick enough to recover to good ball movement.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

^^^^^ pretty obvious. I would add we need to score more points than Iowa does:yes:

Tuck your skirt in and go play

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

...and the assertion that Iowa doesn’t play much defense is incorrect.   We don't play any defense (with any consistency).  Unless we're shooting well, then we play downhill and actually give some effort on the other end of the court.

Dribble penetrate, wait for the overhelp and find the open guy on the arc.  We aren't quick enough to recover to good ball movement.

An honest fan. But don't despair. We can't throw bricks in the ocean for minutes during our games. 

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

We aren't quick enough to recover to good ball movement.

Well, crap! 

I'd say that's one of our biggest weaknesses that and shooting...and offensive rebounding...and shot selection...

Nice, I was in Allen last weekend. I live in the Tyler area.

• Like 1

If bama wins it all, I’m done with bball.  Probably have to move out of the state too.  I just don’t think I could handle the inbreds running around bragging about bball too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

I was in Dallas yesterday. I'm in Fort worth

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 5:23 PM, ArgoEagle said:

but don't see them having a whole bunch of fans on Thursday.

Part of my family who live in B'ham and who are collectively Bama fans will be cheering for Iowa. I bet that will be common.

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Part of my family who live in B'ham and who are collectively Bama fans will be cheering for Iowa. I bet that will be common.

Very possible. But if they are going to watch Bama & AU play, they will have to shell out some money.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Very possible. But if they are going to watch Bama & AU play, they will have to shell out some money.

No one said they had any sense 

• Haha 2

Got a ticket! Excited to cheer on our tigers! I live in bammerham- they are upset that we don’t have to travel AND that we got the night time slot on Thursday night

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Points?

I don't think you're wearing your game face.  I think you're making jokes.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Want a good laugh.. Google Bobby Knight answering a reporters question about his team having their game face

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 8:06 PM, bigbird said:

Well, crap! 

I'd say that's one of our biggest weaknesses that and shooting...and offensive rebounding...and shot selection...

Nice, I was in Allen last wweeekee knownd. I live in the Tyler area.Bir

Bird should have let me know i would have taken you to dinner.