Women's Basketball made the WNIT

ellitor

• WarTiger changed the title to Women's Basketball made the WNIT

I hope they get some use from the practice time. The WNIT is a for profit organization. The team that bids the most hosts.  We host Friday.  Therefore, the Auburn athletic department guarantees a minimum gate revenue and either bids on top of that or pays that set amount if Tulane declines.

Players like this are players that Auburn has to keep in state and get to Auburn if we are to ever climb from where we are to where we want to be.  When Nell Fortner took the Auburn job, she made keeping players like this a top priority.  It paid off.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2023/03/hoover-senior-unc-signee-reniya-kelly-named-gatorade-player-of-the-year.html

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Players like this are players that Auburn has to keep in state and get to Auburn if we are to ever climb from where we are to where we want to be.  When Nell Fortner took the Auburn job, she made keeping players like this a top priority.  It paid off.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2023/03/hoover-senior-unc-signee-reniya-kelly-named-gatorade-player-of-the-year.html

Really don't expect to get a boost in recruiting unless we go to Nike in 2025. I'm assuming Nike has a heavy indluence on girls AAU and what colleges they go just as it does with boys AAU & college.

• Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Really don't expect to get a boost in recruiting unless we go to Nike in 2025. I'm assuming Nike has a heavy indluence on girls AAU and what colleges they go just as it does with boys AAU & college.

Honestly, that is just an excuse.  The men's program was in even worse shape when Bruce took over.  That didn't stop him.  I doubt we end up with Nike.  They will likely low ball us with their offer.  Bruce wants us to go with Adidas.  I expect the big 3 to submit bids.  Adidas didn't hamper Ms State from grabbing transfers and turning the ship this year under Sam Purcell.  South Carolina is an Under Armour school.

Ofcourse, the reason we are in this mess is our decision to hire  Terry Williams-Flournoy and extending her contract twice.  She had as many connections to AAU basketball as anyone could possibly have.  Her brother is the former head of AAU ball.  That was a big part of why she got the job over Kelly Harper.  We see what good that did us.  We can get athletes at Auburn.  I'm not certain why Johnnie has struggled to find and develop the right talent.  I hope she turns that around, but if not, someone else will get a shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Auburn plays tonight against Tulane @ Neville.

3 hours ago, AU9377 said:

onestly, that is just an excuse

@AU9377 not an excuse. Just reality. Yes Bruce has done well in recruiting but he would be doing better had we had Nike or the Jordan brand.  Also, the only reason Bruce was able to deal with having under armor well is because he was already established brand himself. If he wasn’t, he would’ve struggled a lot more recruiting with under armor.

I doubt we end up with Nike

Not sure why you think that. They’ve been reportedly negotiating with us for over a month now. For when our contract with under armor is up in 2025.

Bruce wants us to go with Adidas

Not what I’ve heard.

Adidas didn't hamper Ms State from grabbing transfers and turning the ship this year under Sam Purcell. 

Adidas and under armor on the AAU circuit are not even remotely comparable. Adidas is solid while under armor is straight trash.

South Carolina is an Under Armour school

There again Dawn Staley is a big brand herself and can mitigate a crappy apparel a company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@AU9377 not an excuse. Just reality. Yes Bruce has done well in recruiting but he would be doing better had we had Nike or the Jordan brand.  Also, the only reason Bruce was able to deal with having under armor well is because he was already established brand himself. If he wasn’t, he would’ve struggled a lot more recruiting with under armor.

Not sure why you think that. They’ve been reportedly negotiating with us for over a month now. For when our contract with under armor is up in 2025.

Not what I’ve heard.

Adidas and under armor on the AAU circuit are not even remotely comparable. Adidas is solid while under armor is straight trash.

There again Dawn Staley is a big brand herself and can mitigate a crappy apparel a company.

I understand people love to hate on UA.  However, they paid us more than twice what Nike would have paid us years ago and have been a good partner. I don't dislike their products, but I do like Nike products better usually.  Regarding AAU ball and women's basketball, it really isn't on the same level of importance as AAU boys basketball.  To be honest, with NIL, the importance of AAU ball on the boy's side isn't what it used to be either.

Bruce likes Adidas for several reasons.  They have an NIL program that helps their schools . https://www.si.com/college/2022/03/23/adidas-name-image-likeness-network.

He also likes them due to relationships he built going back to Tennessee, which was an Adidas school at the time.

Our current UA deal pays us close to 8 million a year in compensation and uniform allowances compared to the $5.5 that Nike pays bama.  When Tennessee went to Nike, Nike low balled them and they currently receive approx 4 million per season in compensation and uniforms compared to the almost 8 million that UA pays Auburn.

I would love to see Nike step up and pay us, but they will have to offer us more than they currently pay bama to make it desirable..  Maybe they will.  We have been in tlaks with all three major apparel providers.

I don't believe it will provide an advantage with regard to women's basketball.  We simply have to hire or Johnnie has to perform at a high level.  The talent is out there.  Bama brought in a couple of transfers this year that pushed them in the right direction.  I know for a fact that Auburn could have landed their best transfer, but we didn't offer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Auburn leading Tulane 13-7.  5 left in first

Auburn looking good in this one after 1 quarter.  21-11. Getting a lot of fast breaks off steals.  Tulane scored 3 threes in those 11 points so only 4 buckets so far for them

Now Auburn has opened up 28-13 lead 2 mins into 2nd quarter. 

Auburn has blown it open!!! Relentless D. Up 21.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Are they on tv?

They were on ESPN+. Tigers win though. 

Screenshot_20230317_215801_CBS Sports.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 10:20 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They looked just overwhelming in person. Overmatched opponent, but it’s good Auburn is in a position where they can win against semi competitive teams off of talent 

I agree.  I would also point out that Tulane is a very well coached team.  They are definitely lacking in talent this year.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I agree.  I would also point out that Tulane is a very well coached team.  They are definitely lacking in talent this year.

Agreed. Clemson is a step up from Tulane résumé wise. If we can somehow beat them tomorrow it will be our second best win of the season in terms of net rankings.

• Like 2

We lost by a point, 55-56. From what I read, Richardson and Coulibaly got hurt during the game. 

Edited by TD1
  • Sad 1

Well. Encouraging late season run.  Let's build on this and get better. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TD1 said:

We lost by a point, 55-56. From what I read, Richardson and Coulibaly got hurt during the game. 

Both were hurt in the 4th quarter. Coulibably first by an elbow to the face that flattened her and was deemed flagrant. Richardson was in last few minutes of 4th when she went up for shot and wound up landing backwards on floor striking the back of her head. With my O&B glasses, it looked like one of the two Clemson defenders moved under her causing her to fall but not sure and no foul was called. We had two charges in the last roughly minute of the game that eliminated the chance to pull it out.

• Like 1

Not Auburn but WNIT related.  Saw the video of laying someone out in the handshake line.  Kind of the escalated version of the altercation between the Louisville and Texas girls where just words were exchanged.  I think this may be the 2nd time Memphis girls were involved in altercation this year? Crazy.