2023 4* UAH Transfer Forward Chaney Johnson Commits To AU!

AU Is Gold

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Chaney Johnson from UAH visiting Auburn this Thursday. 

Could push Jaylin at the 4 & get time at the 3.

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 4* UAH Transfer Forward Chaney Johnson

Auburn has landed Chaney Johnson in the transfer portal from The University of Alabama in Huntsville (D2).

Johnson is a high-flying six-foot-seven guard that can float in the air. He is a flexible player who can play the shooting guard and small forward positions. 

He was listed as one of the top ten plays at his position in the portal by On3, so while Johnson is coming from the division two level, he is a heck of a player ready to compete in the SEC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UAH forward Chaney Johnson is a Tiger: 'Auburn is the place for me'

5 minutes ago

Chaney Johnson is going up a level, but he's not going far.

The former UAH stretch-four announced his commitment to Auburn during a visit. Johnson played high school basketball at Thompson (Ala.) and is originally from Alabaster, Alabama.

The biggest change for Johnson is going to be changing his rooting interest. Growing up an Alabama fan in a family that is filled with Auburn fans that live just up 280 from Auburn in Alexander City, he said it's definitely going to be something he'll have to get used to but he's ready for the opportunity on the Plains.

"Coach (Bruce) Pearl tried to get me to say War Eagle and I couldn't say it, even after I committed," Johnson said. "I'll get used to it eventually."

Playing D-II basketball at UAH, Johnson was named the Gulf South Conference Player of the Year and has been dominant at UAH. This past season, Johnson averaged 15.9 points and upped his rebounding to 6.6 per game while making 75.9 percent of his free throw attempts. A 37 percent shooter from three-point range in his career, Johnson is very capable of playing multiple spots in Auburn's system and he can't wait. 

One of the reasons he's so excited is because of what it means to his family.

"I feel like Auburn is the place for me," he said. "It means a lot being a lot closer to my family and being a lot closer to my grandma in Alexander City. Going to school at UAH, I'm coming from the North to the South. To come see my grandma was a three and a half hour drive. Now I'm closer to be able to see her. I'm closer to a lot of my family and a lot of them on my mom's side are big Auburn fans."

Williams has one year of eligibility remaining and Johnson is expected to slot in behind him, replacing the role of former 5-star Yohan Traore who entered the portal. Johnson is listed at 6-foot-7 and 208 pounds, capable of playing as a stretch-four or a bigger three, if needed.

Johnson is Auburn's second transfer portal addition, joining former FIU guard Denver Jones, who is expected to slot in as the starting shooting guard.

5COMMENTS

The new Auburn addition has two years of eligibility remaining and he said he's ready to get to work.

"I'm working on all aspects of my game," Johnson said. "I feel like I'm a decently balanced basketball player. I can do everything well, but I don't specialize in anything. It's just finding things that Coach Pearl and coach Steven Pearl think I need to work on. Just trying up all my skills."

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

• Like 1
  • Love 6

• Like 2
  • Love 2

IMG_2768.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Now this is more like it! Welcome to AU Chaney!!

Here are his career stats. Not sure what happened to his 3pt percentage this past season. Went from an amazing 46% to an ugly 29%. He gets back to the former and he'll be one heck of a player for us.
image.thumb.png.adf7e5d14fa2fe60a01991cc5823c2bc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, toddc said:

UAH forward Chaney Johnson is a Tiger: 'Auburn is the place for me'

5 minutes ago

Chaney Johnson is going up a level, but he's not going far.

The former UAH stretch-four announced his commitment to Auburn during a visit. Johnson played high school basketball at Thompson (Ala.) and is originally from Alabaster, Alabama.

The biggest change for Johnson is going to be changing his rooting interest. Growing up an Alabama fan in a family that is filled with Auburn fans that live just up 280 from Auburn in Alexander City, he said it's definitely going to be something he'll have to get used to but he's ready for the opportunity on the Plains.

"Coach (Bruce) Pearl tried to get me to say War Eagle and I couldn't say it, even after I committed," Johnson said. "I'll get used to it eventually."

Playing D-II basketball at UAH, Johnson was named the Gulf South Conference Player of the Year and has been dominant at UAH. This past season, Johnson averaged 15.9 points and upped his rebounding to 6.6 per game while making 75.9 percent of his free throw attempts. A 37 percent shooter from three-point range in his career, Johnson is very capable of playing multiple spots in Auburn's system and he can't wait. 

One of the reasons he's so excited is because of what it means to his family.

"I feel like Auburn is the place for me," he said. "It means a lot being a lot closer to my family and being a lot closer to my grandma in Alexander City. Going to school at UAH, I'm coming from the North to the South. To come see my grandma was a three and a half hour drive. Now I'm closer to be able to see her. I'm closer to a lot of my family and a lot of them on my mom's side are big Auburn fans."

Williams has one year of eligibility remaining and Johnson is expected to slot in behind him, replacing the role of former 5-star Yohan Traore who entered the portal. Johnson is listed at 6-foot-7 and 208 pounds, capable of playing as a stretch-four or a bigger three, if needed.

Johnson is Auburn's second transfer portal addition, joining former FIU guard Denver Jones, who is expected to slot in as the starting shooting guard.

5COMMENTS

The new Auburn addition has two years of eligibility remaining and he said he's ready to get to work.

"I'm working on all aspects of my game," Johnson said. "I feel like I'm a decently balanced basketball player. I can do everything well, but I don't specialize in anything. It's just finding things that Coach Pearl and coach Steven Pearl think I need to work on. Just trying up all my skills."

Great pickup

WAR EAGLE AND WELCOME TO THE FAMILY.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

Now this is more like it! Welcome to AU Chaney!!

Here are his career stats. Not sure what happened to his 3pt percentage this past season. Went from an amazing 46% to an ugly 29%. He gets back to the former and he'll be one heck of a player for us.
image.thumb.png.adf7e5d14fa2fe60a01991cc5823c2bc.png

Yep and FTs are definitely trending in the right direction. 

• Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, toddc said:

I’m not the biggest “War Eagle” homer but I don’t love reading this part lol 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, toddc said:

IMG_2768.jpeg

that is a good look for ya toddster! you might need a tylenol..........

• Haha 1