Auburn all-time assists leader Gerald White passes away

I am not sure how we missed this one..........

Auburn all-time assists leader Gerald White passes away

Nathan King
2–3 minutes

Former Auburn point guard Gerald White has passed away, Auburn mayor Ron Anders shared on social media Thursday afternoon. The Auburn basketball program confirmed the news Friday.

The program's all-time assists leader, White's four-year Auburn career (1983-84 to 1986-87) under coach Sonny Smith featured three 20-win seasons, four NCAA Tournament appearances, and the program's first Sweet Sixteen berth (1985) and first Elite Eight (1986).

“Gerald White was the leading scorer in the state of Georgia and attended the same high school as Pat Dye,” Smith said in a release. “We recruited him to Auburn to become a point guard, instead of a shooting guard, and he ended up starting all four years. He didn’t have a selfish bone in his body and made everyone around him better. During that time, we went to the NCAA Tournament every year including the Elite Eight. He was a very good student and knew all along he would be a coach.

“He was recruited to Auburn by my former assistant coach, Mack McCarthy, and later joined Mack on his staff at Chattanooga and VCU. Gerald never met a stranger. He was totally committed to coaching and giving back to kids in his hometown of Augusta. He was a successful recruiter and recruited kids that were like him. My condolences to his family and everyone he impacted throughout his life.”

The Augusta, Georgia, native amassed 624 assists across 122 games as Tiger. White is also No. 8 all-time in steals (164).

22COMMENTS

After playing alongside names like Charles Barkley and Chuck Person at Auburn, White was drafted by the Dallas Mavericks in 1987. White went on to coach as an assistant at Augusta State, Chattanooga, Georgia State and VCU.

White is a member of Auburn's illustrious Tiger Trail. 

">247Sports
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2