2023 North Texas 3* Transfer LB Larry Nixon Commits to AU!

toddc

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I beileve the visit has ended. JLee says AU appears to be in a very good spot. Decision Tuesday.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I beileve the visit has ended. JLee says AU appears to be in a very good spot. Decision Tuesday.

We're feeling good.

• Like 3

Former North Texas LB Larry Nixon III commits to Auburn

The former North Texas standout arrives with one year of eligibility remaining.

Christian Clemente4 mins

AUBURN, Alabama — A first team All-Conference USA selection will spend his final year of collegiate eligibility at Auburn.

Former North Texas linebacker Larry Nixon III announced on Tuesday his commitment to Auburn, choosing the Tigers over Miami and West Virginia. Nixon III visited Miami last weekend, with trips to Auburn and West Virginia over this past weekend. His transfer commitment is the second of the day for Auburn — and the second former North Texas transfer — as he joins wide receiver transfer Jyaire Shorter.

Ultimately, the SEC was his choice.

"Being in Auburn, it’s crazy," Nixon III said. "You can’t beat that stadium, being in the SEC."

Spending five seasons at North Texas, Nixon III is a graduate transfer with one year of eligibility remaining at his next stop. After redshirting in 2018, Nixon III worked his way into the rotation for the Mean Green, eventually becoming the second-leading tackler during the 2022 season.

Nixon III was a first team All-Conference USA selection in 2022 as he totaled 105 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and a sack. He finished his career at North Texas with 246 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks.

After landing Austin Keys and DeMario Tolan in the first portal window, Keys solidified his role as Auburn's mike linebacker in spring practice. Nixon III is expected to play at will linebacker, along with Tolan.

"Speed, coverage ability," Nixon III said. "I can get one-on-ones, blitzing ability and everything. That’s what they’re looking for out of me. Everything I just saw on film now is perfect. I can do everything that they want me to do."

In the 247Sports transfer portal player rankings, Nixon III is a 3-star and the No. 418 overall player. 247Sports ranks him as the No. 35 linebacker. Auburn currently holds the No. 3 class in the 247Sports transfer portal team rankings.

Nixon III is transfer pickup No. 6 for Auburn in the second portal window, joining Shorter, former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne, former Ohio State receiver Caleb Burton, former Tulsa offensive lineman Jaden Muskrat and former App State edge rusher Jalen McLeod.

• Thanks 1

• Zeek changed the title to 2023 North Texas 4* Transfer LB Larry Nixon Commits to AU!
  • Zeek pinned and featured this topic

I expect him to start.

104 total tackles last year, 240 career tackles, and a solid 6’2” 236 build. If his speed is even decent Auburn could be the perfect spring board for him to reach the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 North Texas 3* Transfer LB Larry Nixon Commits to AU!
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Beat out Mario for him.  We comin'

Yeah, he entered the portal thinking Miami. Having the last visit was probably a big help.

• Like 2

10 years ago, had you told me we were signing 2 transfers from North Texas I would have asked what kind of s***show are we running, we are desperate.

times have definitely changed.  my gut tells me the lb will be the bigger contributer of the two 

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

104 total tackles last year, 240 career tackles, and a solid 6’2” 236 build. If his speed is even decent Auburn could be the perfect spring board for him to reach the NFL.

That's a lot of production for a guy 247 and On3 rate as a 3* transfer.

• Like 1

Just now, lutzcammed said:

we are desperate

Don't be fooled.  They can play

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ellitor said:

That's a lot of production for a guy 247 and In3 rate as a 3* transfer.

Absolutely right! 

• Like 1

Trovon’s calling card lol. I think this was before Nixon. We could be done in the portal. I know there is one or two more possibilities. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@bigbird Don't need names but do you know of any more legit transfer targets?

Ben Dover

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Did we offer that Hooks kid? From JSU? I believe we did.

@Tigerpro2a Yes but not sure if he has visited or even if the staff needs him to.

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

@Tigerpro2a Yes but not sure if he has visited or even if the staff needs him to.

Last I read he hadn’t visited yet. 

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@bigbird Don't need names but do you know of any more legit transfer targets?

Ukwu

Sings

Hooks

A couple safeties 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ukwu

Sings

Hooks

A couple safeties 

Sings does not impress me but I understand the logic

3 minutes ago, bigbird said: