2023 4* Jackson State Transfer WR Shane Hooks Commits to AU!

Zeek

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

This part of the “we” hasn’t!!

I thought all reports from spring were really positive until he got hurt before A Day

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Wonder what our "culture" is?

Hopefully a”winning “ culture!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

This part of the “we” hasn’t!!

My only concern is the chemistry and skillset is takes to run the RPOs really well. 

7 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

My only concern is the chemistry and skillset is takes to run the RPOs really well. 

That may affect getting the ball to Mr. Brown, but for Mr. Brown running the routes, and catching the ball will get him to #1 WR.

16 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

That may affect getting the ball to Mr. Brown, but for Mr. Brown running the routes, and catching the ball will get him to #1 WR.

A little more complicated in this offense.

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 4* Jackson State Transfer WR Shane Hooks

I think he just committed to us? lol

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Zeek changed the title to 2023 4* Jackson State Transfer WR Shane Hooks Commits to AU!
  • Zeek featured and pinned this topic

This one receiver had 10 receiving TD's last year.    Without looking, how many passing TD's do you think our QBs threw last year?

• Haha 1

Any questions about Freeze thought of our WR group should be answered after this transfer cycle.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

This one receiver had 10 receiving TD's last year.    Without looking, how many passing TD's do you think our QBs threw last year?

1?

• Haha 1

Auburn depth chart impact: WR Shane Hooks

Hooks was Jackson State’s leading receiver last season

Auburn’s adding even more firepower and experience to its passing game. 

The Tigers’ 20th transfer addition of the cycle is Jackson State receiver Shane Hooks, who committed to Auburn on Sunday after visiting last week. He had formerly been committed to Ole Miss in April but decommitted a week later.

That now makes four transfer wideout additions for first-year position coach Marcus Davis’ room: Hooks, Cincinnati’s Nick Mardner, Ohio State’s Caleb Burton and North Texas’ Jyaire Shorter. 

Hooks spent his first three college seasons at Ohio. In his first season as a starter in 2019, the Orlando, Florida, native had 515 yards and five touchdowns. 

Hooks transferred to Deion Sanders’ Jackson State program ahead of the 2021 season. Last year, he was the team’s leading receiver in every major category, with 64 catches, 748 yard and 10 scores. 

Hooks is the seventh incoming transfer for Auburn in the second portal window — joining Libety defensive end Stephen Sings V, North Texas linebacker Larry Nixon III, North Texas receiver Jyaire Shorter, App State pass-rusher Jalen McLeod, Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne, Ohio State receiver Caleb Burton and Tulsa offensive lineman Jaden Muskrat — and the 20th overall for Hugh Freeze’s transfer class, which is now ranked as the nation’s No. 2 class by 247Sports.

With the Tigers likely finished adding to the offense via the transfer portal, let’s take a look at how Hooks could impact the receiving corps’ rotation in 2023. 

Seniors: Shane Hooks, Jyaire Shorter, Ja'Varrius Johnson, Nick Mardner

Juniors: Koy Moore (RS), Malcolm Johnson Jr. (RS)

Sophomores: Camden Brown, Omari Kelly

Freshmen: Caleb Burton (RS), Jay Fair(RS), Daquayvious Sorey

--

Depth chart projection

WR/X: Camden Brown OR Jyaire Shorter(1); Nick Mardner (2)

WR/Z: Shane Hooks (1) OR Koy Moore(1); Malcolm Johnson Jr. (2) OR Omari Kelly (2)

WR/H: Ja'Varrius Johnson (1); Jay Fair (2) OR Caleb Burton (2)

At 6-foot-4, Hooks is capable of being an outside threat and a consistent target on the perimeter. That’s how he did a lot of damage for Jackson State, but at Auburn, Hooks may serve as an athletic and lengthy complement to some of the Tigers’ other additions on the outside. 

After all, Auburn already brought in the 6-foot-5 Mardner in the first transfer window, then grabbed Shorter last week, whose skill set screams outside receiver. Hooks, meanwhile, is fast enough to get defenses moving side to side in the flanker spot, while also capable of stretching the field and taking the top off defenses. 

The former LSU transfer Moore had a few strong performances that allowed to finish as Auburn’s second-leading receiver last season, but he did so with only 314 yards and one touchdown. Hooks could be a more experienced and explosive option.

Auburn’s foursome of transfer receivers will obviously have to earn their roles in the offense — especially the three that committed after spring practice. But Hooks nonetheless caps off an impressive haul in the portal for Davis that undoubtedly provides a substantial upgrade for a position group that’s lacked consistency the past two seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Negative 5

• Haha 1

Bird and WED you both were very close.   8.   Let that sink in.   8.   These last 2 receivers had 21.    Next year's going to be fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, CR said:

Any questions about Freeze thought of our WR group should be answered after this transfer cycle.

CR, I had the exact same thought.   It speaks volumes doesn't it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Bird and WED you both were very close.   8.   Let that sink in.   8.   These last 2 receivers had 21.    Next year's going to be fun.

Most ppl have mentioned it, but Hugh will set passing and receiving records very quickly. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Great pickup. Hopefully he can keep his cool. There's worries about him being a loose Cannon on the field. Celebrating excessively, cheap shots etc. I trust Brother Hugh though. We need a fiery attitude guy at WR anyway but not too much.

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Most ppl have mentioned it, but Hugh will set passing and receiving records very quickly. 

He is showing that nothing is impossible at Auburn if you believe in work, hard work, and are willing to engage in it.

6 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Great pickup. Hopefully he can keep his cool. There's worries about him being a loose Cannon on the field. Celebrating excessively, cheap shots etc. I trust Brother Hugh though. We need a fiery attitude guy at WR anyway but not too much.

If Hugh can channel it, it could be great. Reminds me of if someone could've channeled Seth Williams, he might've been remembered as possibly the  best receiver to ever come through AU.

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

There have been times over the last few year I wished we’d at least be chippy even if we’re not good lol. Steve Smith for the Panthers was a lot of fun with a lot of fire.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Maybe emulating his coaches attitude!