2023 4* Juco Wing Chad Baker-Mazara Commits to AU!

toddc

• Like 2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Don't we have like 4 open scholarships? We are we limiting ourselves to just one?

3. Bruce has already said Lior is getting one & said we will likely have 11 or 12 players on scholly.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Yeah...

Edit: its gonna actually be embarrassing when we don't get our top 4 choices at the 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Yeah...

Edit: its gonna actually be embarrassing when we don't get our top 4 choices at the 3.

Don't guess he looks at us like a blue blood lol 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Don't guess he looks at us like a blue blood lol 

Well luckily it's not just about that. But it's not a position I wanted to be in.

• Like 1

Coincidentally, Kentucky has hosted and has offered San Diego State transfer wing Keshad Johnson.  At this point it looks Kentucky has not offered, but not saying they wont.  We offer him a great deal of playing time, and you know Calipari always is partial to playing his over rated and underachieving freshmen 

• Like 1

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic

He can shoot and I like his size at the wing.  I liked Cleveland over Lawrence and he is a similar player to Cleveland.  He has played at a high level in the Ncaa tourney and SDSU kids are well coached and tough.

• Like 1

BREAKING: Auburn hoops adds commitment from 6-7 JUCO shooter Chad Baker-Mazara

Auburn added a commitment from Chad Baker-Maraza on Thursday night

Jason Caldwell36 mins

Looking to continue to add firepower from the perimeter to the roster heading into the 2023-24 season, coach Bruce Pearl and the Auburn Tigers added another big piece to the roster late on Thursday night with the commitment from 6-7 junior college transfer Chad Baker-Maraza. Starting his career at Duquesne before moving to San Diego State, Baker-Maraza played last season at Northwest Florida, but is now headed to the Plains.

"I had a great time with the coaches, the whole staff actually," Baker-Maraza said after visiting Auburn on Wednesday. "It's not just the coaching staff, but the whole staff that works for B.P. I had a great time talking to them. They told me what they're goal is for me and with the team. It was good."

With Allen Flanigan going into the transfer portal, Auburn is looking for size and athleticism on the wing and also someone that can knock down shots. Baker-Mazara could be just what the doctor ordered after a very quick courting period. Offering him just a few days ago, Auburn got the talented scorer on a visit in whirlwind fashion.

"We found this out about three days ago," he said. "Coach Pearl called me and said 'hell of a player, I really like what I've seen. I know this might be a little rushed, but would you want to come up?' So I said 'let's go up there and see what's up.' It was pretty quick, but I'm happy that I ended up coming here to visit. It gives me a better picture of things."

Last season in the junior college ranks, Baker-Mazara averaged 15.7 points per game in just 26.7 minutes of action while shooting 46.9 percent from three-point range (67-143) and 83.5 percent from the line (86-103). That came on the heels of a strong sophomore year at San Diego State when he was named the Mountain West Conference sixth-man of the year after averaging 6.4 points per game while playing an average of 12 minutes per game off the bench.

A starter in 13 of the 15 games he played in at Duquesne in 2020-21, Baker-Mazara averaged 9.4 points while shooting 41.7 percent from three-point range.

With those numbers and his ability to score from the wing, Baker-Mazara said he feels like it could be a good fit for him if he chose Auburn.

"It feels really good to have that opportunity, to be honest," he said. "Just having a coach tell you that he needs you, it brings joy to you and makes you feel important. It's a great feeling, especially a program like Auburn and how successful they've been throughout the years."

Baker-Mazara becomes the fourth newcomer for Auburn this year, joining 5-star Aden Holloway, FIU transfer Denver Jones and UAH transfer Chaney Johnson.

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

"Coach Pearl called me and said 'hell of a player, I really like what I've seen. I know this might be a little rushed, but would you want to come up?'

I hate being the guy to read a lot into words that probably means nothing, but I feel like there's an implication we were feeling some heat in relation to other prospects.

We'll see how it goes though. I'm glad this fella gets to live out his dream on the highest level of basketball, and I'm sure he'll have a chip.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

My comment in this Twitter thread must have swayed him 😆 

Said that's because Calipari knows what will happen if you come to Auburn.  You are the missing piece Bruce needs!

Hehe

there’s some metrics and highlights on Twitter that can make you feel better about this signing, if that’s needed. I’m in wait and see mode, but at least they found a D2 guy that fits their preferred style to a tee and not just some random 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

My comment in this Twitter thread must have swayed him 😆 

Said that's because Calipari knows what will happen if you come to Auburn.  You are the missing piece Bruce needs!

Hehe

Yep. I am convinced I pulled him in LOL --- 'missing piece'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Nice pickup! I'm no scout but i really think he fits what we need more than the Vandy kid. 6'7" wing who shot a very high percentage from 3...i am all for it. I thought the 3 spot was our weak link at the moment and he fits that role better with his size. I think this will make us more versatile in our lineups. We can go a "small" lineup with Jaylin at the 5 Chaney at the 4 and Baker at the 3. If we get Broome back as expected and the young PGs can hold up i think we can have a dangerous team next season. Should be improved at all 5 positions. 

• Like 2