Softball Transfer Portal Thread

Not good

https://extrainningsoftball.com/auburn-slugger-bri-ellis-enters-transfer-portal/

Auburn slugger Bri Ellis has entered the NCAA’s transfer portal, sources confirmed to Extra Inning Softball.

The 2022 SEC Freshman of the Year, Ellis earned all-conference honors and was a top-10 finalist for National Freshman of the Year in her rookie season.

During the first two seasons of her career, Ellis owns a .288 batting average, 34 home runs, 16 doubles, 96 RBIs, and a slugging percentage of .685. In her sophomore season in 2023, Ellis hit .275 with 14 home runs and 47 RBIs. Her 32 walks on the season also set a career high.

• Sad 6

That's a tough loss. 

I also didn't know that Garcia entered the portal before the season was over. 

Robocoach saying she wants to be closer to home (Houston), so I imagine Texas or A&M will get a good one. She was not only a great player but also a great personality and representative for Auburn. 

Lindsay Garcia went into the portal prior to regionals.

Phillip Marshall also reporting Blaine is in the portal. He also mentions another player could enter. 

Edited by Jad0003

56 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

Robocoach saying she wants to be closer to home (Houston), so I imagine Texas or A&M will get a good one. She was not only a great player but also a great personality and representative for Auburn. 

Lindsay Garcia went into the portal prior to regionals.

Phillip Marshall also reporting Blaine is in the portal. He also mentions another player could enter. 

This makes me soooo sad.  Totally agree with your assessment of Ellis - she was my favorite player.

Guessing Blaine wants more playing time and Garcia is ready for a change after graduating  (she didn't look to me like she was having fun most of the season).  I also read several months ago that Sydney Cox was unhappy with her lack of playing time after starting last year so wouldn't be surprised if she enters the portal.

3 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

She is very close to her family, especially her sister.  They've consistently come to Auburn for softball weekends.  This one hurts.  She's my daughter's favorite player (me as well).  Honestly makes me not want to watch AU softball.  Thank goodness a long time between now and then.  I bet she goes for 20HRs next year if on a team with more weapons on offense. Thank you Bri! Love you girl. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

This makes me soooo sad.  Totally agree with your assessment of Ellis - she was my favorite player.

Guessing Blaine wants more playing time and Garcia is ready for a change after graduating  (she didn't look to me like she was having fun most of the season).  I also read several months ago that Sydney Cox was unhappy with her lack of playing time after starting last year so wouldn't be surprised if she enters the portal.

Buzz in Auburn say Garcia did not get along with Dean/Lenti. 

We don't have enough NIL money to hold on to important players? My guess is that we got out-bid, along with other minor factors.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Buzz in Auburn say Garcia did not get along with Dean/Lenti. 

Bri had a tweet about her sister supporting her even though she didn't know the garbage behind the scenes. Just made me wonder since she is now transferring. 

An article in the Opelika-Auburn News quotes her Instagram announcement of her decision to enter the portal: 

“Thank you for everything Auburn Family,” Ellis said. “Your endless support through the toughest trials and greatest joy means the world to me. I am so proud and forever grateful to have been able to call this place home for the past two years. This was my favorite group of girls I have ever played with. Each of us showed up every single day and put out our best for this University.”

“No matter the adversity, the discomfort, the exhaustion, the self-doubt, the outside hate, we kept moving forward,” Ellis posted. “Most people have no idea what it takes to be a student-athlete, and that’s what makes it so special. Thank you to my coaches for believing in me and allowing me to be myself. I know I can be a lot to handle but I hope I proved myself worth the trouble.

“This University is one of the greatest things to ever happen to me, and it will always hold a special place in my heart. Auburn is truly one of a kind. It breaks my heart, but I must do what is right for myself in this journey. I am excited to see where life takes me, but I will never ever forget where I started and the people who got me there. Goodbye Auburn, please never forget me.”

Interesting/troubling that she mentions 'the outside hate'?  Last paragraph sounds to me like she's leaving because she's unhappy about something, not because she wants to be closer to home...  Really sad to see her go.

Link to full article:

https://oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/auburn-slugger-bri-ellis-posts-farewell-enters-transfer-portal/article_fcb65b68-f8f0-11ed-8a73-8b4c0a1151b6.html

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We don't have enough NIL money to hold on to important players? My guess is that we got out-bid, along with other minor factors.

Bri's twitter bio says   @ontovictoryNIL Student Athlete.  Don't know what she was making.  Did see a tweet from an AU male athlete chastizing OTV for not promoting the women athletes...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Bri had a tweet about her sister supporting her even though she didn't know the garbage behind the scenes. Just made me wonder since she is now transferring. 

Assume you're referring to this tweet from Bri earlier today:

"Me crying watching all the videos of  @emilyellis77  screaming when I get hits. I have the best sister in the world. I wouldn’t be close to where I am today without her. She’s seen how ugly things get behind the scenes and she never fails to lift me up and keep my head high."

Really disheartening to see her earlier Instagram post mentioning 'outside hate' and this tweet.  Don't know where it's all coming from...social media, maybe?  I hope this isn't why she's leaving.  Doubt that social media will change wherever she goes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Assume you're referring to this tweet from Bri earlier today:

"Me crying watching all the videos of  @emilyellis77  screaming when I get hits. I have the best sister in the world. I wouldn’t be close to where I am today without her. She’s seen how ugly things get behind the scenes and she never fails to lift me up and keep my head high."

Really disheartening to see her earlier Instagram post mentioning 'outside hate' and this tweet.  Don't know where it's all coming from...social media, maybe?  I hope this isn't why she's leaving.  Doubt that social media will change wherever she goes.

That was the one. 

Also in regards to NIL, these athletes talk to each other. Softball especially talk being they all play together with travel ball and summer leagues.  So they know where the grass is likely greener

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Sort of a red flag when a talented freshman leaves a program that is not below average 

She just completed her sophomore year.  Your point is still relevant.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jad0003 said:

Denver Bryant in the portal.

Wow.  Awful news for AU softball fans.  Sounds like something is not right in the state of Denmark.  I hope Cohen will investigate (and fix) whatever is wrong.  

• Like 1

Phillip Marshall article says Ellis, Blaine, and Garcia have entered the portal as of 14 hours ago.... and I would suspect more will hit this week as well...