Softball Transfer Portal Thread

We’ve now lost 4 starters to the portal in the span of 2 days. I believe that is a culture problem. Blaine and Ellis live far away so i was thinking maybe they want to be closer to home, but Denver is like an hour and a half from Auburn. This is not right at all. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Big Fat Barner said:

We’ve now lost 4 starters to the portal in the span of 2 days. I believe that is a culture problem. Blaine and Ellis live far away so i was thinking maybe they want to be closer to home, but Denver is like an hour and a half from Auburn. This is not right at all. 

i agree and so do most AU fans that i know who follow softball somewhat closely.  however, i doubt (personal opinion only) that Cohen would come in guns a blazin and fire Dean right now.  i have mentioned this before, but a close friend of my youngest daughter is a very good HS softball player in Baldwin County and said she would NEVER consider AU as long as Dean is there.  FTR, she is leaning to Duke currently.

3 hours ago, JohnHenry said:

My bet is Bri will go to TA&M and Trisha Ford.  Bri will be missed.

Not a bad bet.  Highly regarded coach, most likely flush with NIL $$$, and closer to home. 

If Wiki is correct.   MD has been a head coach for 16 years and has been to 1 super regional and no WCWS.    Is that accurate?    Compare that to BT.    8 years, 3 super regionals, 2 CWS'. 

• Like 4

Just a comment regarding the possibility that the NIL may play into some of the decisions the players are making.  IF you contribute to On to Victory, softball specifically, may I suggest that you contact them.  I haven't seem them doing much support of the non-revenue sports and have read opinions that the lack  of NIL support may have cost us players in women's basketball.  I have no idea what the softball team is getting but I would guess that there are a number of schools that are way ahead of Auburn in NIL support of softball.  

• Like 1

I like how it seems to be a foregone conclusion within the fanbase that MD has been subpar, and within the general softball population as a whole that he should be avoided, and our players are actively fleeing the team in droves, but Cohen won't do anything because...? Perception? Cause that was the excuse for waiting to get rid of the Gus Bus and waiting did more damage than pulling the trigger would have. It's ok to fire people being paid $300K+ for consistent mediocre performances, especially when they've shown consistent problem areas they don't seem interested in addressing (hitting, team culture, etc).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I like how it seems to be a foregone conclusion within the fanbase that MD has been subpar, and within the general softball population as a whole that he should be avoided, and our players are actively fleeing the team in droves, but Cohen won't do anything because...? Perception? Cause that was the excuse for waiting to get rid of the Gus Bus and waiting did more damage than pulling the trigger would have. It's ok to fire people being paid $300K+ for consistent mediocre performances, especially when they've shown consistent problem areas they don't seem interested in addressing (hitting, team culture, etc).

oh i agree with you but us 50+ year olds are so accustomed to JABA, its hard to let go!

plus at this rate, who will transfer in to take these current girls places?  as has been stated, he doesn't seem to be well liked

Edited by TigerPAC
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TD1 said:

add Mccondichie to the list. That's 5 now 

Well at least it's gonna send a message to anyone willing to listen. I bet MD isn't one thats listening if I had to guess. Hope Cohen is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warladytigers said:

Just a comment regarding the possibility that the NIL may play into some of the decisions the players are making.  IF you contribute to On to Victory, softball specifically, may I suggest that you contact them.  I haven't seem them doing much support of the non-revenue sports and have read opinions that the lack  of NIL support may have cost us players in women's basketball.  I have no idea what the softball team is getting but I would guess that there are a number of schools that are way ahead of Auburn in NIL support of softball.  

The problem with this is that the more the program succeeds, the more money it will draw in. Dean has done nothing in six years, so donors will not cough up their money to encourage a mediocre program. 

58 minutes ago, Big Fat Barner said:

The problem with this is that the more the program succeeds, the more money it will draw in. Dean has done nothing in six years, so donors will not cough up their money to encourage a mediocre program. 

It's not fair to say that Dean has done nothing in six years. 

As has already been pointed out, the team finished 3rd in the SEC this year - behind only Tennessee and Georgia and ahead of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida and everybody else.  And while we didn't play Tennessee this year, we played South Carolina and Mississippi State at the end of the season when their injured players returned to action and both teams were playing really well.   After the SEC Tournament, Auburn was ranked 15th, 16th, 17th and 17th NATIONALLY in the 4 recognized softball polls.   Maddie Penta was named SEC Pitcher of the Week an unprecedented 4 times in 2023 and was also named SEC Pitcher of the Year.  In 2022, Bri Ellis was the SEC Freshman of the Year.  CMD has recruited well.  Attendance at the games is up as well.  Having said all of that, there seems to be broad agreement that Auburn has not lived up to its potential offensively and, at the very least, Lenti should be replaced as pitching coach.  NIL may be an issue.  And it's unclear whether there are wide-spread morale issues on the team that need to be addressed - but Cohen should find out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 3

On 5/22/2023 at 5:44 PM, Golden Eagle said:

I also read several months ago that Sydney Cox was unhappy with her lack of playing time after starting last year so wouldn't be surprised if she enters the portal.

She should stay... sounds like she's back in the starting lineup....

7 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

It's not fair to say that Dean has done nothing in six years. 

As has already been pointed out, the team finished 3rd in the SEC this year - behind only Tennessee and Georgia and ahead of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida and everybody else.  And while we didn't play Tennessee this year, we played South Carolina and Mississippi State at the end of the season when their injured players returned to action and both teams were playing really well.   After the SEC Tournament, Auburn was ranked 15th, 16th, 17th and 17th NATIONALLY in the 4 recognized softball polls.   Maddie Penta was named SEC Pitcher of the Week an unprecedented 4 times in 2023 and was also named SEC Pitcher of the Year.  In 2022, Bri Ellis was the SEC Freshman of the Year.  CMD has recruited well.  Attendance at the games is up as well.  Having said all of that, there seems to be broad agreement that Auburn has not lived up to its potential offensively and, at the very least, Lenti should be replaced as pitching coach.  NIL may be an issue.  And it's unclear whether there are wide-spread morale issues on the team that need to be addressed - but Cohen should find out.

Recruiting is one part of the coaching process. You also must hire a competent, achieving staff and find success in the postseason. I will credit Dean to his ability to recruit, but he is not a good head coach in my opinion. 9 of our 15 wins came from the bottom 4 of the SEC (Miss. State never played well, who are we kidding?). Attendance has been strong since Myers built up this program. Lenti is the hitting coach and I agree he should be replaced. Dean has had six years to make something of himself and of this program. Nothing team-wise to show for. Maddie Penta is an absolute stud and should be celebrated for her accomplishments, but what does it tell you when the sec pitcher of the year gets put out in regionals (for only the second time in history). And for Bri Ellis, the freshman of the year, she is transferring, so I think it is fair to invalidate that argument since she is likely moving on to a program that will have a much better coach and chance of competing for a national championship. I understand wanting to have faith in our head coach, but he had given zero reason to believe that this program is getting anywhere close to where we once stood.  

• Like 4

Has anyone heard anything about why Carlee wasn't playing as much towards the end of the season? Or why Denver didn't play the last couple of games?

1 hour ago, TD1 said:

Has anyone heard anything about why Carlee wasn't playing as much towards the end of the season? Or why Denver didn't play the last couple of games?

Roach was playing instead of McCondichie because she had the hot bat.  I think it was in the Alabama game where McCondichie hit the HR that the announcers said it was her first hit in her last 21 at bats or something like that.  I don't know why Bryant didn't play those last 2 games at Clemson - don't know if she wasn't feeling well or ???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TD1 said:

Carlee has long been one of my favorite players but as Golden Eagle stated, Roach seemed to be better option toward season end.  Carlee is a senior and Roach a sophomore.

During the Clemson broadcast, the announcers stated that Bryant was initially listed as starting but name pulled just prior to game time.  She was in dugout and out on the field a couple of times.  Made me wonder if some sort of discipline issue but I have not heard anything to that effect.  

As an aside, I wish the broadcasters and camera crew would not feature so much of the "antics" in the dugout as it seems to just encourage more of the same.  My interest in someone in a Viking head piece, stuffed toy or bubble machine begins to wane after the many repeats we get to see.  I want people to have fun but this curmudgeon gets tired of the excess exposure.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Carlee has long been one of my favorite players but as Golden Eagle stated, Roach seemed to be better option toward season end.  Carlee is a senior and Roach a sophomore.

During the Clemson broadcast, the announcers stated that Bryant was initially listed as starting but name pulled just prior to game time.  She was in dugout and out on the field a couple of times.  Made me wonder if some sort of discipline issue but I have not heard anything to that effect.  

As an aside, I wish the broadcasters and camera crew would not feature so much of the "antics" in the dugout as it seems to just encourage more of the same.  My interest in someone in a Viking head piece, stuffed toy or bubble machine begins to wane after the many repeats we get to see.  I want people to have fun but this curmudgeon gets tired of the excess exposure.  

The culture between softball and baseball greatly differs there, doesn't it? I played alot of baseball, and the first time I watched a college softball game and saw these antics I was shocked and a bit put off. I've since learned to accept some of it, but I'd be lying if I said some of the over the top stuff like viking team boat rowing on the dugout railing didn't still aggravate me a tad bit.

Edited by KansasTiger

Garcia and McCondiche are now graduates.  I don't consider grad transfers within numbers of transfer outs, IMO.  At least from a numbers standpoint. Still will miss their play.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

The culture between softball and baseball greatly differs there, doesn't it? I played alot of baseball, and the first time I watched a college softball game and saw these antics I was shocked and a bit put off. I've since learned to accept some of it, but I'd be lying if I said some of the over the top stuff like viking team boat rowing on the dugout railing didn't still aggravate me a tad bit.

I’m not a big fan of the extras that softball has but I have daughters and completely understand that’s simply who they are.  You gotta let the girls be who they are and have their fun.  It’s better for morale and team chemistry.

fwiw I’d beat my head through cinder block if I sat in those dugouts.

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to Softball Transfer Portal Thread
On 5/23/2023 at 9:40 AM, AU1947 said:

Pitching, Fielding, Hitting! Look at were our hitting landed us in the SEC..

Screenshot_20230523_093441_Chrome.jpg

Just a quick comparison:  Myers' 2017 team had a team BA of .277.  Also drew 328 walks compared to 238 walks for the 2023 team.  That's an extra 1.5 base runners per game.  They won 49 games compared to 43 for the 2023 team, went 17-7 in the SEC, and hosted a SR.  Of course, we had the recent history of two trips to OKC.  There was controversy over whether AU or OU should get the 8 seed.  It went to us, but OU came over and beat us two straight.  Oh, and the 2017 team had 51 homers compared to 64 for this year's team.  Make of all this what you will, merely presenting some points of interest.

• Thanks 3

I've never thought dean was a fit here, maybe I'm in  the minority on that. I was doing broadcasting during the myers era and it just felt so much different. But in todays day and age, u have 4-5 players entering the portal, that are good players,  there is a problem 

• Like 1