Future SEC Scheduling - 8 games vs 9 games

W.E.D

Vote is happening at the Summer meetings in Destin.  Apparently now Nick Saban/Alabama stand against it with some of the small schools (Ole Miss/MSU/Ark/Vandy/USC/Kentucky) whom want that extra cupcake win.

Feel like 9 games is pretty much dying.  SEC is going to destroy countless long standing rivalries.  Half the time we're going to miss out on huge annual games for the sake of money

• Love 1

I could see them kicking the can down the road like they did when A&M and Missouri joined, aka just throwing together a bridge schedule for two years with Texas in the west, Oklahoma in the east. 🤮 

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I could see them kicking the can down the road like they did when A&M and Missouri joined, aka just throwing together a bridge schedule for two years with Texas in the west, Oklahoma in the east. 🤮 

Think they are too far down the road of determining what the 4 year rotation of everyone playing everyone will be.

They see how dumb it is now when it takes 12 years to cycle through everyone 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Pods= 3 perms. + 6

No Pods= 1 perm. + 7

My personal choice is no pods with the 1+7. 

There are no Pods in either scenario 

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

1 + 7 scenario, I presume?

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

My guess is it's just Bama trying to get the league to give them MSU instead of LSU. Which, obviously, I completely understand.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

My guess is it's just Bama trying to get the league to give them MSU instead of LSU. Which, obviously, I completely understand.

Wow, Saban trying to avoid Auburn Tennessee and LSU when he already plays them every season as it is...someone needs to tell him but apparently everyone there is afraid to. 

• Like 1

Ol Nick can see all three suddenly get way better and be potentially losses. Any thing he can do to make their path easier to get to the playoffs 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DAG said:

I was just  saying divisions are gone no matter  what. Us, Ole Miss and and I think one other are undecided per a CBS article.  Could be Saban trying to drop LSU

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I was just  saying divisions are gone no matter  what. Us, Ole Miss and and I think one other are undecided per a CBS article.  Could be Saban trying to drop LSU

Yeah, I know,  but I am just wondering, they would do one permanent rival, with the revolving 8. We still will probably get stuck with UGA, and Bama would get UT-k I am sure. I feel like it will be an 8 game model until 2026 anyhow, as only we and 3 other schools have done the work to make it a 9 conference game schedule. 

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah, I know,  but I am just wondering, they would do one permanent rival, with the revolving 8. We still will probably get stuck with UGA, and Bama would get UT-k I am sure. I feel like it will be an 8 game model until 2026 anyhow, as only we and 3 other schools have done the work to make it a 9 conference game schedule. 

I'm confused. If we do 8 games (7+1), Bama will be our permanent and we'd drop UGA from our schedule 2 out of 4 years

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think there's any way the Iron Bowl or the WL Cocktail Party won't happen every year.

Saban is so used to everything being tilted in their favor that it seems unfair when it is level.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm confused. If we do 8 games (7+1), Bama will be our permanent and we'd drop UGA from our schedule 2 out of 4 years

Ahh yes you are probably more accurate.  Although I do think auburn should fight to keep UGA as the permanent . I imagine Alabama will want to UTk to be theirs 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ahh yes you are probably more accurate.  Although I do think auburn should fight to keep UGA as the permanent . I imagine Alabama will want to UTk to be theirs 

UT would get Vandy as a 1+7 permanent.

Yeah, 8 games/one permanent will destroy a lot of great annual games that are historic.

UT Bama

UT UF

UF LSU

LSU ARK (RIP the Boot)

Aggies vs Texas (what could have been)

Auburn UGA

Auburn LSU

Bama LSU

USC UGA 

• Like 2

Isn't the big reason being thrown around is all the non conference games already scheduled?  Maybe the SEC will put a moratorium on future non conference games for 2030 or whatever and say 9 games after that?

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Isn't the big reason being thrown around is all the non conference games already scheduled?  Maybe the SEC will put a moratorium on future non conference games for 2030 or whatever and say 9 games after that?

That's gotta be a BS excuse.  Bama can't pay off Eastern Illinois and Mercer? SEC couldn't help these schools get to a more logical schedule?

Teams would benefit from another SEC game. More people, higher tickets prices, etc from an SEC team vs G5 or FCS

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

That's gotta be a BS excuse.  Bama can't pay off Eastern Illinois and Mercer? SEC couldn't help these schools get to a more logical schedule?

Teams would benefit from another SEC game. More people, higher tickets prices, etc from an SEC team vs G5 or FCS

Talking more about the Power 5 teams already have scheduled.  The Cal, Baylor, UCLA, and Miami games for example.  I’m looking forward to the UCLA and Miami road trips.

It’s too hard to play 9 SEC games plus a team of this caliber per Nick Saban.  Miami should at least be loaded with 5*s by 2029.  

Edited by Win4AU

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Talking more about the Power 5 teams already have scheduled.  The Cal, Baylor, UCLA, and Miami games for example.  I’m looking forward to the UCLA and Miami road trips.

It’s too hard to play 9 SEC games plus a team of this caliber per Nick Saban.  Miami should at least be loaded with 5*s by 2029.  

Everyone will still play a P5 OOC team.

20 hours ago, W.E.D said:

There are no "divisions" in either scenario. In my 9 game 3+6 example, they have to use pods or the math doesn't work. The 8 game, 1+7, no divisions or no pods is the best option imo. It's also the easiest to implement and the fairest for everybody. So we play UGa every other year instead of every year, same for bama vs Tenn. We can live with it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

There are no "divisions" in either scenario. In my 9 game 3+6 example, they have to use pods or the math doesn't work. The 8 game, 1+7, no divisions or no pods is the best option imo. It's also the easiest to implement and the fairest for everybody. So we play UGa every other year instead of every year, same for bama vs Tenn. We can live with it. 

No. There are no division. No Pods. There is one conference standings in both scenarios.

We played every school, home or away over 4 years in both formats 

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No. There are no division. No Pods. There is one conference standings in both scenarios.

We played every school, home or away over 4 years in both formats 

That's what a pod is, you and your 3 permanent teams in the 3+6 scenario. The 3+6 has to use pods or the scheduling is impossible with 16 teams. It's obvious in the 1+7 there will be no pods. Divisions are gone for either the 8 or 9 game scenario.