Future SEC Scheduling - 8 games vs 9 games

W.E.D

11 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

That's what a pod is, you and your 3 permanent teams in the 3+6 scenario. The 3+6 has to use pods or the scheduling is impossible with 16 teams. It's obvious in the 1+7 there will be no pods. Divisions are gone for either the 8 or 9 game scenario.  

You don't play within your own pod as you 3 permanent. It is all mixed up. Everyone has 3 permanent opponents and it isn't lined up at all to 4 distinct groups.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football-picks/college-football-schedule-sec-teams-permanent-opponents

For example we play UGA, Bama, Vandy.

UGA playes UF, US, and Kentucky. 

The SEC/reporters have killed the Pod idea. It is either 1/7 or 3/6. One conference standings. No Pods or divisions

• Like 3

On 5/28/2023 at 4:06 PM, W.E.D said:

You don't play within your own pod as you 3 permanent. It is all mixed up. Everyone has 3 permanent opponents and it isn't lined up at all to 4 distinct groups.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football-picks/college-football-schedule-sec-teams-permanent-opponents

For example we play UGA, Bama, Vandy.

UGA playes UF, US, and Kentucky. 

The SEC/reporters have killed the Pod idea. It is either 1/7 or 3/6. One conference standings. No Pods or divisions

Ahh, so they're proposing the hybrid pod that's not a pod or as you say, the mixed up pods, lol. Yah, that would defeat the whole purpose which may be why someone pushed it, so they could kill it. Leave it to the SEC to make it as jumbled as possible. But it sounds like they're leaning more towards the 1+7 anyway which is a simple, fair concept and also my favorite. Thanks for the info.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Ahh, so they're proposing the hybrid pod that's not a pod or as you say, the mixed up pods, lol. Yah, that would defeat the whole purpose which may be why someone pushed it, so they could kill it. Leave it to the SEC to make it as jumbled as possible, lol. But it sounds like they're leaning more towards the 1+7 anyway which is  a simple and fair concept. It's also my favorite. Thanks for the info.

Pods has never been a high probability and never caught on.

For the last few months it has been two options. 1/7 or 3/6 and a single conference standings. They both achieve the same goal of paying everyone in a 4 year period 

• Like 2

Personally, I prefer going to a 9 game season for the SEC. Why?

First, strength of schedule. We are moving to a 12 team playoff system. Teams with a high SoS have a better chance of getting into the playoff mix even if they have a couple of losses because of stronger SoS.

Second, in terms of home attendance, schedules that include more home games vs SEC teams are more likely to fill the stands.

Finally, if we can keep our Iron Bowl and UGA Longest Rivalry in the South, this is not only pulling in our Auburn donor dollars, it is crazoid ESPN revenue for Auburn. As for games against cupcakes? Not so much.

I vote for the conference 9 game season. The Big10 is going that direction. Let's make sure the SEC keeps pace with ESPN $$$.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 12:11 AM, Tigger1985 said:

Ol Nick can see all three suddenly get way better and be potentially losses. Any thing he can do to make their path easier to get to the playoffs 

Going to a 12 team playoff made nick’s path infinitely easier.  With the cfp @ 4 teams, his team has missed it like twice.

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

40 minutes ago, toddc said:

Dumber contracts have been made. But I'm kinda shocked the TV deal doesn't specify number of SEC games. Sure ESPN will have rights to all games, but they will get better writing with 9 games than 8. It's more valuable to them. 

If it's not stated I get why ESPN is standing their ground.

That said a 1 year temp schedule is beyond stupid 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You had almost two damn years to figure this out. Great going, guys!

Sigh, they're just going to stick Texas in the west and Oklahoma in the east for the next two years--for all purposes except who plays in the SECC--aren't they?

That means our 2024 and 5 schedule will be:
Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi, MSU, Texas, TAMU 👎

I'd be ok if they put us and UAT in the east and Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas in the west. But that require more effort in giving everyone a "cross div" opponent. 🙄

Edited by AUwent

Something I read but never really thought about. How would this affect chances for playoffs. Would a three loss team be able to get in? Even if it’s a win against a lesser team out of conference; there’s just something about an extra “L” on your resume that makes you pause.

“There’s also the reality that it would mean one additional loss for eight teams each season.”

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

My guess is the retreat from 9 games and pods is due to the possibility of more teams joining the SEC in the future. With 9 games in a 1+8, you could get to an 18 team conference where you play every team twice (one home, one away) during 4 years.

• Like 1

Life and college football will go on whether we are playing UGA every year or not. There was a time when there were no bigger games in CFB than OU vs Nebraska and Texas vs Texas A&M. There was huge uproar and hand wringing over those games going away, but everyone moved on and if the same happens to AU and UGA we will move on too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

An absurd click-bait tweet & near zero change AU/UGA will continue to play as a "non-conference" opponent. 

What's more....The idea of we're not going to be playing big games w/out UGA on our schedule when every year 50% of our SEC slate will contain Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, +Bama or Florida, UGA, UT, +Bama. Just a really really dumb take.

I don't want to drop the UGA game, but the idea that we'll no longer player "big games" is really really stupid

lol in the twitter comments JLee was trying to argue with someone that Clemson playing a weak schedule and winning multiple titles didn't do them any good since a few SEC teams still out recruit them because top recruits want to go to teams that play big games. 

Like.... Since Clemson came to national prominence they bring in top 10 recruiting classes every year. (better than AU with all our "Big" games), and playing for conference/national titles and playoff games certainly qualifies as "Big games" to me. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

lol in the twitter comments JLee was trying to argue with someone that Clemson playing a weak schedule and winning multiple titles didn't do them any good since a few SEC teams still out recruit them because top recruits want to go to teams that play big games. 

Like.... Since Clemson came to national prominence they bring in top 10 recruiting classes every year. (better than AU with all our "Big" games), and playing for conference/national titles and playoff games certainly qualifies as "Big games" to me. 

Some of the nations top recruits the past few years have enjoyed watching AU play in monster games at Jordan-Hare vs the likes of Bama, UGA, LSU, and Clemson. Right before they signed with one of those schools instead. Top recruits want to win championships and make a fortune in the league. Sentimental attachments to rivalry games is for fans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

Thanks for the update. It looks like Ole Nick won the debate again. I am not sure I like this. I am sure we won't just have eight "general" opponents.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thanks for the update. It looks like Ole Nick won the debate again. I am not sure I like this. I am sure we won't just have eight "general" opponents.  

Yeah, it leaves a lot of room for complaining and angry fans. No real structure. I'm sure we get Bama and UGA, which is fine with me. Rest of the schedule better compensate. 

Sounds like this is only for 2024 though. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Weak decision by the SEC. 

2024 is going to be a complete mess. 

Yup.  Solely bc of money. They have no plan after 2024. Just winging it for a year. Dumb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SEC Network and ESPN gonna milk that announcement the next 2 weeks.  Probably part of the deal.  They get 2 possibly 3 season reveals.  Wonder how much will leak before hand?  

As far as Justin Lee goes he should know the coach makes the program top 15.  Which top 15 program doesn’t have a dynamic coach who recruits at a high level?  (I’m sure someone will name one).  So far it appears the recruiting part is going decent for Hugh.  

Personally I’m kind of excited about the opportunity to see Auburn play a lot of different teams and visit a lot of different stadiums.  Austin and Norman will be cool to check out.  Maybe now isn’t a terrible time not to play UGA every year?  Hopefully we’d be playing them at some point in the postseason.  

• Like 2

Before clicking on that dude's twitter profile, I knew he was another random Big Ten blogger.  For years no matter where on the interwebs, all they and their fans do is whine about SEC scheduling.

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Life and college football will go on whether we are playing UGA every year or not. There was a time when there were no bigger games in CFB than OU vs Nebraska and Texas vs Texas A&M. There was huge uproar and hand wringing over those games going away, but everyone moved on and if the same happens to AU and UGA we will move on too. 

That may be true, but there are still thousands of CFB purists out there like myself that recognizes the sport has forfeited almost sacred traditions for a cheap buck.

CFB is a lot like MLB. History along with the actual contest are products they sell. CFB is not the NFL and ESPN is going to find that out the hard way if they keep trying to mimic it. There's only one League. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, woodford said:

That may be true, but there are still thousands of CFB purists out there like myself that recognizes the sport has forfeited almost sacred traditions for a cheap buck.

I completely agree with you. I’ve just realized that the wheels for all of this has been in motion for years now and these changes are inevitable.

FWIW, the exact same thing is going on with my employer. They keep us in a constant state of change under the guise of evolving with the market. But when change becomes perpetual, it’s no longer change. It’s chaos. That’s where I feel CFB is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

CFB is a lot like MLB. History along with the actual contest are products they sell. CFB is not the NFL and ESPN is going to find that out the hard way if they keep trying to mimic it. There's only one League. 

I don't agree with everything you said here. But I completely agree it's important to keep some of the traditions intact. It's obvious some of us have ties to Auburn football based on our upbringing. And certain games are important to us because we grew up watching them every single year. 

I'm thinking of the Auburn Georgia game. It won't feel right to me if we have a season without that game.

Plus, we owe them. It was even very recently and now they've taken control. If we want to get back on top, let's beat them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1