Future SEC Scheduling - 8 games vs 9 games

W.E.D

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Plus, we owe them. It was even very recently and now they've taken control. If we want to get back on top, let's beat them. 

Luckily we don't necessarily have to beat them to "get back on top" with a 12 team playoff. It's just hard to see Georgia coming down from their current level for at least another decade. I'm completely over that rivalry.

Edited by AUwent

On 5/27/2023 at 6:35 PM, AUwent said:

My guess is it's just Bama trying to get the league to give them MSU instead of LSU. Which, obviously, I completely understand.

BINGO! Saban wants to drop Tenn or LSU...particularly LSU as you've stated for an easier opponent. My first choice would be the 3 - 6 model. What makes the SEC the best is the rivalries. Plus with 3 - 6 we'd get to visit every stadium in the SEC and it doesn't take 10 years to do so. When was the last time UGA played at Texas A&M? When was the last time Florida played at Auburn? Bama traveled to UGA? 

What's the point of delaying going to 9? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

BINGO! Saban wants to drop Tenn or LSU...particularly LSU as you've stated for an easier opponent. My first choice would be the 3 - 6 model. What makes the SEC the best is the rivalries. Plus with 3 - 6 we'd get to visit every stadium in the SEC and it doesn't take 10 years to do so. When was the last time UGA played at Texas A&M? When was the last time Florida played at Auburn? Bama traveled to UGA? 

Money 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm with you in preferring the 3-6 format, but as was stated earlier, the delay is figuring out the cash, and that will ultimately make the decision for 8 games versus 9.  Always follow the green. 

Georgia has yet to travel to College Station (ever, actually, not just since A&M joined the conference).  They've only played once since the 2012 expansion.  2024 was supposed to be Georgia's first trip there, but that's up in the air now.  A&M has yet to play at Kentucky since expansion.

Last visit to Jordan-Hare from the Gators? 2011.  Auburn-Florida is another one that has only been played once since 2012 expansion.  After this season, we will have played Florida twice in the last 16 years.

8 conference games in a league with 16 teams in it just doesn't make sense...seems like there would be a reasonably high chance of having more than two teams sharing the best league record, especially with no divisional play.

22 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

I'm with you in preferring the 3-6 format, but as was stated earlier, the delay is figuring out the cash, and that will ultimately make the decision for 8 games versus 9.  Always follow the green. 

Georgia has yet to travel to College Station (ever, actually, not just since A&M joined the conference).  They've only played once since the 2012 expansion.  2024 was supposed to be Georgia's first trip there, but that's up in the air now.  A&M has yet to play at Kentucky since expansion.

Last visit to Jordan-Hare from the Gators? 2011.  Auburn-Florida is another one that has only been played once since 2012 expansion.  After this season, we will have played Florida twice in the last 16 years.

8 conference games in a league with 16 teams in it just doesn't make sense...seems like there would be a reasonably high chance of having more than two teams sharing the best league record, especially with no divisional play.

Just an FYI, 8 games or 9, everyone will play everyone home/away over a 4 year period 

I too prefer 3/6. Keeps every traditional rivalry intact 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 3

I'm excited to travel down to Gainesville.  I thankfully didn't make it in 2019 for that mess.  I haven't been since 2002.  Its such a unique stadium. 

We need a Florida game and soon. My best Auburn memories come from Tubs led teams breaking their hearts. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

We need a Florida game and soon. My best Auburn memories come from Tubs led teams breaking their hearts. 

Especially to smack around Billy who seems way deep over his head

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Especially to smack around Billy who seems way deep over his head

He is working on a pretty elite recruiting class...can he keep it together through this season is the question.

Seems like everyone has a different story on what happened between him and us, BTW. As someone who wanted him bad, it would be very comforting to see him fall flat.

Edited by AUwent

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

He is working on a pretty elite recruiting class...can he keep it together through this season is the question.

Seems like everyone has a different story on what happened between him and us, BTW. As someone who wanted him bad, it would be very comforting to see him fall flat.

Yeah everyone says that. But we'll see what they end up with when they go back to back 6-6 or 5-7

3 hours ago, DAG said:

And Bowden beat them a time or two. Me and my grammar school aged son were undefeated at home against UF for awhile. All you Dads enjoy the time spent with your little guys. They are over much too quickly , but they make great memories!

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Why in the world did Auburn's contingent vote for the 8 game format and not 9 SEC games?  Why would we not vote polar opposite of uat?

• Like 1

My guess is all the 8-stayers wish to continue milk the guaranteed cash cow of home game revenue from one of 3 non-conference cupcake games.

1 hour ago, Dom1ni0n said:

My guess is all the 8-stayers wish to continue milk the guaranteed cash cow of home game revenue from one of 3 non-conference cupcake games.

Any school would make more money if they replaced a direction school they are paying $1mm to come to them with say Oklahoma or Florida or even South Carolina.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Any school would make more money if they replaced a direction school they are paying $1mm to come to them with say Oklahoma or Florida or even South Carolina.

If it's not revenue related then these ADs fear a potential L from an extra and potentially tougher conference opponent that rolls on their schedule, and a missed opportunity at an NYD bowl or playoffs.

That's all I got.  Otherwise as Jerry stated, doesn't make sense for AU, Ark or anyone else to cosign with Bama on this.

Edited by Dom1ni0n

17 minutes ago, Dom1ni0n said:

If it's not revenue related then these ADs fear a potential L from an extra and potentially tougher conference opponent that rolls on their schedule, and a missed opportunity at an NYD bowl or playoffs.

That's all I got.  Otherwise as Jerry stated, doesn't make sense for AU, Ark or anyone else to cosign with Bama on this.

Some definitely are fearing losing an automatic win and potential bowl eligibility. They'd probably be for it if ESPN kicked in more $$

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

I think I'd prefer 8 games at this point. The SEC will adjust accordingly to the Playoff committee. 

College football has become so stupid. I don't think these institutions and organizations can handle such sudden and rapid changes. Don't think anyone can.

• Like 2

This current vote is for 1 season. 

Once Texas & Oklahoma join the conference, there will be another vote and very likely a major renegotiation of the ESPN/Disney contract going forward.  

ALSO - Who knows if Auburn had representatives in DC yesterday to meet with legislators on NIL?  I saw where LSU & UAT had their AD & HC's in attendance with Sankey.  I didn't notice Freeze or Cohen.  :dunno: 

Lobbying for NIL 🤣 we're on the verge of total economic collapse and nuclear war, but glad these hard-working congressmen have time to meet about the Name, Image, and Likeness issues of college athletics.

You have the laugh to keep from crying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Lobbying for NIL 🤣 we're on the verge of total economic collapse and nuclear war, but glad these hard-working congressmen have time to meet about the Name, Image, and Likeness issues of college athletics.

You have the laugh to keep from crying.

Did Freeze or Cohen go to DC with Sankey?

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

This current vote is for 1 season. 

Once Texas & Oklahoma join the conference, there will be another vote and very likely a major renegotiation of the ESPN/Disney contract going forward.  

TX & OU are already included in the TV deal that starts the same year they join.  Disney already gets all games, they've just balked at paying more for 8 extra SEC games replacing 8 games vs a directional school.  

It is what it is at this point. I am sure we will go to a 9 game schedule once we get all the TV contracts worked out. Not going to complain about it. Excited to see what Texas and OU has to offer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Did Freeze or Cohen go to DC with Sankey?

We had plenty of representation in Washington.