Thompson previews regional opponents

Butch Thompson previews Auburn’s regional opponents

Daniel Locke

2–3 minutes

For the first time in program history, the Auburn Tigers will be hosting a regional for the second straight season.

In an article from 247Sports written by Jason Caldwell, statements from Butch Thompson regarding the Tiger’s slate of opponents and what this means for the program and community as a whole are included.

“I guess the biggest takeaway is the first time in our program history for Auburn baseball to host back-to-back Regionals at Plainsman Park is a big, big deal and a credit to our assistant coaches, all of our staff and these amazing players that have brought consistency to the program,” coach Butch Thompson said on Monday. “Last year was pretty special here and to be able to do it again, I’m looking forward to it.”

Thompson also highlighted participants competing in the Auburn Regional… Southern Miss, Samford, and Penn:

“A Penn team that’s won eight straight and just absolutely dominated their region,” Thompson said about facing the Ivy League champs. “Southern Miss and Scott Berry announcing his retirement. Coach Oz gets the opportunity to lead that program. I know Southern Miss, how they want to go out after another great season. And then Samford, a team that won three games in one day to get the automatic qualifier. I’m very well aware.”

Auburn will have its work cut out for them but are more than capable of advancing to take on the winner of the Clemson Regional and making some noise in the NCAA Tournament once again, which could turn into another College World Series appearance.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Daniel on Twitter @DanielJLocke

More Baseball!

Meet this season's Auburn Regional participants

History! Auburn baseball becomes regional host for second consecutive season

Auburn baseball postseason update ahead of selection Monday

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Thompson previews regional opponents