2023 JuCo DB Champ Anthony Commits To AU!

toddc

Would be a 2023 enrollee.

Auburn lands commitment from JUCO DB Chancellor 'Champ' Anthony

The JUCO defensive back will report to Auburn this summer ahead of the season.

Christian Clemente3 mins

A little more help is on the way for the 2023 season.

Chancellor 'Champ' Anthony, a JUCO defensive back from Tyler (Tx.), has announced his commitment to Auburn. It comes shortly after Auburn brought him in for an official visit.

"It was the coaches and the environment," Anthony said. "You can’t beat playing in the SEC, every kid dreams of playing in the SEC. Going from JUCO to playing in the SEC, that’s not heard of, it’s not regular. I had to take this opportunity to play in the SEC and play along with some great coaches. Hugh Freeze, knowing he’s going to turn this program around. I’ve seen his lineage. It was a great opportunity for him to fit in, right opportunity for me to come in and play and I know I can make an impact."

Out of Tyler (Tx.) junior college, Anthony had 14 tackles, two pass breakups and an interception in four games as a freshman. He's listed at 6-foot-1 and 176 pounds. After Auburn opted not to take New Mexico State transfer Syrus Dumas, the staff had still been in search of trying to add one more defensive back to the room ahead of the 2023 season. 

Anthony has signed and will enroll at Auburn "sometime in the next couple of weeks."

"It’s going to be family here, they’re great coaches and great people, I can feel it," Anthony said. "Not only do they care about football but they care about me, that’s really important because I care about football enough for myself and so being away from my hometown, coming to Alabama, it’s going to be a little different. Being somewhere where I feel like I can trust these people, that’s very important to me."

He has four years to play three and is expected to be a versatile player for Auburn in the secondary.

"As I said I can play all five, so it’s really wherever coaches need me at the time," Anthony said. "Day-by-day, week-by-week, wherever they need me that’s where I’m going to play."

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Would be a 2023 enrollee.

Is his height accurate ?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Is his height accurate ?

I'm sure it is.  Freeze has found his tape measure. Couple of players had it and were measuring body parts.😀

• Haha 2

Took the posts on him & created a thread. Per Cole Pinkston of On3 Champ is expected to commit to AU soon. He is an OV to AU right now. He has 3 years of eligibility & supposedly can play all DB positions for AU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 JuCo DB Champ Anthony

So we dropped the other guy bc we're at 85, but now we're taking another?

Of was it realization of height that ruled over Hugh seeing what he could do in person and thr 85 was BS?

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So we dropped the other guy bc we're at 85, but now we're taking another?

Of was it realization of height that ruled over Hugh seeing what he could do in person and thr 85 was BS?

Possible because one of our commitments still not on campus and grades may be a problem. 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, toddc said:

Possible because one of our commitments still not on campus and grades may be a problem. 

Yup. Sorey has not qualified & AU staff not confident he will qualify per JLee. JLee also said that was a facor in us taking so many transfer WRs. Travis also hasn't qualified but is expected to. In regards to Ckam Anthony, we may be taking him as a best available.

@Sizzle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup. Sorey has not qualified & AU staff not confident he will qualify per JLee. JLee also said that was a facor in us taking so many transfer WRs. Travis also hasn't qualified but is expected to. In regards to Ckam Anthony, we may be taking him as a best available.

@Sizzle

Where's he play?

Commit watch this weekend for sure!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Where you are located. lol

Ed Zachary!  There's a ton of talent that goes through here.  

Cool note...Jimmy Butler played at the same JUCO

• Like 2

• Like 1

Decision coming soon for JUCO defensive back

made his first trip to the state of Alabama over the weekend.

The JUCO defensive back was in Auburn for an official visit, as the versatile prospect searches for a new home. Overall, the visit went well.

“Loved the visit, I love the coaches, I love the people around," Anthony said. "I love the facilities, of course. I’ve never seen nothing like it. It had stuff that I’ve never even thought of. It was a great experience, I just really loved it."

Champ Anthony visited Auburn officially over the weekend. (Caleb Jones | AuburnSports.com)

Former JUCO defensive back Keionte Scott served as Anthony's player host, while Anthony also familiarized himself with Auburn's coaching staff. Specifically, he spent time with secondary coaches Wesley McGriff and Zac Etheridge.

"Coach Crime [McGriff], that’s a character right there, I’m not gonna lie," Anthony said. "Coach Crime, Coach [Etheridge], I love those guys, I feel like I’ve known them for a minute. Feel like I’ve known them for a long time."

Anthony feels comfortable at all five positions in the secondary and could have a decision at some point in the near future.

."We might have some news for you soon," Anthony said.

• toddc changed the title to 2023 JuCo DB Champ Anthony Commits to Auburn

Story added to OP!

Nice depth piece. He’ll probably be a special teams ace his first year but maybe he’ll compete for some slot minutes too