Baseball NIL update

Some of you here seem to have an interest in our NIL efforts for baseball so I have an update.    When we played (and beat) LSU, before the Saturday game about 100 fans showed up for an NIL briefing.    I was 1 of the hundred.    That was about 4 weeks go, so I'm a little rusty.   What they said that night was that in any given year Coach Thompson wanted to be able to make sure every player on the roster had the equivalent of a full scholarship (see Golden Eagle's discussion in the Host thread about the NCAA 11.7 scholarship limit) i.e. that our players didn't have to pay out of pocket to come play baseball at Auburn.   I believe the number they gave us to reach that goal was $1.2MM/year.    That night they said we were about $550,000 away from meeting the goal for next year.   They also said only 12 people had written checks to baseball.   I got updated numbers last night and it is good news.   Right now we are just $250,000 away from our goal.    So, $300,000 has come in in just the past 4 weeks.   Coach Thompson gave an awesome speech that night, and it obviously moved some folks.   I wish all of you could have heard it.   Also, thanks to those on here that have donated!!!!!  It means everything.

• Thanks 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Some of you here seem to have an interest in our NIL efforts for baseball so I have an update.    When we played (and beat) LSU, before the Saturday game about 100 fans showed up for an NIL briefing.    I was 1 of the hundred.    That was about 4 weeks go, so I'm a little rusty.   What they said that night was that in any given year Coach Thompson wanted to be able to make sure every player on the roster had the equivalent of a full scholarship (see Golden Eagle's discussion in the Host thread about the NCAA 11.7 scholarship limit) i.e. that our players didn't have to pay out of pocket to come play baseball at Auburn.   I believe the number they gave us to reach that goal was $1.2MM/year.    That night they said we were about $550,000 away from meeting the goal for next year.   They also said only 12 people had written checks to baseball.   I got updated numbers last night and it is good news.   Right now we are just $250,000 away from our goal.    So, $300,000 has come in in just the past 4 weeks.   Coach Thompson gave an awesome speech that night, and it obviously moved some folks.   I wish all of you could have heard it.   Also, thanks to those on here that have donated!!!!!  It means everything.

This is exciting to hear. While I do contribute to OTV, this news has inspired me to send something specific for baseball. Thanks for taking time to share this and for educating us on the process. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Thanks for keeping us updated - very good news!  I don't think most AU supporters are aware of the 11.7 scholarship limit for baseball and softball (and possibly other sports).  And, most AU supporters (including me) are not in a position to write big checks to OTV.   But I think a lot of people would be willing to make smaller donations if they understood the issue and Butch's goal to just raise enough baseball NIL to offset the cost to his players of attending Auburn.  You have done a good job of spreading the word on this forum.  Wondering if Auburn Baseball twitter and maybe the Alumni Association would be willing to push an article explaining the situation and requesting donations - with a link to OTV - to their followers/members.  Thoughts?

Edited by Golden Eagle
Corrected typo
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

This is exciting to hear. While I do contribute to OTV, this news has inspired me to send something specific for baseball. Thanks for taking time to share this and for educating us on the process. 

I cant thank you enough Gwebb.   We are on the cusp.....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Thanks for keeping us updated - very good news!  I don't think most AU supporters are aware of the 11.7 scholarship limit for baseball and softball (and possibly other sports).  And, most AU supporters (including me) are not in a position to write big checks to OTV.   But I think a lot of people would be willing to make smaller donations if they understood the issue and Butch's goal to just raise enough baseball NIL to offset the cost to his players of attending Auburn.  You have done a good job of spreading the word on this forum.  Wondering if Auburn Baseball twitter and maybe the Alumni Association would be willing to push an article explaining the situation and requesting donations - with a link to OTV - to their followers/members.  Thoughts?

Golden you clearly see the scholly limit issue.  As for NIL we don't need grand slams.   We just need a bunch of bunt singles.   Jimmy and Walt have written grand slam checks so if we can just get 500, 1,000, 1,500  people writing bunt single checks we can dominate this sport.   We have the best staff in the SEC!!!!

• Like 1

Some may legit ask what does dominating this sport look like.   Here is what it looks like.   Casey Mike went undrafted out of high school. Literally no one wanted him.      Butch brought him to AU and worked on his stuff.  3 years later HE GOES NUMBER 1 IN THE DRAFT.   Not 2, not 3, numero ones.     That has never happened before.   These coaches can develop talent.    If we just give them a base of talent, the sky is the limit.   Some men are horse whispers...   Butch is a baseball whisperer.

On 6/6/2023 at 5:13 PM, LPTiger said:

What they said that night was that in any given year Coach Thompson wanted to be able to make sure every player on the roster had the equivalent of a full scholarship (see Golden Eagle's discussion in the Host thread about the NCAA 11.7 scholarship limit) i.e. that our players didn't have to pay out of pocket to come play baseball at Auburn.   I believe the number they gave us to reach that goal was $1.2MM/year.

This is what I think the NIL should be about.  First, get every scholarship athlete at AU on an equal footing with those who are getting the full ride. After that, if there's any left over we can see about buying some super star football and basketball players.

Anyway, that's how I'm going to do it when I'm named Emperor of the Universe! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1