Auburn Flashback - 2010 SEC Champ Game

StatTiger

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

And then after the NC he lost 37 total players, his damn mind and found his ego.

FIFY

I remember my feeling during most of the 2010 second half was, how is Oregon still within striking distance on the scoreboard? Took our freaky not-down RB play & last second fieldgoal to win. smh. Of course 2013's unrepeatable natl title game turn of events trumped any 2010 head scratchers.

8 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I remember my feeling during most of the 2010 second half was, how is Oregon still within striking distance on the scoreboard? Took our freaky not-down RB play & last second fieldgoal to win. smh. Of course 2013's unrepeatable natl title game turn of events trumped any 2010 head scratchers.

Auburn always toys with snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Unfortunately we succeed way too often. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

If AU and Oregon had played a week or two after the SECCG, the score would have been close to 42-38. 

The excessive time off gave both defenses ample time to scout the offenses. And gave the offenses time to cool off and make self-inflicting turnovers and mistakes.

Darvin Adams dropping a routine Darvin Adams catch on 3rd down & 18 the 1st drive, which would have been huge inside the Oregon 35.

Oregon QB Darron Thomas throwing it right to Demond Washington on their 2nd drive.

Two plays later, Cam throws an un-Cam like INT in Oregon territory right to the CB, Cliff Harris.

Oregon QB Darron Thomas throwing it right to Zac Etheridge deep inside AU territory.

Cam threw out and away from a wide open Eric Smith on 4th & G at the 1. Regular season Cam makes that throw with his eyes closed.

LaMichael James got stuffed for a safety two plays later.

Kenjon Barner getting stuffed on 4th & G at the 1.

Cam lost a fumble, which he rarely did, setting up Oregon’s game-tying TD.

Cam couldn’t do what he did best… run. Just 2.9 yards per rush with a total of 64 yards on the ground.

Oregon’s #1 run offense in the Nation couldn’t do what they did best… run. Just 2.3 yards per rush with a total of 75 yards on the ground.

Defenses held their own, but turnovers & poorly-timed mistakes for both teams ruled the game.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Viper said:

If AU and Oregon had played a week or two after the SECCG, the score would have been close to 42-38. 

The excessive time off gave both defenses ample time to scout the offenses. And gave the offenses time to cool off and make self-inflicting turnovers and mistakes.

Darvin Adams dropping a routine Darvin Adams catch on 3rd down & 18 the 1st drive, which would have been huge inside the Oregon 35.

Oregon QB Darron Thomas throwing it right to Demond Washington on their 2nd drive.

Two plays later, Cam throws an un-Cam like INT in Oregon territory right to the CB, Cliff Harris.

Oregon QB Darron Thomas throwing it right to Zac Etheridge deep inside AU territory.

Cam threw out and away from a wide open Eric Smith on 4th & G at the 1. Regular season Cam makes that throw with his eyes closed.

LaMichael James got stuffed for a safety two plays later.

Kenjon Barner getting stuffed on 4th & G at the 1.

Cam lost a fumble, which he rarely did, setting up Oregon’s game-tying TD.

Cam couldn’t do what he did best… run. Just 2.9 yards per rush with a total of 64 yards on the ground.

Oregon’s #1 run offense in the Nation couldn’t do what they did best… run. Just 2.3 yards per rush with a total of 75 yards on the ground.

Defenses held their own, but turnovers & poorly-timed mistakes for both teams ruled the game.

In a four team playoff that year, Oregon would have faced TCU and we would've faced Wisconsin or Stanford (Oklahoma may have had an argument based on SoS).

I go back and forth on how much credit the OL deserves for that year. NFL experience is the #1 factor to most people (and it's hard to argue with that), but I don't think we win the NC without them.

Edited by AUwent

31 minutes ago, AUwent said:

In a four team playoff that year, Oregon would have faced TCU and we would've faced Wisconsin or Stanford (Oklahoma may have had an argument based on SoS).

I go back and forth on how much credit the OL deserves for that year. NFL experience is the #1 factor to most people (and it's hard to argue with that), but I don't think we win the NC without them.

No one thanked that O-Line more than Cam did. Their experience was a big factor on why Cam signed with AU.

Conversely, the loss of that O-Line was a big factor on why Russell Wilson didn’t sign with AU in 2011.

AU/Cam vs Stanford/Andrew Luck would have been fun to watch. Glad we only had to beat Oregon. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Viper said:

No one thanked that O-Line more than Cam did. Their experience was a big factor on why Cam signed with AU.

Conversely, the loss of that O-Line was a big factor on why Russell Wilson didn’t sign with AU in 2011.

AU/Cam vs Stanford/Andrew Luck would have been fun to watch. Glad we only had to beat Oregon. 

Doesn't mean he was necessarily a very good coach but CGC really needed the TP in 2011/12. Conversely, if the TP didn't exist now, I don't think a bowl this year would even be a possibility.

Edited by AUwent

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Doesn't mean he was necessarily a very good coach but CGC may have really benefitted from the TP.

Def needed the transfer portal after the butchering of the roster post-2010. I still consider the 2011 season a bloody miracle we won 8 games. The Utah St game told us that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

Def needed the transfer portal after the butchering of the roster post-2010. I still consider the 2011 season a bloody miracle we won 8 games. The Utah St game told us that. 

Heck, there's a remote possibility that without said butchering, Dyer doesn't go bad--he very likely knew how badly we needed him--which in turn prevents the outbreak of disciplinary issues we had.

Both Tubs and Chizik deserve lots of credit for the NC and lots of blame for the collapse that followed.

Edited by AUwent

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Heck, there's a remote possibility that without said butchering, Dyer doesn't go bad--he very likely knew how badly we needed him--which in turn prevents the outbreak of arrests we had.

Both Tubs and Chizik deserve credit for the NC and blame for the collapse that followed.

I felt we no longer needed Dyer after 2011. 2012 was going to be a disaster with or without Dyer. No way he would have stayed for 2013. It allowed Tre Mason a warm-up season for 2013. Mason was a FAR better RB than Dyer.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 12:19 PM, gr82be said:

Auburn always toys with snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Unfortunately we succeed way too often. 

i agree. i am surprised the wrath of the board has not come down on you. you must be a purty big ol boy. grins

On 6/13/2023 at 5:03 PM, Viper said:

I felt we no longer needed Dyer after 2011. 2012 was going to be a disaster with or without Dyer. No way he would have stayed for 2013. It allowed Tre Mason a warm-up season for 2013. Mason was a FAR better RB than Dyer.

have you heard anything on Mason? I hope he got his mind right. he was a monster that was always going to get that first down. i wish him well.

On 6/13/2023 at 3:38 PM, AUwent said:

I say the OL that year deserves a TON of credit.  That is one of the best O lines in AU history.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I say the OL that year deserves a TON of credit.  That is one of the best O lines in AU history.

The point being, they usually don't receive any.