Does this prove the Bammers committed academic fra

I got this quote from the Memphis Commercial Appeal. According to Lynn Lang, Albert Means cjheated on his ACT test to get into school at Bammer. I wonder why this was never investigatedf by the NCAA. Cheating on your ACT test seems like academic fraud to me.

Here is the link to the entire article.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/sports...4612892,00.html

Getting someone to take Means's ACT was simple.

"We had a student get a slip stamped by a counselor at Trezevant, and he went to West Memphis and took the test," Lang said. "That's how we did that. That was easy."

Lang said the student - Trezevant Class of 1998 product and former Golden Bear running back Carl Cunningham - was paid, "about $30" to do it. He added it was necessary because it took Means 15 attempts to pass the TCAP.

Here is another story about the Bammers helping players cheat on their ACT test while Mike DuBose was the coach. Of course, the Bammers never went on probation for this. I believe the Bammers helping players cheat on their ACT test was swept under the rug by the NCAA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...vestigation_ap/

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- The NCAA investigation of Alabama's football program includes an inquiry into whether football recruiting coordinator Ronnie Cottrell helped a Florida recruit find someone to take his college-entrance exam, a newspaper reported Wednesday.

The report in the Birmingham News, which cites a Florida school official, comes a day after published reports that the probe involving recruitment of former player Albert Means was expanded to include the Florida player and a player from Arkansas.

Cottrell said he couldn't comment and referred questions to Alabama officials.

Alabama officials are working jointly with the NCAA to investigate the recruitment of Florida High player Michael Gaines of Tallahassee and Osceola (Ark.) High School running back Harold James Jr.

Alabama officials traveled to Osceola High last week to ask questions about James' college-entrance tests and $200,000 that Alabama booster Logan Young donated to the school, said Principal Doug Caldwell. Osceola is Logan's home town.

Alabama officials said Wednesday that investigators are looking far beyond Memphis, where allegations surfaced that a high-school coach took $200,000 to steer Means, a defensive lineman, to Alabama.

In Florida, Teresa Yancey, Gaines' guidance counselor, told the Birmingham News that NCAA and Southeastern Conference investigators questioned Tallahassee high school officials last year about Gaines.

Investigators visited Florida State University School, known as Florida High, to ask whether Cottrell helped Gaines find someone to take his ACT exam, Yancey said. The test is used to determine a student athlete's eligibility.

Investigators also asked whether Cottrell spoke to or visited Gaines outside the NCAA's appointed period for contacts with recruits, Yancey said.

Yancey said she told investigators she knew of no problems with Gaines' ACT tests and couldn't remember when Cottrell contacted Gaines.

After investigators asked about Cottrell, Yancey said she contacted Gaines to ask whether Cottrell had any role in his test-taking.

"I flat-out asked Michael and he said no," she told the paper. "He swore up and down that the University of Alabama had nothing to do with his test-taking."

Yancey said Alabama officials reported concerns about Gaines' eligibility to the NCAA, which led to the visits to the high school.

Alabama signed Gaines in January 1999, but he could not enroll because his final ACT results were not available. Former head coach Mike DuBose said then that he hoped to sign Gaines again in 2000.

Gaines, however, enrolled at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. Attempts to reach him for comment Wednesday were unsuccessful.

I think it proves, that among other things, we cheated and payed for a recruit. And I'm guessing that $30.00 to pay the Cal player(who also wasn't penalized, which you failed to mention) to take the test probably came from the $200,000 that we were busted for.

BUT, if you feel like the NCAA missed this one and needs to be notified of it, by all means, shoot them an email. I'm certain you wouldn't be wasting your time.

It says that the NCAA investigated it, so I am going to assume that they were cleared of all of this. By what I know about how the ACT exams are given, I was an exam proctor for a year, it would be very tough to cheat once on and ACT, much less as many times as this suggests. You would have to know an exam proctor and have them in on the operation. But, there is no guarantee a student would get a certain proctor. Where I was a proctor at, there were several different groups taking the test on that day and the ACT administration's computer just randomly puts a student in one of the several groups to be tested, so where I was at, it would be impossible to make sure a student was overseen by particuar proctor. I guess it could be pulled off if it was taken in a more rural area where maybe when the test is given out there was only one group on test day which meant it was always the same proctor. That person would just overlook the ID of the substitute test taker.

I think the NCAA has pretty much said "We're done with the Albert Means story...been there, done that, case closed, let's move on". And I agree with 'em. I also feel the same about all other Bama and/or Auburn violations of years ago--Eric Ramsey, signatures on napkins, accusations against a dead or living former coaches, etc.. The only thing about any of those that matters to me now is the "repeat offender" window.

Let Bama fans live in the past, I prefer to focus on Auburn's bright future!

uat? CHEAT!?!

Say it ain't so! :D

It says that the NCAA investigated it, so I am going to assume that they were cleared of all of this. By what I know about how the ACT exams are given, I was an exam proctor for a year, it would be very tough to cheat once on and ACT, much less as many times as this suggests. You would have to know an exam proctor and have them in on the operation. But, there is no guarantee a student would get a certain proctor. Where I was a proctor at, there were several different groups taking the test on that day and the ACT administration's computer just randomly puts a student in one of the several groups to be tested, so where I was at, it would be impossible to make sure a student was overseen by particuar proctor. I guess it could be pulled off if it was taken in a more rural area where maybe when the test is given out there was only one group on test day which meant it was always the same proctor. That person would just overlook the ID of the substitute test taker.

248899[/snapback]

I don't know if the NCAA "cleared" uat of the charge. More than likely, it couldn't be proven to be linked to uat. Lynn Lang doesn't strike me as particularly bright but you really don't need a college recruiter to tell you how to get an ACT or SAT score for an athlete. I happen to think Ivy Williams helped Lang do it but I can't prove it.

Btw I'm 30+ years out of HS, but my best friend then took an ACT test for an athlete (baseball player) so he could get into uat. This was in the panhandle of FL & the test was administered at a Junior College. It wasn't that hard to do (i.e. with a fake driver's license for ID.)

Archived