Why wait?

quietfan

With all the rumors and allegations that float around the Internet these days, there is one question I've never seen a logical answer to: If someone actually does know someting, or has hard evidence, what would be gained by waiting for weeks to reveal it after the rumors have already hit the web?

2 examples come to mind immediately:

1) the "Keys" rumors...I've been hearing for weeks now that Keys is going to spill the beans on Bama. Usually the web postings say something like "just wait, it''ll come out in 2-3 weeks". Why would Keys wait 2-3 weeks if it was his intention to talk and the rumors were all over the web anyway?

2) The other big example: rumors of UGA turning in AU for recruiting violations. This is another one thats been around a very long time, but every version I hear says the truth will come out in another week or two. Again, why the delay? If there was anything to it, don't you think a reporter and a source would come forward with the story as soon as the rumors hit the web?

I know the NCAA has a clearly defined process that takes a certain amount of time to progress, but I don't know why that would cause a long delay for some reporter and source. For good or ill, it's to every reporter's advantage to scoop his competition and get a story out as soon as possible. I can also understand if an insider hears about a reporter's story a day or two before a paper gets around to printing it, but a 2-3 week delay?

Until someone gives me a very good reason for someone to hold their tongue that long after their story has already made the rounds of the message boards, I will continue to be super skeptical of any rumor that says "The truth will be revealed at some far future date."

i am beginnng to have doubts about the keys story,myself.....it had been relayed to me by some usually reliable sources,but it seems that what keys said originally,doesn't match with what he is saying now....my guess is that the bammerfarts got to him,but i don't know that,it is only speculation on my part....there was a story with keys at one time, whether it was a true one remains to be seen

As much as anything it probably happens because someone starts a rumor and everyone else starts talking about it like they know the guy that knows the guy that's going to turn in XYZ school and they add in a small time frame to make it sound like they got advanved info. And then it spreads because who doesn't want to see a rival get caught for something.

Most of the rumors start for one basic reason.

AUBURN has been whipping Bammers butt in recruiting and on the field. The Bammers think it is their birth right to beat AUBURN. Now they FEAR THE THUMB!

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

As much as anything it probably happens because someone starts a rumor and everyone else starts talking about it like they know the guy that knows the guy that's going to turn in XYZ school and they add in a small time frame to make it sound like they got advanved info. And then it spreads because who doesn't want to see a rival get caught for something.

249248[/snapback]

More or less my point, Boonan. Once a rumor has hit the internet, here's no logical reason for such waiting for REAL stories or true whistleblowers to hit the "legitimate media" (ok, maybe an oxymoron :rolleyes: ). So I pretty much chalk up anything that says "wait a week or two" as BS.

A counter example: Mike Price & Destinygate. I remember that only being on the internet boards about 24 hours or less before legit news sources picked it up, not 2-3 weeks.

Archived