Athletes graduating early..

quietfan

You know, I've been thinking: In this day and age, instead of being surprizing or suspicious when athletes graduate early, shouldn't it really be the norm?

These days in almost every major D-1 program, the athletes stay on campus for the summer to participate in conditioning and voluntary player-led drills. You really can't be competitive if you don't. I assume they would all take some summer classes since they are on campus anyway. Over 3-4 summers, that adds up to almost a year more than students who go home in the summer.

Now I understand that they may also take minimal loads during the season, but the NCAA says even a minimal load is still 12 semester hours. Congrats to all who graduate early, but with all those summer classes we should not be shocked or suspicious of early graduates.

What does/will all of this "non-story" stuff lead to concerning "online" degrees?

THOSE folks NEVER darken a classroom.

p.s. uat runs commercials EVERY day on the radio touting their online courses.

You know, I've been thinking:  In this day and age, instead of being surprizing or suspicious when athletes graduate early, shouldn't it really be the norm?

These days in almost every major D-1 program, the athletes stay on campus for the summer to participate in conditioning and voluntary player-led drills.  You really can't be competitive if you don't.  I assume they would all take some summer classes since they are on campus anyway.  Over 3-4 summers, that adds up to almost a year more than students who go home in the summer.

Now I understand that they may also take minimal loads during the season, but the NCAA says even a minimal load is still 12 semester hours.  Congrats to all who graduate early, but with all those summer classes we should not be shocked or suspicious of early graduates.

249604[/snapback]

Good point about them going to school year round and finishing early. I heard the football players have adopted the strategy of loading up on classes in the spring/summer terms and taking minimal loads in the fall/winter so they can concentrate on their season. I would think athletes in other sports do the same to remain eligible for their season.

Archived