Big Games in the SEC - 2006

HeelingHands

Auburn gets mentioned several times throughout this piece...

http://www.ncaapalace.com/node/1561

Biggest Games in the SEC in 2006

When your conference features notable coaches such as Steve Spurrier, Urban Meyer and Phil Fulmer, you can imagine the kinds of games that make up the top 10 biggest games in the SEC in 2006.

From the home office in Parts Unknown, NC...

The Top 10 Biggest SEC Conference Games

#10 Georgia at Auburn (Nov 11) -- Last season the Dawgs believed they had Auburn on the ropes only to see the Tigers turn a 4th down play into a 63-yard pass completion that set up the winning FG in a stunning 31-30 upset.

#9 Florida at Tennessee (Sept 16) -- Remember two years ago when Florida was absolutely "jobbed" by the officiating crew in Knoxville. Well, Urban Meyer brings the Gators back to the scene of the crime and gets his first taste of Rocky Top.

#8 Florida at Auburn (Oct 14) -- Urban Meyer vs. Tommy Tuberville - part I. This game will feature two of the better QBs not only in the SEC, but the nation in Chris Leak and Brandon Cox.

#7 Auburn at South Carolina (Sept 28) -- Anyone who isn't glued to their TV sets for this Thursday night game needs to have his pulse checked. ESPN will play up the Spurrier angle all night and the 'Cocks might even pull off a mild upset.

#6 Alabama at Florida (Sept 30) -- Anyone else want to wager that Urban Meyer and staff have this game circled with "31-3"...? Will QB Leak exocise those demons from last season's rout?

#5 Auburn at Alabama (Nov 18) -- It's the Iron Bowl, folks. No further explanation needed. Oh, and depending on how the season plays out, this could determine who represents the SEC West in the SEC title game.

#4 South Carolina at Florida (Nov 11) -- Steve Spurrier returns to Gainesville after beating his old team last season in Columbia. Scalpers and eBay sellers will look to turn crazy profits.

#3 LSU at Florida (Oct 7) -- There isn't a better way to bring in the first weekend of October than showcasing a possible SEC Title game preview. The Gators will seek to avenge last season's 21-17 defeat, and the Bayou Bengals will look to establish early conference dominance.

#2 Georgia vs. Florida (Oct 28) -- "The World's Largest Cocktail Party", and we don't give a .... what politically-correct spin Georgia officials try to put on it. There will be drinkin', tailgatin', and a great football game with the winner having the inside track to winning the SEC East.

(drum roll please...)

#1 LSU at Auburn (Sept 16) -- It will be a defensive-minded affair, going down to the last possession... exactly how this author likes 'em. Most likely this game will decide who faces the Georgia/Florida winner in the SEC title game in December.

OTHER BIG GAMES of IMPORTANCE, Selected Schools

ARKANSAS vs Southern Cal (Sept 2) -- This is perfect opportunity for the Hogs to make a statement. A win here, and folks will start taking the Razorbacks seriously. A loss, and we'll start wondering about Houston Nutt's job security.

KENTUCKY at Louisville (Sept 3) -- Many feel the Wildcats could have and should have won last year's meeting, but Andre Woodson's fumble (yes, it was a fumble) at the Cardinal 2-yard line ended those hopes.

OLE MISS vs Georgia (Sept 30) -- If the Rebels are going to make any noise in the conference, they must beat teams like Georgia at home.

VANDERBILT vs Arkansas (Sept 16) -- The Commodores, barring some miracle, are staring at an 0-2 start, and they'll get a chance to stop the bleeding at home.

BEST NON-CONFERENCE GAME

California at TENNESSEE (Sept 2) -- The Golden Bears will likely be a top-15 team when they come to Knoxville. How will the Vols respond to last season's disappointments. A win by the Vols and they'll immediately garner top-20 consideration by the media.

----

Can you believe these listings make no mention of South Carolina at Clemson or Florida at Florida State...? Me either. No doubt, however, that those two games will be important end-of-season rivalry games.

The Auburn-South Carolina game should be interesting, and Steve is riding a two game losing skid against Auburn and I bet he doesn't like that. The Auburn-Florida is one I'm looking foward to, I really don't care for Urban and his myth and I think it would be nice to send UF packing back with another loss from the Heart of Dixie.

Don't understand why UGA - UF is #2, while UGA @ AU is way down at #10. More evidence of the (way) overhyped Cocktail Party and Urban Myth. Even if UF is as good as the "experts" predict, the Dawgs aren't going away. I think they'll take at least two out of three from UT (in Athens), UF ("neutral" - yeah, like Bamaham was neutral) and USC, and they'll be right in the thick of the East title race (if they haven't already won it - REMEMBER: UGA doesn't play LSU, uat or Arky) when they come to Auburn.

Furthermore, how can you put this matchup at #10, given that it produced last year's SEC game of the year (AU-LSU excepted, maybe)???

I agree JB33, I don't know why more isn't made of the Auburn-Georgia game. I suppose a lot of the experts are thinking that since they lost Shockley and we're playing at home, we have the edge this year. But I bet by the time the game rolls around, it will be a heck of a matchup, as usual.

The South Carolina game does not scare me as much as people give it credit for. Too many questions on defense! And with one or two hits on Mitchell, Auburn wins going away!

Steve-o will have a tough go of it this season. UF will be hungry for the kill in the Swamp, UT wants revenge, and they can't beat Clemson. I see 7-5, with loses to Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Tennessee, and UGA or Arkansas. Teams that have good running games will prosper v/s the "Coots" this season.

Archived