Bama Homer Journalism, great example

DKW 86

http://www.alexcityoutlook.com/articles/20...ts/sports03.txt

Be wary Auburn fans

By T.D. Wood

If I were an Auburn Tiger fan, I'd be shaking in my boots (or sneakers, or whatever type of footwear you prefer) right about now.

I'm not just saying that because I'm some bitter Alabama fan (Yes you are) ;) salivating at the smell of trouble heading towards The Plains - because I'm not. The Tide did the crime and paid the hefty price, (And produced more whine than the Gallo Brothers) and I can live with that. Besides, the only place I want revenge is on the field where it really counts.

No, I'm saying that because this situation is awfully familiar to me. You see, not too long ago I was headed to Tuscaloosa to begin my collegiate career, and I was jazzed about the future of the Crimson Tide football program. Dennis Franchione seemed like he knew what he was doing, (He did, packed his bags and left T-Town)and it appeared as if Alabama had the right guy to lead them back to glory. After a 10-3 season, not even the probation banning us from postseason play for two seasons could dampen my spirits.

But then it happened: the rumors that started running wild before the Iron Bowl saying that Coach Fran was headed to Texas A&M came to fruition, and we were left coach-less and in a state of shock. (Werent those the 'fake rumors' started by AU fans that had the Tide so fired up they lost 17-7?)

Four years later Alabama is still feeling the ill effects of the probation and the coaching change. Instead of reloading after a 10-win season, the Tide now has to survive a transition year.

Well, the Auburn situation is a bit different, but it still feels eerily similar.

Auburn has been on a great high these past few years (getting jobbed out of a fair shot at the National Championship not withstanding). But now some academic shortcomings have surfaced, and they're poised to put a black eye on a thriving program.

Now, signs seem to be saying that the Tigers won't get hit with any NCAA penalties and that they'll walk away unscathed. But - and trust an Alabama fan on this one - the NCAA is a spiteful organization. They're out to better themselves and themselves only, despite what they may tell you otherwise.

With these new problems Auburn didn't just embarrass themselves, but also the NCAA. The Tigers placed pretty high on that academic list the NCAA put out. Pretty high being fourth on the list behind only Stanford, the Naval Academy and Boston College. Perhaps even more surprising was the fact the Tigers finished higher than Duke and Vanderbilt. (BTW Duke has been accused of the same thing AU Was for those of us that actually read.)

But now it comes out that the Tigers didn't quite earn that ranking in the most honorable way. True, they don't seem to have violated any rules, but you better believe the NCAA will be looking hard for something they can slap on Auburn. (Does this come the same source that the fix was in with Gene Marsh with the Committee on Infractions when yall got hammered?)

However, there's a bigger problem here. They severely tarnished any reputation they had, and you know that's going to be used against them in the recruiting game, where it hurts the most. (Yeah it hurt sssooo much we have picked up three commitments since the article came out.)

And now that pesky Texas A&M is coming back into play. Rumors - and let me reiterate that: RUMORS - are swirling about that if Coach Fran has another bad year in College Station, then he is going to be shown the door. (Well brainiac, that aint a rumor, that is more like a fact.)

And that very door will be opened to the Auburn's very own Tommy Tuberville, a former defensive coordinator for the Aggies. And to be frank, it's an awfully enticing job for The Riverboat Gambler. After all, this is the same coach that was almost replaced after a midnight flight to court Bobby Petrino a few years ago, and Tuberville's relationship with Auburn's higher-ups has never been a great one. (He basically owns them now.)

So maybe it's time for Tiger fans to start paying a bit more attention to the Big 12, and maybe even do a little cheering for the Aggies. Because after their recent success -and not to mention Alabama's apparent looming resurgence - the last thing Auburn needs is a coaching change to come along and screw things up.

And if Tuberville does pack his bags and leave? Well, it'd be safe to say that the Aggies wouldn't be what you would call a popular team around these parts. [b

Since 1981, we have had three coaches, Dye, Bowden, and Tuberville. Bama has had five coaches since 2000. You guys change coaches faster than my 17year old changes her clothes before a date. Just for the record, the really pathetic thing is watching these 1,001 rumors we have had to suffer this off season from the great unwashed masses. Why dont you guys worry about what is going on ON THE FIELD. If we were as concerned as you folks were, then I would worry.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why dont you guys worry about what is going on ON THE FIELD.[/color][/b]

251362[/snapback]

ME! ME! ME! (hand in air)

Because they know that the lie they lived last year is about to come crashing down!

Probably the worst thing I've read all day. He blabs on about the NCAA yet forgets they already commented on the situation. :puke::puke:

I know how easy it is to simply insert quips into an article.

BUT.........

You guys know what a strong Alabama team is like. I think some people forget that we have been on probation twice since '94. I'm not going to get into the why/how Bama was put on probation debate b/c that's off the subject... And I agree that on paper AU appears to be the better team heading into this season. My point is that I think it's foolish for the SEC not to be wary of Alabama in the near future for a number of reasons. First of all, we're always going to be "Alabama." I know many in here don't want to accept that or even hear it but it's the truth. Unless we shoot ourselves in the foot by doing something outrageously stupid (ex: DuBose hire, Pensacola strip clubs), we will compete for the :sec: title pretty much every year. The chains of 2 NCAA probations have crippled our program and strengthened yours. Numerous players would have worn crimson & white instead of orange & blue if it weren't for the scholly reductions, bowl bans, etc. That's a proven fact. In spite of all the recent troubles that we've been through, we've come out of probation with a pretty steady footing on two occasions. Even though we lost a gazillion scholarships and were ineligible for bowls in 02 and 03, we put together a 30-21 overall record with 20 less scholarship players than our opponents; including two 10 win seasons. That's Alabama when we're DOWN (less scholarship players, countless key injuries, 3 different head coaches in a 3 year time span). Now imagine when the playing field is leveled...

Though, the playing field will not be actually be level. :ua: is going to have some of the nicest facilities in the entire country. While I don't think CMS, whatever your opinion of him as a coach may be, is the next Bear Bryant, I do think he'll do a nice job recruiting and we're already starting to see that pattern develop. We'll then see both of those factors combine to equal success for the Tide in the near future. Even though we'll likely never be the :ua: of the 60's and 70's, I can promise you that this is the last season in a looooooooong time that I'll be predicting a 4 loss year. Our future's very bright.

First of all, we're always going to be "Alabama." I know many in here don't want to accept that or even hear it but it's the truth. Unless we shoot ourselves in the foot by doing something outrageously stupid (ex: DuBose hire, Pensacola strip clubs), we will compete for the  :sec: title pretty much every year.

251376[/snapback]

Yep... your name is Alabama... so I'm assuming you'll always be Alabama. Or are you trying to note that "Alabama" is infact far and beyond the teams in the conference that are actually making it to SEC Title games, BCS bowls, and NC title shots??

Numerous players would have worn crimson & white instead of orange & blue if it weren't for the scholly reductions, bowl bans, etc. That's a proven fact.

I wonder if anyone can find that thread that actually proved this point wrong in recruiting battles. Wasn't it a true fact that Bama & Auburn just basically went after different players more times than not?

Please dont play it off like each and every single recruit we had was also being recruited by Bama... because this is not true.

David...where did this come from?

251372[/snapback]

Alexander City News Paper, the Alex City Outlook, link is with original post.

BUT.........

You guys know what a strong Alabama team is like. I think some people forget that we have been on probation twice since '94. I'm not going to get into the why/how Bama was put on probation debate b/c that's off the subject... And I agree that on paper AU appears to be the better team heading into this season. My point is that I think it's foolish for the SEC not to be wary of Alabama in the near future for a number of reasons. First of all, we're always going to be "Alabama." I know many in here don't want to accept that or even hear it but it's the truth. Unless we shoot ourselves in the foot by doing something outrageously stupid (ex: DuBose hire, Pensacola strip clubs), we will compete for the  :sec: title pretty much every year. The chains of 2 NCAA probations have crippled our program and strengthened yours. Numerous players would have worn crimson & white instead of orange & blue if it weren't for the scholly reductions, bowl bans, etc. That's a proven fact. In spite of all the recent troubles that we've been through, we've come out of probation with a pretty steady footing on two occasions. Even though we lost a gazillion scholarships and were ineligible for bowls in 02 and 03, we put together a 30-21  overall record with 20 less scholarship players than our opponents; including two 10 win seasons. That's Alabama when we're DOWN (less scholarship players, countless key injuries, 3 different head coaches in a 3 year time span). Now imagine when the playing field is leveled...

Though, the playing field will not be actually be level. :ua: is going to have some of the nicest facilities in the entire country. While I don't think CMS, whatever your opinion of him as a coach may be, is the next Bear Bryant, I do think he'll do a nice job recruiting and we're already starting to see that pattern develop. We'll then see both of those factors combine to equal success for the Tide in the near future. Even though we'll likely never be the :ua: of the 60's and 70's, I can promise you that this is the last season in a looooooooong time that I'll be predicting a 4 loss year. Our future's very bright.

251376[/snapback]

Hope springs eternal and delusion takes over like kudzu.

Thanks for the chuckles.

Next you're gonna tell me the alex city media has it out for AU. :)

251385[/snapback]

No, I just find it funnt that a "penny pincher" finds it necessary to get into college sports...I bet they dont even run but twice a week.

BUT.........

You guys know what a strong Alabama team is like. I think some people forget that we have been on probation twice since '94. I'm not going to get into the why/how Bama was put on probation debate b/c that's off the subject... And I agree that on paper AU appears to be the better team heading into this season. My point is that I think it's foolish for the SEC not to be wary of Alabama in the near future for a number of reasons. First of all, we're always going to be "Alabama." I know many in here don't want to accept that or even hear it but it's the truth. Unless we shoot ourselves in the foot by doing something outrageously stupid (ex: DuBose hire, Pensacola strip clubs), we will compete for the  :sec: title pretty much every year. The chains of 2 NCAA probations have crippled our program and strengthened yours. Numerous players would have worn crimson & white instead of orange & blue if it weren't for the scholly reductions, bowl bans, etc. That's a proven fact. In spite of all the recent troubles that we've been through, we've come out of probation with a pretty steady footing on two occasions. Even though we lost a gazillion scholarships and were ineligible for bowls in 02 and 03, we put together a 30-21  overall record with 20 less scholarship players than our opponents; including two 10 win seasons. That's Alabama when we're DOWN (less scholarship players, countless key injuries, 3 different head coaches in a 3 year time span). Now imagine when the playing field is leveled...

251376[/snapback]

You say Bammer will compete for the SEC title every year. I doubt that. You have to go back 30 years ago to when the Bear was still the coach in Tuscaloser to find the last time the Bammers competed for the SEC title every year.

As for your excuse that probation has crippled the Bammers, the Bammers have basically cheated their entire history. The Bammers started paying football players in the 1920's and have been paying players every since. The Bammers only got to the top of the SEC by cheating and other dirty tricks. Considering they have been cheating for the last 75 or 80 years, the NCAA putting the Bammer football program on probation was long overdue.

You have to go 30 years ago to when the Bammers have competed for the SEC title every year.

Translated: year before probation/coaching problems: won the sec championship. first year off of probation:wasnt eliminated from the sec west title race until the last reg season game.

Yep... your name is Alabama... so I'm assuming you'll always be Alabama. Or are you trying to note that "Alabama" is infact far and beyond the teams in the conference that are actually making it to SEC Title games, BCS bowls, and NC title shots??

When the playing field is leveled (probation woes) and we don't just totally screw everything up (secretary lovin', P'Cola strip clubs, fights amongst coaches in the press box, etc) we will be the class of the SEC. It's always been that way and always will.

I wonder if anyone can find that thread that actually proved this point wrong in recruiting battles. Wasn't it a true fact that Bama & Auburn just basically went after different players more times than not?

Please dont play it off like each and every single recruit we had was also being recruited by Bama... because this is not true.

That is true. But, tell me, what kinda player was Carnell Williams? Would he have helped Bama win some more games/put up better offensive stats? Of course he would. Thanks to the NCAA jailhouse we were in, he went to AU. And it's not just the players like Caddy that we just simply lost, it's also the players that we weren't even able to go after thanks to the scholly reductions. We had to be very picky about the kids we signed, even if they were 2 and 3 star recruits b/c we were only able to sign very few players. So your argument about :au: and :ua: going after different players is pretty misleading. We would have been going after many of those same players had we been ABLE to. Also, don't forget how unappealing :ua: was as a place to play. No opportunity to win a SEC title, NC title, or even play in the Massengil Moutwash bowl for two years as well as the other coaching staffs telling the recruits that we were "on a downhill slide" and other anti-Bama comments such as that on recruiting visits.

My point is that we're starting to pick ourselves up off the mat yet again. We won 10 ballgames last season and finished #8 in the nation. Luck or not... great offense or not... that's a big accomplishment for a team that did it with a bunch of no-names coming out of high school and with less players than every single other team that lined up from us across the line of scrimmage. After the what looks to be a rebuilding year of 07, you'll be seeing big things out of us.

and not to mention Alabama's apparent looming resurgence

As if this great piece of journalism didn't already reek of homerism, he had to go there too... :lol:

When the playing field is leveled (probation woes) and we don't just totally screw everything up (secretary lovin', P'Cola strip clubs, fights amongst coaches in the press box, etc) we will be the class of the SEC. It's always been that way and always will.

That is true. But, tell me, what kinda player was Carnell Williams? Would he have helped Bama win some more games/put up better offensive stats? Of course he would. Thanks to the NCAA jailhouse we were in, he went to AU. And it's not just the players like Caddy that we just simply lost, it's also the players that we weren't even able to go after thanks to the scholly reductions. We had to be very picky about the kids we signed, even if they were 2 and 3 star recruits b/c we were only able to sign very few players. So your argument about :au: and :ua: going after different players is pretty misleading. We would have been going after many of those same players had we been ABLE to. Also, don't forget how unappealing :ua: was as a place to play. No opportunity to win a SEC title, NC title, or even play in the Massengil Moutwash bowl for two years as well as the other coaching staffs telling the recruits that we were "on a downhill slide" and other anti-Bama comments such as that on recruiting visits.

My point is that we're starting to pick ourselves up off the mat yet again. We won 10 ballgames last season and finished #8 in the nation. Luck or not... great offense or not... that's a big accomplishment for a team that did it with a bunch of no-names coming out of high school and with less players than every single other team that lined up from us across the line of scrimmage. After the what looks to be a rebuilding year of 07, you'll be seeing big things out of us.

251392[/snapback]

Keep telling yourself that buddy.

:no:

History has no impact on the future. Alabama's greatness is HISTORY not tradition.

251392[/snapback]

Carnell Williams was signed by UT. He went to AU after they signed Gerald Riggss we were after. Carnell Williams never really considered UA and certainly took them off the list after the Fran in home visit.

You say Bammer will compete for the SEC title every year. I doubt that. You have to go back 30 years ago to when the Bear was still the coach in Tuscaloser to find the last time the Bammers competed for the SEC title every year.

I never said that. I said "pretty much every year." As in... finish 3rd in division in 2003, win the whole conference in 2004, and win 7/8 in 2005. Sounds very similar to a program I know of.

As for your excuse that probation has crippled the Bammers, the Bammers have basically cheated their entire history. The Bammers started paying football players in the 1920's and have been paying players every since. The Bammers only got to the top of the SEC by cheating and other dirty tricks. Considering they have been cheating for the last 75 or 80 years, the NCAA putting the Bammer football program on probation was long overdue.

Those are some nice, wild accusations from a fan of a school that has been put on probation more times than the "ol cheating Tide." You sound eerily similar to the New York Times.

You have to go 30 years ago to when the Bammers have competed for the SEC title every year.

Translated: year before probation/coaching problems: won the sec championship. first year off of probation:wasnt eliminated from the sec west title race until the last reg season game.

251391[/snapback]

The Bammers won the SEC championship as long as they were paying players 150k apiece. The Bammers finished in 3rd place in the Western Division last year.

History has no impact on the future.  Alabama's greatness is HISTORY not tradition.

Really? So you mean to tell me that one day Duke will rise to the top of the ACC? Or what about Kentucky in the SEC? Baylor in the Big XII? That's an outlandish statement you just made. "History has no impact on the future." LOL, yeah right.

These lyrics didn't happen by chance. Alabama has always been, is currently, and will always be a winner.

They got a name for the winners in the world

I want a name when I lose

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide

Call me deacon blues

BUT.........

251376[/snapback]

DUDE...really...and I know because I've been an AU fan since the 50's...you were the ALABAMA that you fantasize about under the Bahr...and that's IT!!! During the rest of history for all time this thing is about as even as you can get...and we're closing in fast, record wise...so get used to it!!! B)

:au::homer:

Wasn't Caddy a Tenn. lock before switching to AU??

*edit - n/m already answered

251397[/snapback]

He's previously openly stated that he would have followed Brodie to TTown had it not been for the probation.

Another example of AU and UT benefitting from Bama's hard times. Even though the Vols didn't get Caddy, they got 10x the interest from him that he showed us. And honestly, I can't really blame him.

BUT.........

251376[/snapback]

I thought the Alexander City article was the stupidest thing I'd ever read. And then wincrimpson posted. Thanks, wc for reminding me that even when I think I've seen it all, there's still somebody out there even more deluded, more retarded and more clueless.

BUT.........

251376[/snapback]

DUDE...really...and I know because I've been an AU fan since the 50's...you were the ALABAMA that you fantasize about under the Bahr...and that's IT!!! During the rest of history for all time this thing is about as even as you can get...and we're closing in fast, record wise...so get used to it!!! B)

:au::homer:

251403[/snapback]

Oh...and PS...someone wrote an article not too very long ago showing how infrequently AU and Bamar went after the same players...so you're wrong about that too. :poke:

Archived