Bama Homer Journalism, great example

DKW 86

Wasn't Caddy a Tenn. lock before switching to AU??

*edit - n/m already answered

251397[/snapback]

He's previously openly stated that he would have followed Brodie to TTown had it not been for the probation.

251406[/snapback]

BULLcrap. Do you really tell yourself this when you're laying on your bama bedspread, sucking your thumb and gazing teary-eyed at the painting of Bear Bryant that hangs from your ceiling?

Lock down the nominations, wincrimpson just won the award for most delusional poster of the year.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing wild about the idea that Bammer has been cheating since the 1920's. William Bradford Huie, a Bammer graduate, wrote a story in Colliers Magazine in 1941 detailing how the Bammers were paying players in the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's. We know Bear Bryant was payiing players when he was at Texas A&M. I doubt he stopped paying players when he came to Tuscaloser.

All this information is in the Classics Forum. Ill give you the link in case you want to read it.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25609

Tell me wincrimson, if Bama has always been the class of the SEC then how come since 1980 Alabama hasn't won much outside of 1992.

UGA- 5 SEC titles and a MNC title (1980)

UF- 6 SEC titles and a MNC title (1996)

UT- 5 SEC titles and a MNC title (1998)

LSU- 4 SEC titles and a MNC Title (2003)

AU- 5 SEC titles

Bama- 3 SEC titles and a MNC (1992)

Are you sure you aren't stuck in the 70's, you know "That 70's Show" is fictional and over, just like Bama's greatness.

That is true. But, tell me, what kinda player was Carnell Williams? Would he have helped Bama win some more games/put up better offensive stats? Of course he would. Thanks to the NCAA jailhouse we were in, he went to AU. And it's not just the players like Caddy that we just simply lost, it's also the players that we weren't even able to go after thanks to the scholly reductions. We had to be very picky about the kids we signed, even if they were 2 and 3 star recruits b/c we were only able to sign very few players. So your argument about  :au: and  :ua: going after different players is pretty misleading. We would have been going after many of those same players had we been ABLE to.

251392[/snapback]

What reality are you living in? You need to step back on this side of the looking glass and breathe some real air.

Alabama was on probation. Carnell Williams went to Auburn. Carnell Williams went pro in 2004. Auburn is undefeated in Tuscaloosa. Those are the facts.

Man, I respect your dedication to your team, but you are crossing the line with the whining. Your probation is O.V.E.R. What are you doing? Crying because you were on probation.

You absolutely REFUSE to not see yourself as the center of the universe. You absolutely REFUSE to give Auburn any credit for whipping your *** the past 4 years. In your mind Auburn has not done anything that you have not let them do, and Auburn didn't win....Bama lost because they were on probation.

For more on this topic, refer to the thread "Alabama is Ole Miss"

DUDE...really...and I know because I've been an AU fan since the 50's...you were the ALABAMA that you fantasize about under the Bahr...and that's IT!!! During the rest of history for all time this thing is about as even as you can get...and we're closing in fast, record wise...so get used to it!!! B)

:au:   :homer:

You mean you've been an AU fan since the 1950's? Wow!! Therefore, that means you must have infinite wisdom! *sarcasm*

It's your fault you make me bring up this crap that you obviously hate and I hate looking up myself... but....

1930s: 60-25-4 (34th in nation)

1920s: 72-21-6 (13th in the nation)

1930s: 79-11-5 (1st in the nation)

1940s: 66-23-4 (12th in nation)

1950s: 50-48-10 (68th in nation; Ears Whitworth = Mike DuBose)

1983-1989: 58-25-1 (14th in nation)

1990s: 83-40 (17th in nation)

2000s: 40-33 (51st in nation)

link

Yes, there have been some rougher times (see 50's and since 2000), but we've always been a top tier program, with or without Bryant at the helm. To say that we're "nothing but the Bear" is a very foolish statement.

DUDE...really...and I know because I've been an AU fan since the 50's...you were the ALABAMA that you fantasize about under the Bahr...and that's IT!!! During the rest of history for all time this thing is about as even as you can get...and we're closing in fast, record wise...so get used to it!!! B)

You mean you've been an AU fan since the 1950's? Wow!! Therefore, that means you must have infinite wisdom! *sarcasm*

It's your fault you make me bring up this crap that you obviously hate and I hate looking up myself... but....

link

Yes, there have been some rougher times (see 50's and since 2000), but we've always been a top tier program, with or without Bryant at the helm. To say that we're "nothing but the Bear" is a very foolish statement.

251418[/snapback]

What top tier? Other than than the 30's I don't see much on that list that is considered top tier.

Oh...and PS...someone wrote an article not too very long ago showing how infrequently AU and Bamar went after the same players...so you're wrong about that too.  :poke:

I've already touched on that subject in the paragraph below... read every post I make and post your ideas, but don't blindly criticize.

Thanks to the NCAA jailhouse we were in, he went to AU. And it's not just the players like Caddy that we just simply lost, it's also the players that we weren't even able to go after thanks to the scholly reductions. We had to be very picky about the kids we signed, even if they were 2 and 3 star recruits b/c we were only able to sign very few players. So your argument about au2.gif and alabama.gif going after different players is pretty misleading. We would have been going after many of those same players had we been ABLE to. Also, don't forget how unappealing alabama.gif was as a place to play. No opportunity to win a SEC title, NC title, or even play in the Massengil Moutwash bowl for two years as well as the other coaching staffs telling the recruits that we were "on a downhill slide" and other anti-Bama comments such as that on recruiting visits.

--------

Carnell Williams never really considered UA and certainly took them off the list after the Fran in home visit.

Actually he was quoted in a couple of articles saying he wanted to go to bama with his friend brodie but bama probation scared him away.

UGA- 5 SEC titles and a MNC title (1980)

UF- 6 SEC titles and a MNC title (1996)

UT- 5 SEC titles and a MNC title (1998)

LSU- 4 SEC titles and a MNC Title (2003)

AU- 5 SEC titles

Bama- 3 SEC titles and a MNC (1992)

People always use 1980 as the barometer. If you went back two more years, bamas line would read something like this:

Bama 5 SEC Titles and 3 MNC titles.

How about we do it since 1990?

AU 1 SEC title

UA 2 SEC Titles (including like 5 or 6 outright western titles) 1 National Title

link

251418[/snapback]

AU was in the lead in the series before Bear. We lead the series since Bear.

Take out the Bear Years and we are leading by a good margin.

Before Bear: 11-9-1 Auburn

During Bear : 6-19 Alabama

Since Bear: 14-10 Auburn

Total: 38-31-1 Bama Leads

Without Bear: 25-19-1 Auburn Rules.

Bama does not equal Bear. He is definitely a part of the Alabama Legacy, but when you factor in the rest, it alters the numbers big time.

Consider a few more facts from my days as bama fan.

Bear lost 7-8 bowl games in a row. :o

Bear never won a bowl game running the Wishbone. :o

Bama has a great tradition. The fact that most HSers cant remember almost any of it shows you just how long it has been.

link

251418[/snapback]

A Bamar missing the point...whodathunkit? I was saying that you were NO better than us when playing us.... By the way, we won some Southern Conference Championships too, before the SEC came along.... :poke:

:au::homer:

Oh, losecrimpson, do you really want to go there?

50's Auburn ranked ahead of Alabama in win %

60s - Alabama was 1st, Auburn was 31st. For reference? Ole Miss was 9th, Arkansas was 3rd and Dartmouth was 5th.

70s - Alabama was 1st, Auburn was 24th. Even during Bama's greatest era, AU was a top 25 team.

80s - Auburn ranked ahead of Alabama

90s - Alabama 16th, Auburn 23rd. Auburn's darkest days and this was the best Bama could do?

2000 - current - Auburn is 13th, Alabama 50th.

Let's recap. Auburn ranks ahead of Alabama in winning percentage in the 50s, 80s, and currently. Bama owned the 60s and 70s. Nobody is disputing that. And even in the 90s when Auburn was struggling through a UA-backed NCAA witchhunt, the best Bama could do was 16th while AU weighed in at 23rd? Bama = Ole Miss.

Yeah, I'm impressed. The "dominance" is clear. In fakeland.

First of all, we're always going to be "Alabama." I know many in here don't want to accept that or even hear it but it's the truth.

So, this isn't the 70's. What are we supposed to do tremble in fear? Alabama was Alabama in the 80's also when Auburn won twice as many conference titles, one of Alabama's two was shared with Auburn in 89 and Auburn won that year.

Considering that Auburn had won 4 of 5 meetings going into 91, which in Sept. of 91 Ramsey went to the NCAA with allegations (with Alabama loyal lawyers), I would have to say that Alabama benefited in the early 90's because of the NCAA. 91 and 92 while under severe investigation Alabama managed to win. 93 Alabama goes to the SECG why? Cause Auburn is on probation, Alabama benefited that year, losing to Auburn that year. The investigation, bowl ban, scholarship loses, and TV ban affected Auburn's recruiting in those years also. So Alabama benefited in 94 from Auburns probation also. The next time Alabama goes to the SECG is in 99, a year that Auburn is down and first year under a new head coach.

Looks to me since the early 80's that the only time Alabama is highly successful is when Auburn is shooting themselves in the foot.

We could just as simply flip what your saying, how many players would have gone to Auburn if not for NCAA investigations and sanctions, or Terry Bowdens ego and pissing off every HS coach in the state with that ego.

I think the people not wanting to accept anything is on the other side. Even without probation Alabama has not dominated the conference, the 70's are over, and Alabama needs to accept that and the fact noone fears them even without probation.

Actually he was quoted in a couple of articles saying he wanted to go to bama with his friend brodie but bama probation scared him away.

251424[/snapback]

Sorry, BG. I know Carnell personally. Simply isn't true. I've heard the same thing said about nearly every great player that played at Auburn from Sullivan to Bo to Carnell.

Alabama was never seriously on Carnell's radar, no matter how a wishful thinking bama homer may have spun it.

What reality are you living in?  You need to step back on this side of the looking glass and breathe some real air.

Alabama was on probation.  Carnell Williams went to Auburn.  Carnell Williams went pro in 2004.  Auburn is undefeated in Tuscaloosa.  Those are the facts.

Man, I respect your dedication to your team, but you are crossing the line with the whining.  Your probation is O.V.E.R. What are you doing?  Crying because you were on probation.

You absolutely REFUSE to not see yourself as the center of the universe.  You absolutely REFUSE to give Auburn any credit for whipping your *** the past 4 years.  In your mind Auburn has not done anything that you have not let them do, and Auburn didn't win....Bama lost because they were on probation.

If it were only that simple... you make it seem easier than an AU sociology course. Too bad it's not.

Probation is not a 1 year beast. It's a slow but steady ordeal that can kill a program, as a fan of AU, I know you understand that. Kinda like cancer... doesn't kill overnight. What we did last year, even with the bad loss on the Plains, was pretty remarkable for a probation crippled squad. In 2005, we were just now starting to get off the mat. (It's good that Franchione redshirted 99.9% of those guys in their FR year at UA or we could have been looking at 05 like were currently predicting 06). See 02: 10 wins... but a combined 10 wins in 03 and 04 when it really started to hurt us. This was the first Feb since 2001 that we'd be able to sign a full class like everyone else. Couple ZERO depth with costly key injuries and 3 coaching changes and you have a recipe for disaster.

Look, I'm not trying to take the shine of AU's good times at all. Brodie said that the 05 Iron Bowl "showed us that we are behind AU." That's obvious. You guys have had about as much success as you could in the SEC since 2000. From the Citrus Bowl win, to the 04 SECC, to the 4 straight over Alabama.... nobody's saying you didn't earn it. All I'm doing is sorting through the absolute BS that we are equal to Ole freaking Miss and that "Bama will never be good again" mentality that many on this board have. That is a bunch of crap and you know it.

How about we do it since 1990?

UA 2 SEC Titles (including like 5 or 6 outright western titles) 1 National Title

All won when Auburn was under investigation, probation, or down.

Just applying the wincrimson theory.

link

251418[/snapback]

A Bamar missing the point...whodathunkit? I was saying that you were NO better than us when playing us.... By the way, we won some Southern Conference Championships too, before the SEC came along.... :poke:

:au::homer:

251428[/snapback]

What point did I miss exactly? And we won some 4 SOCON titles as well... same # as AU. However, we have 25 overall conference titles, AU has 10. We have 21 SEC titles, AU has 6... 1 more than Georgia Tech, a school that hasn't been in the SEC since 1963. If I were you I would deflect the questions about titles, you'll never win there.

All I'm doing is sorting through the absolute BS that we are equal to Ole freaking Miss and that "Bama will never be good again" mentality that many on this board have. That is a bunch of crap and you know it.

251437[/snapback]

Actually, what I know is that the parallels between Alabama and Ole Miss are downright eerie. Year by year, Alabama will sink deeper and deeper into oblivion. One day, you'll hire some raving lunatic loose cannon, too, hoping he can "restore" your tradition.

Nobody remembers Ole Miss "tradition" any more. In another 10-15 of utter Bama irrelevance (except to people like you) nobody will remember Bama's either. It will have all the gravitas of Dartmouth's football legacy.

UAT - 51 Bowl Appearances

Bear - 24 Bowl Appearances (47%)

UAT Claims: 12 NC's

Bear: 6 of them (50%)

UAT - 21 SEC Titles

Bear - 13 SEC Titles (62%)

So, in the 89 years of football at the Crapstone w/o their "Allah" they have 27 Bowl appearances, 6 NC's and 8 SEC titles.

Ergo, UAT's tradition is a period of 25 years that happened more than two decades ago and makes up about 22% of their football existence.

AU was in the lead in the series before Bear. We lead the series since Bear.

Take out the Bear Years and we are leading by a good margin.

Before Bear: 11-9-1 Auburn

During Bear : 6-19 Alabama

Since Bear: 14-10 Auburn

Total: 38-31-1 Bama Leads

Without Bear: 25-19-1 Auburn Rules.

Bama does not equal Bear. He is definitely a part of the Alabama Legacy, but when you factor in the rest, it alters the numbers big time.

Consider a few more facts from my days as bama fan.

Bear lost 7-8 bowl games in a row. ohmy.gif

Bear never won a bowl game running the Wishbone. ohmy.gif

Bama has a great tradition. The fact that most HSers cant remember almost any of it shows you just how long it has been.

This is what I never understood about Auburn fans. Lets take out the best 30 years of a teams history and compare numbers. Thats really fair. Lets take out all your pat dye years and count how many sec titles you have.

Why is it fair to DISCOUNT ALL of Bryants wins against Auburn (including 10 straight) but you get to COUNT ALL the other wins against bama that were outside of the 19-6 pouding you got during bryants tenure. You dont think i could cherry pick some numbers and make your Iron Bowl history look silly?

Lets see...before our crappy run in the last 4 years, the series was TIED since Bryant. You take out the 19-6 POUNDING we gave you for 25 years and have a 6 game lead and "auburn rules". Gimme a break. The two best coaches in your HISTORY have a losing record to alabama. Tubby is 5-2 against bama. You take his numbers away and take away Bryants and you still only have a 3 game lead over 110 years of football. So to act like Bama is nothing without bryant is a joke.

We won SEC and national titles before, during, and after him.

One day, you'll hire some raving lunatic loose cannon, too, hoping he can "restore" your tradition. 

251441[/snapback]

I was going to say he will be doing commercials talking about "getting a humma from JoJo" but I think Mike Price already covered that.

All I'm doing is sorting through the absolute BS that we are equal to Ole freaking Miss and that "Bama will never be good again" mentality that many on this board have. That is a bunch of crap and you know it.

251437[/snapback]

Actually, what I know is that the parallels between Alabama and Ole Miss are downright eerie. Year by year, Alabama will sink deeper and deeper into oblivion. One day, you'll hire some raving lunatic loose cannon, too, hoping he can "restore" your tradition.

Nobody remembers Ole Miss "tradition" any more. In another 10-15 of utter Bama irrelevance (except to people like you) nobody will remember Bama's either. It will have all the gravitas of Dartmouth's football legacy.

251441[/snapback]

You need to go wash your face in your daughter's Proactiv to get wake yourself up and snap back into reality. We'll never be equal to Ole Miss... never. We're 40-7-2 against them. 40-7. Damn.

And you mention 15 years of irrelevance. During those 15 years, we've won a National Title. Have you?

And you mention 15 years of irrelevance. During those 15 years, we've won a National Title. Have you?

251447[/snapback]

You are right. He meant 14. His bad.

You say Bammer will compete for the SEC title every year. I doubt that. You have to go back 30 years ago to when the Bear was still the coach in Tuscaloser to find the last time the Bammers competed for the SEC title every year.

I never said that. I said "pretty much every year." As in... finish 3rd in division in 2003, win the whole conference in 2004, and win 7/8 in 2005. Sounds very similar to a program I know of.

As for your excuse that probation has crippled the Bammers, the Bammers have basically cheated their entire history. The Bammers started paying football players in the 1920's and have been paying players every since. The Bammers only got to the top of the SEC by cheating and other dirty tricks. Considering they have been cheating for the last 75 or 80 years, the NCAA putting the Bammer football program on probation was long overdue.

Those are some nice, wild accusations from a fan of a school that has been put on probation more times than the "ol cheating Tide." You sound eerily similar to the New York Times.

251398[/snapback]

Only because the "ole cheating tide" didn't get caught. Ever read the 1941 Colliers Magazine article by your distinguished alumni William Bradford Huie who was admitedly a part of it. Hey we get reported on by amateurs at the NYT. You guys got reported on by a Pulitizer Prize Winner :poke:

Archived