PF on the NYT Article.

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...7550.xml&coll=3

Printed in the interest of good sportsmanship.

Winners, losers in AU's saga

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

In the aftermath of the academic bombshell about Auburn's football program published recently in the New York Times, it's time to sift through the indefatigable spin and try and figure out who are the winners and the losers.

-- Tommy Tuberville: Loser ... Tommy, the question is quite simple: What political office are you running for? I haven't heard this much spin since the last presidential debate between Bush and Kerry. Just calm down already. Quit acting like the victim. The program you currently head has been embarrassed and you are acting like a little kid whose lunch money was stolen. Answering a front-page story in the nation's most influential newspaper about academic shenanigans by condescendingly promoting your graduation rate and your team's winning percentage ranks somewhere between hilarious and pitiful.

-- Ed Richardson: Winner ... Now, Richardson has acted like a CEO is supposed to act. For starters, he was in Hawaii when the story broke. And after rushing back from the islands, he came forward last Friday wearing a Mount Rushmore face and offered up predictable presidential pabulum. He hinted at change and reassured the Auburn Nation. Was it spin? Sure. But Richardson did it with the élan of a college president as opposed to the sincerity of a computer salesman at Best Buy, which we have been seeing from Tuberville.

-- Professor James Gundlach: Hung Jury ... The Auburn sociology professor is hardly a hero for ratting out his own department in the New York Times. Now, he won't talk to the school's investigative committee. Is he telling the truth or hiding something? Because he is tenured, there is no way the school can fire him. However, they could really punish this guy by forcing him to have to sit through Auburn's last three non-conference games this season against Buffalo, Tulane and Arkansas State.

-- Jay Jacobs: Loser ... Once again, in times of crisis, Auburn's athletics director is MIA. Why does Auburn continue this charade of having an athletics director? Wouldn't the $200,000-plus annual salary be spent more wisely by hiring a few more sociology professors? What does this guy do other than count paper clips, bellow "yes sir," to members of the board of trustees and pick up Tuberville's dry cleaning on Tuesday afternoons?

-- Carnell Williams: Loser ... The multi-millionaire Williams may have been the NFL Rookie of the Year and one of the great running backs in Auburn history. But instead of taking these dubious sociology classes perhaps he should have spent a little time in a speech class. Then, it wouldn't be so obvious the best education he received at Auburn was on the football field.

-- New York Times: Winner ... Many Auburn fans have predictably attacked the messenger here. However, give the Times credit for not only allowing reporter Pete Thamel the time and resources but giving this story the appropriate attention. The allegations by some fans that the Times is out to get Auburn is beyond laughable. Besides, Karl Rove and the Bush White House have already beaten AU fans to the punch with this lily livered charge.

-- Alabama-Auburn rivalry: Winner ... Which will be the biggest bumper sticker in November? Will it be the one AU fans have been boasting about for months, reading "Fear the Thumb," signifying five straight wins over Alabama? Or will it be Tide fans slapping "Fear the Dumb," on the back of their cars and trucks? The rivalry is alive and well.

Paul, Paul, Paul. CTT a Loser? Seems to me the whole story is really that he is the BIG winner here in the Alabama and the SEC. CTT doesnt need you and he isnt going on your #2 rated show when he can go elsewhere and get a real audience. Several things remain true at AU: AU is likely the SEC and SEC West favorite. AU still has the Top APR in the SEC. Auburn still has a 4 game win streak on their arch-rival and is looking to add to that streak. That is the real top story here.

Jay Jacobs a Loser? :headscratch: He pre-empts the NYT and forces the story out on his terms. This story had an impact of only about a week. 7 days later you were leading the show off talking about a racist phone caller. Nuff said. JJ, WTG! :thumbsup:

Actually a relatively tame article...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet another perfect example of the bamaham media "playing" to it's uat

base. Gotta' sell those fishwrappers!

he left one off

PF the ultimate loser.

He is an insult to journalism majors everywhere.

Since when did the NY Times become this all knowing

beacon of great writing anyway.

Here's a article i found on ITAT from Rece Davis. He doesn't seem to think Tubbs is a loser.

ESPN's Davis thinks stability is key for AU, UA
ONLINE EXTRA: Davis says schools should set their own standards

By L.C. Johnson

Montgomery Advertiser

July 25, 2006

Rece Davis takes exception to the idea that the academic controversy surrounding Auburn is somehow reflective of the institution or the players who've graduated from there previously. He also believes that schools in the Southeastern Conference and around the country need to set their own academic standards.

Davis, host of ESPN's College GameDay, was a guest speaker at the Landmark LifeCenter Monday as part of the Gridiron Kickoff Preview. In an interview with the Montgomery Advertiser, the Muscle Shoals native and Alabama graduate shared his views on a number of topics including the generalizations made about academic integrity in light of allegations that some Auburn students, including football players, received credit while doing little or no course work.

"Each institution should set its own academic mission and agenda. And when they do that, they should adhere to it," Davis said. "There is no reason that Auburn has to have the same academic mission that Vanderbilt or Stanford or Duke has. Alabama doesn't have to have the same academic mission as the US Military Academy or Boston College. They should set their own academic mission, decide who they are going to admit, and adhere to it."

On the other hand, Davis does not completely agree with the contention that a scandal such as this somehow cheapens the degrees giving out by a particular school.

"I think there is some truth to that," Davis said. "But there are not many Aerospace engineers who have Auburn degrees who are going to face a situation where they hear: 'Hey, I noticed some guys at the football program took some (questionable) classes . . so, you're fired.'

"But what it does do, for those athletes who have gone through that school or any other school who have done the work, who have worked diligently to get the degree, they are now viewed with a skeptical eye: 'Oh, how easy was it for you? How many easy classes did you have? How much did they help you with your grades?'

"It's not fair because there are guys who have busted it academically to get their degrees, and it meant something to."

Sticker shock: Davis still gets a kick out of trying to explain the Auburn-Alabama rivalry to people from outside of the state. He has lived in Connecticut for the last 11 years and whenever he has friends down to visit the areas around Muscle Shoals or Columbus, Ga., where his wife is from, they marvel at how rabid the fans are in this part of the country.

"It's hard to explain to people about the rivalry," Davis said. "But then they'll come down here and say, 'You were right, they (Auburn and Alabama fans) are everywhere.' They can see by the way everybody has the stickers on their car windows."

ESPN U. grad? Even though Davis has seen the "Iron Bowl" up close and personal for many years as a fan as well as a reporter who worked previously at television stations is Tuscaloosa and Columbus, he tries not to let any biases creep into his work.

As for the secret of how he tries to remain neutral as a Bama grad?

"The easiest way to say it is: 'You're loyal to whoever signs your scholarship papers.' And, I'm on scholarship with ESPN," he said. "So you have to play it down the middle. That's not to say that you don't care about your alma mater. I think it's just unfair to the viewers and unfair to your school if you show it too much.

"Because then, if you praise them, people don't know if it's justified or not. If you criticize them, people may think you have an agenda. Maybe you don't like the coach. Maybe the coach made you mad . . . I think you have to try to be fair.

Give them praise when they earn it. Criticize them when they deserve it. And try to play it down the middle as best you can."

Tigers in rhythm: Davis thinks Auburn fans should thank their lucky stars that Tommy Tuberville has remained as coach. It wasn't long ago that athletic administrators at the school were attempting to make backdoor deals to have him removed. Instead, Tuberville has been able to build a solid foundation and establish himself as the man in charge of a stable program.

"Tommy has used that power wisely," Davis said. "He's stayed the course, hired very wisely with his coordinators. Time and again he's proven to have a very astute eye for assistant coaches. And I think, going back to the Pat Dye days, this is the stability that Auburn has been searching for for a number of years."

"It's at once amusing and sad to see how Tuberville is often portrayed by those who don't know him well. I've never been around a coach who cares more for the young men who play for him and the grown men who work so hard for him. Anyone who doubts that shouldn't take my word. They should talk to the players or assistant coaches. What Tuberville has done is build a program on a solid foundation of commitment, hard work and doing things the right way. And that's what it's all about."

Wonder what ole Finescum's reaction to this would be?

I say we boycott Finebaum.

251722[/snapback]

i do not understand you people....not one bit....why do you listen to this dirtbag?...why?....i find it sad that some turn on the radio just to be insulted and laughed at by this horrible,horrible little bammerbasturd......turn him off and stop writing about him on message boards....it only feeds him, and the only way to get back at him is to keep him in second place in the bammerham media market....by not listening to him and listening to wjox, you do him double damage.....if you continue to listen to him, in a few years, your IQ will be around 6.....take the tinfoil off of your head and cut this damnable little smuck off and stop talking about him....pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

finescum makes fun of it because he doesn't understand it. He is a cynic

and has no moral character. Anyone that does, he assumes is fake and lying.

Tuberville is everything that PF isn't.

"Loser"= Carnell Williams? :lol::lol::lol:

I really hate to break the news to mr pondscum, but, The NFL "Rookie of the Year" could really care less about your opinion. In the big scope of things, you are a mear boil on the butt of humanity. Carnell has more class than you can imagine. You throw snide little smarmy quips out about his "speech" and think it makes you look smart or, at least, you think it may earn a chuckle from the pride of uat-shane. Those of us that followed Mr. Williams career thus far know that he is a fine Christian young man that has made the most out of his opportunities in life and has been a thundering success when others coming from his background may have failed. He chooses to do his "talkin'" on the Field. I know it pains you to remember that FIRST offensive play of the '03 Iron Bowl. Those of us that matter remember it fondly and will cherish that play, and many others Carnell provided, for many years to come. Go ahead mr. pondscum, attempt to rally the west vance "troops". They need all the "help" their failing program can get. :moon:

p.s. I remember when ALL you could find to say negative about a fellow named BO was to poke fun at his speech impediment. I am quite certain He is worrying about your opinion today as well. :big:

"Loser"= Carnell Williams? :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

I really hate to break the news to mr pondscum, but, The NFL "Rookie of the Year" could really care less about your opinion. In the big scope of things, you are a mear boil on the butt of humanity. Carnell has more class than you can imagine. You throw snide little smarmy quips out about his "speech" and think it makes you look smart or, at least, you think it may earn a chuckle from the pride of uat-shane. Those of us that followed Mr. Williams career thus far know that he is a fine Christian young man that has made the most out of his opportunities in life and has been a thundering success when others coming from his background may have failed. He chooses to do his "talkin'" on the Field. I know it pains you to remember that FIRST offensive play of the '03 Iron Bowl. Those of us that matter remember it fondly and will cherish that play, and many others Carnell provided, for many years to come. Go ahead mr. pondscum, attempt to rally the west vance "troops". They need all the "help" their failing program can get. :moon:

p.s. I remember when ALL you could find to say negative about a fellow named BO was to poke fun at his speech impediment. I am quite certain He is worrying about your opinion today as well. :big:

251737[/snapback]

CW makes more cash on a Sunday afternoon than PF made in his life. I am sure Carnell laughed all the way to the bank.

Here's a article i found on ITAT from Rece Davis. He doesn't seem to think Tubbs is a loser.
ESPN's Davis thinks stability is key for AU, UA

ONLINE EXTRA: Davis says schools should set their own standards

By L.C. Johnson

Montgomery Advertiser

July 25, 2006

Rece Davis takes exception to the idea that the academic controversy surrounding Auburn is somehow reflective of the institution or the players who've graduated from there previously. He also believes that schools in the Southeastern Conference and around the country need to set their own academic standards.

Davis, host of ESPN's College GameDay, was a guest speaker at the Landmark LifeCenter Monday as part of the Gridiron Kickoff Preview. In an interview with the Montgomery Advertiser, the Muscle Shoals native and Alabama graduate shared his views on a number of topics including the generalizations made about academic integrity in light of allegations that some Auburn students, including football players, received credit while doing little or no course work.

"Each institution should set its own academic mission and agenda. And when they do that, they should adhere to it," Davis said. "There is no reason that Auburn has to have the same academic mission that Vanderbilt or Stanford or Duke has. Alabama doesn't have to have the same academic mission as the US Military Academy or Boston College. They should set their own academic mission, decide who they are going to admit, and adhere to it."

On the other hand, Davis does not completely agree with the contention that a scandal such as this somehow cheapens the degrees giving out by a particular school.

"I think there is some truth to that," Davis said. "But there are not many Aerospace engineers who have Auburn degrees who are going to face a situation where they hear: 'Hey, I noticed some guys at the football program took some (questionable) classes . . so, you're fired.'

"But what it does do, for those athletes who have gone through that school or any other school who have done the work, who have worked diligently to get the degree, they are now viewed with a skeptical eye: 'Oh, how easy was it for you? How many easy classes did you have? How much did they help you with your grades?'

"It's not fair because there are guys who have busted it academically to get their degrees, and it meant something to."

Sticker shock: Davis still gets a kick out of trying to explain the Auburn-Alabama rivalry to people from outside of the state. He has lived in Connecticut for the last 11 years and whenever he has friends down to visit the areas around Muscle Shoals or Columbus, Ga., where his wife is from, they marvel at how rabid the fans are in this part of the country.

"It's hard to explain to people about the rivalry," Davis said. "But then they'll come down here and say, 'You were right, they (Auburn and Alabama fans) are everywhere.' They can see by the way everybody has the stickers on their car windows."

ESPN U. grad? Even though Davis has seen the "Iron Bowl" up close and personal for many years as a fan as well as a reporter who worked previously at television stations is Tuscaloosa and Columbus, he tries not to let any biases creep into his work.

As for the secret of how he tries to remain neutral as a Bama grad?

"The easiest way to say it is: 'You're loyal to whoever signs your scholarship papers.' And, I'm on scholarship with ESPN," he said. "So you have to play it down the middle. That's not to say that you don't care about your alma mater. I think it's just unfair to the viewers and unfair to your school if you show it too much.

"Because then, if you praise them, people don't know if it's justified or not. If you criticize them, people may think you have an agenda. Maybe you don't like the coach. Maybe the coach made you mad . . . I think you have to try to be fair.

Give them praise when they earn it. Criticize them when they deserve it. And try to play it down the middle as best you can."

Tigers in rhythm: Davis thinks Auburn fans should thank their lucky stars that Tommy Tuberville has remained as coach. It wasn't long ago that athletic administrators at the school were attempting to make backdoor deals to have him removed. Instead, Tuberville has been able to build a solid foundation and establish himself as the man in charge of a stable program.

"Tommy has used that power wisely," Davis said. "He's stayed the course, hired very wisely with his coordinators. Time and again he's proven to have a very astute eye for assistant coaches. And I think, going back to the Pat Dye days, this is the stability that Auburn has been searching for for a number of years."

"It's at once amusing and sad to see how Tuberville is often portrayed by those who don't know him well. I've never been around a coach who cares more for the young men who play for him and the grown men who work so hard for him. Anyone who doubts that shouldn't take my word. They should talk to the players or assistant coaches. What Tuberville has done is build a program on a solid foundation of commitment, hard work and doing things the right way. And that's what it's all about."

Wonder what ole Finescum's reaction to this would be?

251726[/snapback]

Rece Davis is from Muscle Shoals, Alabama. He is a 'descent' Bama homer.

"Loser"= Carnell Williams? :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

251737[/snapback]

CW makes more cash on a Sunday afternoon than PF made in his life. I am sure Carnell laughed all the way to the bank.

251746[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing.

Carnell could buy PF's sorry show and fire PF.

Again you guys are such flip floppers. For the last year you have enjoyed his articles because its pro auburn, though you might claim its to keep the Auburn fans fired up, yet you still praise it. Now he has an article and you bash him for it. And again all the "boycott" PF stuff... make up your minds. Some of you need to make up your minds and either not read/listen to it (which I doubt you will do) or be like "well that is his opinion, but I don't agree with it for such n such reason."

You guys have arguments that basically contradict his arguments. It's not about Carnell making money in the pros, it's about him presenting himself and representing his education from Auburn University and he makes that clear, yet you focus on his millions of dollars. It's not about CTT winning at Auburn and caring for his students and he makes that clear, yet you focus on that. He was saying CTT decided to not accept the fact of what happened, liked Richardson did (hense, why he said Richardson came out a winner), but to focus on winning and APR scores. Yea winning and APR scores are awesome and all that really matters when it comes to the SPORT of football, but have nothing to do with the NYT article.

I'll take my usual whipping by you boys now for saying I'm a bammer or that I need to be slapped...

Tim and DKW, you're making too much sense. Yes, Carnell is laughing all the way to the bank. PF pokes fun at CW's speech and insinuates that his Auburn education is worthless. One question....why does college exist? The one reason, above all else, is to prepare you for what lies ahead. For LIFE. To give you all the tools you need make the most of your fufure.

CW is a multi-millionare in his early 20s. If he even half way manages his money correctly and doesn't "Go craaazzy" :P with it, guess what? He'll never have to work a day in his life again if he doesn't want to.

What do you think about his Auburn education now, PF?

Again you guys are such flip floppers. For the last year you have enjoyed his articles because its pro auburn, though you might claim its to keep the Auburn fans fired up, yet you still praise it. Now he has an article and you bash him for it. And again all the "boycott" PF stuff... make up your minds. Some of you need to make up your minds and either not read/listen to it (which I doubt you will do) or be like "well that is his opinion, but I don't agree with it for such n such reason."

You guys have arguments that basically contradict his arguments. It's not about Carnell making money in the pros, it's about him presenting himself and representing his education from Auburn University and he makes that clear, yet you focus on his millions of dollars. It's not about CTT winning at Auburn and caring for his students and he makes that clear, yet you focus on that. He was saying CTT decided to not accept the fact of what happened, liked Richardson did (hense, why he said Richardson came out a winner), but to focus on winning and APR scores. Yea winning and APR scores are awesome and all that really matters when it comes to the SPORT of football, but have nothing to do with the NYT article.

I'll take my usual whipping by you boys now for saying I'm a bammer or that I need to be slapped...

251787[/snapback]

:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

251787[/snapback]

The "contriversy" itself had nothing to do with football, so how can CTT (the football coach) be a loser for not addressing it as a serious issue (which everyone but Slimebomb & The Bammer Naion can clearly see that it isn't)?

251787[/snapback]

My response to every one of your posts from this point on will be (whether I bother to post it or not):

"Shut up, b*tch"

251787[/snapback]

Pchamp, I dont agree with you 100% but I still read your posts. See, it is called exposinig yourself to other issues and views. If we sat here on AUN and never talked or interacted with rivals then this board would get very boring. I could name a few like that now.

251787[/snapback]

OK

251787[/snapback]

The "contriversy" itself had nothing to do with football, so how can CTT (the football coach) be a loser for not addressing it as a serious issue (which everyone but Slimebomb & The Bammer Naion can clearly see that it isn't)?

251807[/snapback]

Because it involved players on the football team. Yea, the issue was not football related, I agree. But Juwan Simpson's gun charge has nothing to do with football, so basically Mike Shula should be like "well you know, we just had a 10 win season and he's one of our best players and better persons I have known in my life" and completely stay free from the gun charge because it has nothing to do with football.

And learn how to spell... controversy

I know the few times that I have posted comments about Finebaum I have called him a myriad of names. But I recently had a very close friend, who actually owns several radio stations and has been in the media (radio and TV) business for 30 years, tell me that Finebaum is actually a reporter who has turned into an entertainer. The only way he can get people to listen to his show is to "stir the pot" and pit AU vs the bammers. When looking at him in that perspective, he does all of those things. What's funny to me (and why I will continue to listen) is the response he gets from the many uneducated redneck bammer fans. They sure do have a lot more of them than we do and they normally show their true colors. BTW, my friend's stations do not carry PF.

251787[/snapback]

Pchamp, I dont agree with you 100% but I still read your posts. See, it is called exposinig yourself to other issues and views. If we sat here on AUN and never talked or interacted with rivals then this board would get very boring. I could name a few like that now.

251820[/snapback]

You don't have to agree with 100% of my posts, but what I feel I bring to the table that differs from everyone else on this board is that I actually try to focus on what an article says or what a person says. I personally feel a lot of people on this board read something out of context and fail to focus on what someone is actually tring to say. I may be wrong in this assumption, but that's how I am. Yea, I agree that those on a message board should interact with rivals and have fun and all. But most other people already make a point and I don't feel like adding on to it and repeating something already said, so I try to say (write) something different.

251787[/snapback]

251807[/snapback]

Because it involved players on the football team. Yea, the issue was not football related, I agree. But Juwan Simpson's gun charge has nothing to do with football, so basically Mike Shula should be like "well you know, we just had a 10 win season and he's one of our best players and better persons I have known in my life" and completely stay free from the gun charge because it has nothing to do with football.

And learn how to spell... controversy

251829[/snapback]

So, is that writing a "different opinion", or an insult? What a open mind you have, to try to insult someone over an obvious typo....

Archived