Recruiting Hoover Players

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...7670.xml&coll=1

Tide, Tigers split Hoover players

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

The top uncommitted prospect in Alabama says he is getting close to a decision.

Hoover defensive tackle Kerry Murphy, No. 2 on The Huntsville Times Elite 11 list of the state's top college prospects, says he plans to make a decision by the middle of August. He says his finalists are Alabama, Auburn and Miami.

Long considered to be leaning toward Alabama, Murphy says he won't make a decision until after he makes an unofficial visit to Miami. The date for that visit is uncertain. He says Alabama is still in the lead and he plans to make his decision shortly after his return.

Two Hoover players have already made their choices. Offensive lineman Patrick Crump is Alabama-bound. Center Ryan Pugh, No. 3 in the Elite 11, is Auburn-bound.

Former Auburn assistant and Murray State head coach Joe Pannunzio is recruiting Murphy for the Hurricanes. He's managed to turn his head, but it might not be enough.

Barring a late change of heart, Murphy is likely to make it two-out-of-three for Alabama.

But the drama at Hoover won't be over. Defensive tackle Josh Chapman is expected to choose between the Tigers and the Tide. He says Auburn is his leader.

Williams weighs choices: Another object of both Auburn and Alabama's affection is B.C. Rain defensive back Ryan Williams, No. 9 in the Elite 11.

Williams, with more than 30 scholarship offers, says he has eliminated all but Auburn and Alabama.

With an official visits planned to both schools, Williams says he would like to choose one or the other before the end of summer.

QB down to two: Auburn coaches have said they won't sign a quarterback this season unless they can get one with a chance to be special.

Kodi Burns of Fort Smith, Ark., apparently fits that mold. He has narrowed his choices to Auburn and Arkansas and says he is almost ready to make a decision.

The key could be Burns' teammate, offensive lineman Lee Ziemba. Another top-notch prospect, Ziemba has dozens of offers. Burns has already visited Auburn. Ziemba plans to make his own visit. Burns, who says they would like to play together in college, says they'll talk after Ziemba's visit.

Five finalists: LaGrange (Ga.) defensive end D.J. Stafford, with offers from schools throughout the South and beyond, says he has narrowed his suitors down to five finalists.

Virginia Tech, Alabama, Georgia, Auburn and Clemson, he says, are his favorites. He is a former teammate of redshirt freshman Auburn linebacker Tray Blackmon.

Taking a look: Defensive lineman Will Blackwell of Monroe, La., took quite a road trip last week. He visited Alabama on Wednesday, then traveled to Knoxville and visited Tennessee on Thursday. Blackwell had a chance to visit with Alabama coaches.

Tennessee's coaches were not in town.

He says he was impressed by both schools, but he was not prepared to say either would get an official visit.

He says the only two schools that are certain to be in his final five are LSU and Notre Dame.

I hope we get who best fits our program. Auburn is more than the state of Alabama. Good luck on your guys, bamagrad. We have been happy with ours the last few years.

I had the opportunity to learn to hate Hoover. I went to high school at Vestavia Hills and I can't stand the Bucs. I actually prefer when they go to Bama so that I can continue that deep seeded hatred. But on a more serious note, Hoover has the best players in the state. They consistently when the 6A State Title because of the players they have. People move to go to play football there. It is a high school that recruits players from other places and is very successful. They have right now at least 7 players that will play D1 football so it will be interesting to see where they end up. I beleive that Bama has the upper hand however. they seem to pull more of the Hoover kids then Auburn typically does.

Hoover probably has the second best football program in the state.

1. AU

2. Hoover

3. Troy

4. UAB

5. Alabama A&M

I beleive that Bama has the upper hand however. they seem to pull more of the Hoover kids then Auburn typically does.

251786[/snapback]

Doesn't hurt that the Hoover HC is a big time Bama :homer: .

Chapman just committed to :au:

I still believe he will be treated so rough that he caves in and signs with bama.

Did they offer him a full ride or a grey shirt? If it wasnt a full ride then maybe he stays with :au:

All the articles I saw on him said Auburn was his leader. What were you seeing that had him Bama bound?

He was also very positive about Alabama. I didnt realize that we had only offered him a greyshirt though. Makes a lot of sense that he picked AU. When you have a full offer from AU and a greyshirt from bama, why wouldnt you pick AU?

Im not saying thats the only reason he picked AU. Before you guys break out the angry responses.

1. AU

2. Hoover

3. Troy

4. UAB

5. Alabama A&M

251792[/snapback]

I think you are right.....I think it contiues something like this.

6) Tuskeegee

7) Alabama State

8) Samford

9) Jacksonville State

I can't think of any other real footbal programs in the state besides those.

Guest Tigrinum Major

10. Homewood High School

11. The new Gadsden City High School (combines Gadsden, Litchfield, and Emma Sampson)

12. Prattville High School

13. Pike County High School

1. AU

2. Hoover

3. Troy

4. UAB

5. Alabama A&M

251792[/snapback]

I think you are right.....I think it contiues something like this.

6) Tuskeegee

7) Alabama State

8) Samford

9) Jacksonville State

I can't think of any other real footbal programs in the state besides those.

252124[/snapback]

UNA fits in there somewhere

You kNOW Propst is a Bammer man and influences his players to commit to the Dark Side...... :puke: High School coaches should NOT be allowed to influence where players go..... ;)

Most don't, but some do. The HC at Hoover has been under this thought that he will be OC at UAT someday. I don't know if that has been inferred to him or not by MS. Who knows. Hoover and its forerunner Berry H.S. has historically been a very good AU provider. That needs to continue.

You kNOW Propst is a Bammer man and influences his players to commit to the Dark Side...... :puke: High School coaches should NOT be allowed to influence where players go..... ;)

252202[/snapback]

Propst isn't influencing ANY player to one side or the other.

Yea where do u think Stan White and Kirk Crane Came From

OOOOH Yea BERRY ....Kirk and I Grad the same year From BERRY,,,

So that makes me special....Yea u can touch me ....LOLOLOL

Yea, don't forget about UWA and soon to be...........Birmingham Southern. Then you have 'bammer. :lol:

Most don't, but some do. The HC at Hoover has been under this thought that he will be OC at UAT someday. I don't know if that has been inferred to him or not by MS. Who knows.  Hoover and its forerunner Berry H.S. has historically been a very good AU provider. That needs to continue.

252229[/snapback]

I wouldn't think he would take the paycut...They pay very well over in Hoover, that's why they are so dominate year after year...In response to BamaGrad03 's comment, Both Crump and Vlachos HAVE accepted Grey shirt offers from Bama, as opposed to a "full ride" for 2007. It has been spectulated that we are not able to sign a full class this year. We will probably only sign between 15 to 17 this year. We will lose alot of kids this year because we simply can't offer them. BTW, I personally think Chapman will be a good one for AU, that is if he can crack the starting lineup, you guys are loaded on DL. Congrats on the commitment.

Archived