Juwan Simpson update

quietfan

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/s...26/charge.shtml

Prosecutor drops Simpson charge

Alabama linebacker no longer accused of receiving stolen property

By Kyle Veazey

DAILY Sports Writer

kveazey@decaturdaily.com · 340-2460

The prosecutor in charge of Alabama linebacker Juwan Simpson's court case said he has decided to drop the receiving stolen property charge, a move he expects will be approved by a judge at a proceeding this morning in Bessemer.

Bill Veitch, the chief assistant district attorney in Bessemer, said he recommended the charge be dropped once his office verified Simpson's claim that he took the stolen property, a handgun, to a Northport police officer before buying it, and that the officer said it was not stolen.

The Taurus 9-millimeter semi-automatic pistol was found in Simpson's vehicle upon his May 20 arrest and it was registered as stolen out of Decatur.

"This is good news all the way around," Veitch said.

Simpson still must answer to a misdemeanor charge of possessing a handgun without a license, which would result in a fine if he pleads guilty. Last month, he agreed to enter drug court to satisfy his misdemeanor marijuana possession charge.

H. Lewis Gillis, Simpson's Montgomery-based attorney, didn't return a phone message left Tuesday afternoon.

Neither Veitch nor Kerry Card, a Northport police spokesman, identified the officer in question. Veitch said it was likely that the officer didn't enter the correct serial number into the database, resulting in the incorrect advice to Simpson.

Veitch said he spoke with the officer last week and verified the story.

The Northport Police Department handed its investigation of the incident to the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center last month. Card declined to say if the ACJIC had returned the results of its investigation to Northport. Sharp has said that ACJIC doesn't comment on its cases.

According to Decatur police, the handgun and a 15-round clip were stolen in February 2005 from a vehicle parked in a Clearview Street Southwest

driveway. Also taken in the theft were two additional clips, valued at $50 each, and a portable DVD player with two video screens, valued at $500.

Investigator George Silvestri said he did not believe Simpson was involved in the theft and said the department has no plans to charge him.

Simpson, an Austin High grad, was arrested May 20 in Bessemer and charged with a felony count of receiving stolen property and misdemeanor counts of possession of a handgun without a license and possession of marijuana. The stolen property charge was downgraded to a misdemeanor May 23 after the value of the gun was determined to be $400. The threshold for a felony charge under Alabama law is $500.

Simpson's playing status for the upcoming season is unknown. Alabama head coach Mike Shula hasn't commented on the specifics of a possible punishment for Simpson, and normally declines to make such discipline public knowledge.

A senior, Simpson was a likely candidate to represent Alabama at SEC Media Days, which starts today in Hoover, before his arrest. Simpson has earned a degree in financial planning and is working on his second one in criminal justice. He's also the team's leading returning tackler with 64 stops.

If he's innocent, then I'm glad for his sake this charge was dropped. Sure took a long time to get a simple answer to a simple question out of the Northport PD, though!

Other than the fact that the gun in question is worth more than $500 (felony dropped to misdemeanor) and the fact that he had apparently received stolen property (dropped because...hmmm...well I'm sure there is a reason), I'd say this was the judicial system at it's finest.

In all honesty, I hate for kids to get in trouble and I hope Juwan is able to take this Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free Card and get back on the straight-and-narrow. But if it happens again, you know he'll have to sit out for the kick-off of the Hawaii game :P .

Other than the fact that the gun in question is worth more than $500 (felony dropped to misdemeanor) and the fact that he had apparently received stolen property (dropped because...hmmm...well I'm sure there is a reason), I'd say this was the judicial system at it's finest.

In all honesty, I hate for kids to get in trouble and I hope Juwan is able to take this Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free Card and get back on the straight-and-narrow.  But if it happens again, you know he'll have to sit out for the kick-off of the Hawaii game :P .

252239[/snapback]

When it happens again, he may even be forced to do ten or more pushups! :poke:

I'm shocked that the Northport PD didn't offer an apology because it looks like they arrested Juwan for nothing.

Simpson still must answer to a misdemeanor charge of possessing a handgun without a license, which would result in a fine if he pleads guilty. Last month, he agreed to enter drug court to satisfy his misdemeanor marijuana possession charge.

He still had Mary Jane on him, which constitutes a crime in this case. Granted a minor offense, but why did this upstanding fellow have a gun and drugs in the first place? Hope he gets it this time.

In another month, it will be anoounced that the mayor of Bessemer will have to run the steps at BDS and apologize for them ever arresting Juwan.

Man, the smell from this is getting REAL BAD now.

only in Northport...

Next thing we'll see is that the possession charges are dropped because the weed that he (allegedly) possessed was actually parsley that he intended to use in his culinary class that he was in route to at the time of the traffic stop... :rolleyes:

I thought Alabubba had 3rd and 4th string players that shadowed these "premier players" so that they could take the rap, instead of their premier players going to jail... :huh:

only in Northport...

Next thing we'll see is that the possession charges are dropped because the weed that he (allegedly) possessed was actually parsley that he intended to use in his culinary class that he was in route to at the time of the traffic stop... :rolleyes:

I thought Alabubba had 3rd and 4th string players that shadowed these "premier players" so that they could take the rap, instead of their premier players going to jail... :huh:

252430[/snapback]

Who is going to jail? Heck they may owe him time in a little while.

Purely a hypothetical reference...

Wouldn't it make sense, say, if a star LB was at a club and pulled a gun. What next? The "star" drops it and flees...then the scab LB steps in and "takes one for the team". :D

Does O.J.uwan Simpson have more than one seat in his vehicle? Coach Shelia needs to check into this matter before the next "misunderstanding" occurs.

Archived