CFN's Top 10 teams

rchandlerh

I dont know.... with the hiring of Cutcliffe I'm believing that Ainge will finally be as consistent as everyone hopes he can be. Tenn. reminds me alot of the '04 Tigers... Highly ranked the season before.... flopped.... and came in strong with a new O.C. the next season.

UT at 10th is completely laughable.

252375[/snapback]

Last season was an anomaly, BG, not a trend. Tennessee has been good the whole time Fulmer's been there with that one exception.

Wouldn't surprise me to see UT as the east representative in the SEC-CG. In fact, if I had to pick now, I'd pick Tennessee. Plenty of talent, a lot to prove.

252375[/snapback]

Last season was an anomaly, BG, not a trend. Tennessee has been good the whole time Fulmer's been there with that one exception.

Wouldn't surprise me to see UT as the east representative in the SEC-CG. In fact, if I had to pick now, I'd pick Tennessee. Plenty of talent, a lot to prove.

252407[/snapback]

Yeah GG I am with you like I was saying the other day in another thread all this talk about :uf: and :uga: that I had the sneaking suspicion that :ut: could walk right out of the east with the division title in hand. If they can put things together they could be someone to lookout for. Imagine if that happened, we may have to play by years end UF, UGA, USC, and UT out of the east man talk about rough the big 3 in the east plus a newly rejuvenated USC not to mention the rest of the west. Just plain rough going, if we could come out of all that undefeated I say forget the BCS bring us the super bowl champs. :big:

Yeah its kind of a toss up in the east. I have always thought that Florida would be way overrated, like we were in '03. I had Georgia picked as the favorite to go to Atlanta with Tennessee and South Carolina tied for second. I just don't see the gamecocks competing for the :sec: until next year. Tennessee I would say is next, and I will agree that they have the talent and "something to prove," however, I doubt that they will pull it out in December. I say that we meet the Bulldogs twice this year for the first time ever.

WDE!

Ryan

252375[/snapback]

252407[/snapback]

Yeah...since (and including) the 2000 season, UT has finished in the top 10 1 time.

ONCE.

And that was the 01-02 season. Since then the best they have finished is around 14th...with a couple of years unranked.

So given their recent history, why are they getting the benefit of the doubt? I mean they went 5-6 last year. Even coming off of GOOD years they havent finished in the top 10. So why coming off of a horrible one do they get a pass?

West Va coming off of an 11-1 season is ranked 15th?????

Teams 11-20 that could beat UT right now: WVU, FSU, Michigan, Va Tech, ND, and probably GA. DEFINITELY GA by the time their QB situation is straightened out.

Don't know about the UT question but Western Virginia doesn't play anyone. That is why they are ranked there. Not saying it is right just think that goes to some of the thinking.

252375[/snapback]

252407[/snapback]

Yeah...since (and including) the 2000 season, UT has finished in the top 10 1 time.

ONCE.

And that was the 01-02 season. Since then the best they have finished is around 14th...with a couple of years unranked.

So given their recent history, why are they getting the benefit of the doubt? I mean they went 5-6 last year. Even coming off of GOOD years they havent finished in the top 10. So why coming off of a horrible one do they get a pass?

252549[/snapback]

I don't know if they'll finish in the Top 10, but you don't have to do so to win the East. They won it in '04, but didn't finish in the Top 10, yet they swept the East. They were just unfortunate enough to lose their QB in the Notre Dame game, and to have to face possibly the best Auburn team ever twice. Those were their only losses. During the Mark Richt era (01- current), every year the Dawgs have not won the East, the Vols have. That trend could very well continue. It's not even so much about them as it is about the East as a whole. Every team has significant question marks. To me it's really not "why Tennessee?" but rather "why not Tennessee?"

On second look...no way UT wins the east or finishes in the top 10.

They play from the west: Bama, @Arky, and LSU

OOC: California, Airforce, Marshall, @Memphis

4 game stretch of: Bama, @USC, LSU, @Arkansas

252575[/snapback]

Hmmm, good point about the schedule, but Florida has it even worse, having to play all three of the "big boys" from the West, as well as @UT. Anyway, I think the Vols will lose to Cal, take that to the bank. But I think they'll win 3 of those 4 in that SEC stretch you mentioned. LSU is the most likely to knock them off. The fact that they play LSU at home may matter to some, but it really doesn't because Neyland, for as large as it is, still amazingly provides virtually no home field advantage. But the good news is that 3 of those 4 teams are in the West, so there's less damage done than a loss from the East. I don't see the cocks beating them again this year. I like their chances against UF, the home team has won the last 2 years there. Georgia is a likely loss, IMO. So I guess in the end, I see UT going somewhere around 6-2 or 5-3 in conference, 9-3 or 8-4 overall. 2 SEC losses still could be good enough to win the East, but if one of them is UGA, forget about it. I think that if UF was 1 of the 2 losses, they'd still have a chance, because Florida could very well lose 3 to other teams (i.e. LSU, AU, UGA, Bama).

UT will be better, but top 10 is ridiculous. The offense will be better, but it's not like they suddenly got an infusion of top level talent. And the defense lost a ton of big time contributors.

I'm thinking 7-5 would be progress (though UT fans won't see it that way), with losses coming to UF, UGA, LSU and two of the following: S. Carolina, Bama, Cal and Arky.

If they go 8-4 with that schedule, Vol fans should be grateful.

My pick for the East in 2006 is in fact Tennessee.

Georgia has a QB problem worth 2-3 losses and UF has a schedule worth 3-4-5 losses.

Tennessee has a very open chance to win the East without playing perfect.

Tennessee isn't the most talented or quickest team but they are St. Mary's School of the Blind.

They have players that can win the SEC.

Just need Cutcliffe to open up that offense.

252575[/snapback]

UT-Bama... UT wins

UT-Arky... UT wins in a close one

UT-LSU... Tossup.

UT-Cal... UT wins

UT-Airforce... UT wins

UT-Marshall.. UT wins

UT-Memphis... UT wins (may be close)

UT-USC... UT wins revenge

UT doesn't play Auburn. Both Florida and Georgia do ... in Auburn.

Your point is?

UT-Bama... UT wins

UT-LSU... Tossup.

UT-Cal... UT wins

UT-Airforce... UT wins

UT-Marshall.. UT wins

Your point is?

My point has already been made. But can we save this post for the end of the season?

UT-Bama... UT wins

UT-LSU... Tossup.

UT-Cal... UT wins

UT-Airforce... UT wins

UT-Marshall.. UT wins

Your point is?

My point has already been made. But can we save this post for the end of the season?

252791[/snapback]

Save it. Write it on your forehead if you want. :P

Western Virginia

that's west "by god" virginia. but never the less, UWV will be this years UT, unless UT beats them too it. UT ranked 10 is a joke.

Okay, in my opinion West Virginia is for real. Let's stop being SEC homers for a minute and think back to how they handled Georgia pretty well in the Sugar Bowl. The Big East is not as bad as everyone says. They have Louisville, West Virginia, Syracuse(worth mentioning because they will eventually return to being Syracuse of old), South Florida, UConn is on the rise. No the Big East is not top to bottom a killer, but what conference is? The SEC has six good teams and six mediocre to bad teams. I am an SEC die-hard, but lately we haven't really done that well in out of conference games and bowl games. I believe the SEC is going through a little bit of a down spell compared to how dominating we were during the 80's and 90's.

Archived