Charles Barkley for Governor...

Barkley would not be a good governor, but he should be given some sort of high profile ceremonial job or something. Anyone who makes comments like this at least has the right idea and given the right forum, could really make a positive difference:

Link

"I really believe I was put on Earth to do more than play basketball and stockpile money," he said. "I really want to help people improve their lives, and what's left is for me to decide how best to do that." ...

"People will tell you this is America and there is a level playing field. That's the most BS you're ever going to hear," Barkley said. "If you're poor, if you're dodging bullets and drop out (of school), it's not a level playing field." ...

While scolding white America for largely ignoring the needs of the poor, Barkley admonished black students and parents.

"There are too many black kids and their parents who do not value a good education," he said.

"There are places where a black kid who is a good student and tries to speak correctly, you hear stuff like, `He's trying to be white.' Well I say, if that's true, we need more kids trying to be white."

Barkley attacked rap music as promoting a culture that is not good for black Americans.

"I used to think it was just music. I was wrong," Barkley said. "I think it's having a negative effect on black kids, especially young black men, who grow up believing things that hurt them and hurt people."

Barkley urged school board members not to give up on educating poor kids.

"I will never give up on helping those kinds of kids, because I used to be one of those kinds of kids. Don't you give up, either."

The cost of living in some parts of Illinois are lower than the average for this state, and union wages are three times as much. In 2002, the mean house price in Rockford, Il. $99,000, Alabama $228,000. With a mean income of $40,000 in Rockford, and mean hosue price of $99,000, there is no choice. The mean income in 2002 for Mobile, AL, then was $28,000+ per year. That's laughable.

The average price for a home in alabama is not 228,000. If it is, that is taking into consideration areas such as Huntsville and Birmingham that have many subdivisions that have multi million dollar homes. The average wage in those areas is not 28,000 dollars per year. So your facts are very very skewed.

In southern parts of the state where wages are so low, you could build a FREAKING CASTLE for 200 grand.

One of me best friends is from Rockford and now lives in Pelham. He works in mtn brook. He was telling me the other day how you can make more money down here and it goes a lot further.

In huntsville, the avg home price is 140k. And the average income is 61k. Rockford the avg income is 44k. All the other places in IL in CNNs top 100 list had median home prices over 250k. The avg home price in the 100 places to live is 259k while the avg income is 76.

In hoover, the average income is 86k and the avg home price is 208k. Im sorry, i dont think someone working at walmart or bagging groceries should BE ABLE to afford the same home as I can afford as a working professional with a college education.

The union mentality drives prices for every thing sky high and it just devalues the dollar. Nobody cares that you can buy a house for 1/3 of what it would cost to build somewhere else...and nobody cares that the taxes are 1/10th of what they are somewhere else...they just want that freaking dollar figure. Fine. If a grocery bagger and a college student can afford a 208,000 dollar house...you better make DAMN sure that you fight for my right to make JUST as much money as a software developer in chicago or NYC. Theyre making 150-175 up there, i want that too...Because if i have to buy my house its gonna triple in price. And the people excited about their 60k/year union job bagging groceries can now be excited about what kind of house 200,000 dollars will buy in california.

I make a good salary at my job now and i have a house in hoover. It aint cheap to live over there but i do just fine. Why should a 16 year old (or someone doing a 16 year olds job) make a comparable salary? Please explain that to me. You only change your reference point. If i can live comfortably on my salary as a software professional with a college education, theres no reason why a 16 year old should expect to make more than he does.

An AHAI of 158.7 means Alabama families who earn the statewide median income of $48,650 had almost 1.6 times the income needed to qualify for a loan to purchase the statewide median priced home, which was $130,030 in the second quarter. Stated differently, a family earning the statewide median income of $48,650 could have qualified to purchase a home valued at $215,067.

You guys bring this 16-y/o stuff in here. That's not my point. Alabama is regressive towards labor period. It sucks working without a degree, and not all of the people I know with degrees deserve the money they are paid either. I see it all of the time.

Peru, Ill. in Lasalle Coutny older homes were going for $70,000 for 1000 square feet. Taxes run about $600 per year. Schools are great and crime is low. But the thing is the unions up there are excellent the members are paid well. Here look at what we should have here in Bamerland.

http://www.ibewlocal176.org/winside.htm

The median house price for Rockford, IL was courtesy of the Nightly News with Tom Brokaw in either 2002 or 2003, I can' remember, but I do remember the numbers. The median income part was courtesy of my own research after the broadcast. The closer th ratio of income to median house price is what I look for in a place to live, along with crime and other factors. Schools aren't important as I have no kids. As far as Alabama goes, mainly Mobile, I did my own research at that time and came up with those numbers. They have changed a bit, but I believe skill labor needs a increase in wages and benefits across the board. Just my personal belief. Otherwise it's people like me that will sound off until it changes to my satisfaction.

As far as Alabama goes, mainly Mobile, I did my own research at that time and came up with those numbers.

Never in the history of the state of alabama has the average home price been anywhere NEAR 228,000 dollars. In 2005, it was just over 130k...you telling me it adjusted itself down 100k? Doubtful

Hoover has the highest median home price in the state that doesnt include mountain brook and homewood. (neither of those have many planned community type homes and are aberrations)...and its 208. A new 200,000 dollar house in hoover would be 120 in places like calera, alabaster, and MANY places in mobile.

Rockford, IL is also a RETIREMENT community. So those numbers are also a little skewed.

You can do your own research all you want. But it doesnt support your premise.

It sucks working without a degree, and not all of the people I know with degrees deserve the money they are paid either. I see it all of the time.

It does suck working without a degree...sometimes. Sure its harder to get a great paying job. But its not impossible. And thats just how it works. People pay a premium for skilled labor. I dont see anything wrong with that. But I also know a TON of people who have construction jobs, plant jobs, and other non degreed positions and make great money. Again, if you can get a job sans degree at Mercedes making 25 bucks an hour...why is that bad?

You cant go out fighting for the 45 year old dude working at burger king...mad because he makes min wage. He should have a better job than that...AND he gets help from the govmt. You raise his wage, it only devalues all those who make more. You raise everybody's wage and youve got mega inflation.

Barkley would not be a good governor, but he should be given some sort of high profile ceremonial job or something.  Anyone who makes comments like this at least has the right idea and given the right forum, could really make a positive difference:

Link

"I really believe I was put on Earth to do more than play basketball and stockpile money," he said. "I really want to help people improve their lives, and what's left is for me to decide how best to do that." ...

"People will tell you this is America and there is a level playing field. That's the most BS you're ever going to hear," Barkley said. "If you're poor, if you're dodging bullets and drop out (of school), it's not a level playing field." ...

While scolding white America for largely ignoring the needs of the poor, Barkley admonished black students and parents.

"There are too many black kids and their parents who do not value a good education," he said.

"There are places where a black kid who is a good student and tries to speak correctly, you hear stuff like, `He's trying to be white.' Well I say, if that's true, we need more kids trying to be white."

Barkley attacked rap music as promoting a culture that is not good for black Americans.

"I used to think it was just music. I was wrong," Barkley said. "I think it's having a negative effect on black kids, especially young black men, who grow up believing things that hurt them and hurt people."

Barkley urged school board members not to give up on educating poor kids.

"I will never give up on helping those kinds of kids, because I used to be one of those kinds of kids. Don't you give up, either."

253173[/snapback]

Good post :thumbsup:

It does suck working without a degree...sometimes. Sure its harder to get a great paying job. But its not impossible. And thats just how it works. People pay a premium for skilled labor. I dont see anything wrong with that. But I also know a TON of people who have construction jobs, plant jobs, and other non degreed positions and make great money. Again, if you can get a job sans degree at Mercedes making 25 bucks an hour...why is that bad?

253226[/snapback]

$25/hour ain't too shabby. I guess it's just down here, in Mauvilla.

Sounds pretty good for those people who work the plants. I don't know what happened with those numbers I remembered. I know the income numbers were from a economic site I use to visit. I guess it's all according to where you get the numbers. After researching some more, I found the information you submitted to be true. I apologize.

Archived