Bama better, but still chasing Auburn

DKW 86

May have to register...

From the Knoxville News Sentinnel

Adams: Bama better, but still chasing Auburn

By JOHN ADAMS,adamsj@knews.comJuly 26, 2006

HOOVER, Ala. ”It wouldn't be SEC football media days if there weren't a gaggle of Alabama fans hanging out in the lobby of the Wynfrey Hotel, hoping to get a glimpse of their favorite sportswriters.

Just kidding.

The fans were there because the Tide was there. First came running back Ken Darby and defensive back Ramzee Robinson, Alabama's two player representatives at the media gathering; then came head coach Mike Shula.

As a woman hit Darby up for an autograph, I overheard her saying a relative had named her baby after Darby. :ucrazy:   Such are the fruits of a 10-2 season, Alabama's first winning record since 2002.

A young Alabama fan was wearing a T-shirt with the headline: "Got 12?," a reference to Alabama's 12 national championships, some of which were legitimate and others which might has well have been determined by an impromptu survey at a Tuscaloosa barbershop. :big: I didnt write this stuff...

Tide fans always have a presence at the media days, but the turnout was noticeably larger Wednesday. Success will do that, especially when it follows the Dark Ages of Alabama football.

Before last season, Alabama had been embarrassed by two coaches (Mike DuBose and Mike Price), abandoned by a third (Dennis Franchione) and turned in to the NCAA by a fourth (Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer). Oh by the way, it also lost 15 games in two years.

The losing stopped in 2005. The Tide posted a record that might have been acceptable under Gene Stallings, if not Bear Bryant.

It was quite a year for the second-best football program in the state of Alabama.

While the Tide has been battling to overcome UT, the NCAA and the sins of past coaches, Auburn has established itself as one of the country's most solid programs. It also has established its superiority over Alabama with four consecutive victories.

"We've been hearing about that (since last season's game)," Robinson said Wednesday. "We were still hearing about it in Dallas (at the Cotton Bowl).

"That's just more motivation, more fuel to our fire. We get so much negative energy about it. So we're really looking forward to that game."

All the anticipation and motivation won't change the facts. Auburn has surpassed Alabama decisively.

Who has the best coach? Auburn's Tommy Tuberville.

Who has the hottest assistant coach? Auburn offensive coordinator Al Borges.

Who has the more proven quarterback? Auburn's Brandon Cox.

Darby gives Alabama an experienced, talented running back. Kenny Irons gives Auburn a better running back.

Alabama's best receiver is Tyrone Prothro. His career is still in doubt after suffering a horrific injury in last year's Florida game. Auburn's top receiver is Courtney Taylor. He's not only one of the best wide receivers in the SEC; he's healthy.

When The Sporting News ranked the SEC by position in its preseason football publication, Auburn ranked higher than Alabama at every position. Its advantage on offense was overwhelming.

TSN ranked Auburn's offensive backfield first, its receivers fourth and its offensive line first. Alabama's respective rankings were seventh, eighth and sixth.

Got the message? "Got 12?" is history.

Here's reality: Alabama has emerged from the Dark Ages, only to find itself in Auburn's shadow. B)

Sports editor John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 oradamsj@knews.com.

LMAO! No way an Alabama sportswriter could have written that ... at least, not without wearing a bullet-proof vest while out in public. :D

Bammers that read this are going to have heart attacks from the anger. Somebody in the media actually saying we are the dominant program is blasphemy to bammers.

Bammers that read this are going to have heart attacks from the anger. Somebody in the media actually saying we are the dominant program is blasphemy to bammers.

252921[/snapback]

Nah they will just say consider the location ot the paper and say it's a UT rag so what do you expext. One thing I have learned over many years..... no matter what, it's impossible for the bammers to see reality thru those crimson glasses so don't waste your energy trying.

Well, add John Adams to the list of Tennesseans banned from ever entering the state of Alabama again.

Well, add John Adams to the list of Tennesseans banned from ever entering the state of Alabama again.

252929[/snapback]

I wouldn't exactly call John Adams a neutral reporter. He is right however. Auburn, for the time being, does have the upper hand.

He better watch for flying bricks.

252938[/snapback]

What do you know about flying bricks :big:

252939[/snapback]

I hear it is a semi-annual event put on by Tide-Pride.

TSN ranked Auburn's offensive backfield first, its receivers fourth and its offensive line first. Alabama's respective rankings were seventh, eighth and sixth.

Wait...TSN ranked Bama's offensive line ahead of their receivers and backfield? :blink:

On the otherhand, I'm glad to see they have confidence in our O-line despite new starting tackles and less depth.

Wait...TSN ranked Bama's offensive line ahead of their receivers and backfield? :blink:

On the otherhand, I'm glad to see they have confidence in our O-line despite new starting tackles and less depth.

252957[/snapback]

I forgot where I read it... I think Sporting News Magazine... but they ranked us having the #10 best O-line in the nation.

Just the type of article I like to see on my first visit to the board today. A huge War Eagle goes to John Adams.

It was quite a year for the second-best football program in the state of Alabama.

Here's reality: Alabama has emerged from the Dark Ages, only to find itself in Auburn's shadow.

:roflol:

252938[/snapback]

252939[/snapback]

I hear it is a semi-annual event put on by Tide-Pride.

252942[/snapback]

Only when Auburn's basketball quad visits. :lol:

252938[/snapback]

252939[/snapback]

We've only HEARD about them.... :rolleyes:

:au::homer:

And yet another post that proves that Auburn understands THE UNIVERSITY across the state........

253331[/snapback]

Which university is that?

And yet another post that proves that Auburn understands THE UNIVERSITY across the state........

253331[/snapback]

I was unaware that this forum topic was created for the sole purpose of UAT obsession. Oh wait, it wasn't, it was to highlight a column in a newspaper in Tennessee by an LSU graduate. I guess I am so obsessed with UAT that I post on their boards...oh wait, that's not me...

253331[/snapback]

you mean the crapstone????? not hardly your our red headed stepchild

:bricks:

253331[/snapback]

Must not have read the article, huh? I'll spell it out for you because you seem like you need the help and I'm taking pity on you: the article was authored (that means written) by an LSU grad in a Knoxville newspaper. Knoxville is located in the state of Tennessee, and has nothing to do with AU. As bad as that article slammed uat, the fact remains that no one associated with AU had anything to do with it. The underlying message is that AU's superiority is vastly apparent to others outside of the AU-uat rivalry so much that the "got 12?" rallying cry of the bammie homers is openly mocked as a point of ridicule.

A bit of advice: come up with some new material to post, Mr One-Trick Pony, or you will forever be branded on this board as the typical dumber-than-Shane-from-Centerpoint bammie fan. Your choice.

253331[/snapback]

Must not have read the article, huh? I'll spell it out for you because you seem like you need the help and I'm taking pity on you: the article was authored (that means written) by an LSU grad in a Knoxville newspaper. Knoxville is located in the state of Tennessee, and has nothing to do with AU. As bad as that article slammed uat, the fact remains that no one associated with AU had anything to do with it. The underlying message is that AU's superiority is vastly apparent to others outside of the AU-uat rivalry so much that the "got 12?" rallying cry of the bammie homers is openly mocked as a point of ridicule.

A bit of advice: come up with some new material to post, Mr One-Trick Pony, or you will forever be branded on this board as the typical dumber-than-Shane-from-Centerpoint bammie fan. Your choice.

253386[/snapback]

Very accurate statements, AUloggerhead. Out in the real world uat is considered a big joke full of blowhards. They are really dragging the SEC down.

Archived