Anyone else miss the days when coaches wore ties?

BamaGrad03

I dont know...maybe im just old school. But I loved it when coaches wore a nice shirt and tie on gameday.

Khakis and a decent polo aint bad I guess.

But now im seeing more and more (Ralphie at Maryland) coaches who look like they are getting ready to go jogging...not coach a ballgame.

JOE PA Still has that Classic Look... I miss it a bit too but those early games in late Aug and Early Sept are way to Hot for an Oxford and Tie

I tell you what I miss, is our players being in a coat and tie. At least for the pictures that they use on TV giving the lineups. I thought that looked very classy when the guys were in a gray coat and tie in 2004. Wish we would go back to it.

Does it really matter? Personally I could care less, as long as CTT looks presentable and isn't embarrassing AU by looking like a bum. Of course, I'd take the coach dressing like a bum and winning over the coach dressing like a fashion model and losing every day of the week.

That's just my personal opinion. I'm more interested in watching the game (and making sure I don't spill my, umm, "coke") than making sure the coach doesn't wind up on Blackwell's worst dressed list.

I don't really miss it. To me, how most of them dress now makes them look more like a coach rather then suit that sits behind a desk. Football is an outside sport and I never understood wearing a shirt and tie while coaching it. You mostly only see that with indoor sports like basketball and hockey nowadays.

I dont know...maybe im just old school. But I loved it when coaches wore a nice shirt and tie on gameday.

But now im seeing more and more (Ralphie at Maryland) coaches who look like they are getting ready to go jogging...not coach a ballgame.

253085[/snapback]

Ralphie is at CU, not Marlyland and I don't believe she's ever worn a tie. If so, maybe it was one of those western string ties:

DNTPOTZCOLALZWQ.20040211185354.jpg:poke:

I think the polo shirt and pants is appropriate for coaches and AU windsuits for the players is fine. In my opinion, the coat and tie attire from the old days was silly. On a similiar note, it drives me nuts to see the fraternity guys and their dates show up on gameday dressed for prom. That is totally gay. Gameday is all about letting loose and having fun. Auburn shirts and jeans or shorts please!

253085[/snapback]

NO NO and.......HIZ-HELL NO.

Shirt and tie on the sideline will always remind me of that SOB Gremlin of a coach that we tolerated in the early and mid 90'. He didnt then nor does he now belong on the sideline in a shirt and tie bent over with his hands on his knees like he was waiting for an after party in San Fran's gate district. He is right where he belongs now:

Sitting on 2 phonebooks peering over a news desk 4 months out of the year reminding the country what an absolute dumb@$$ he is and how little he truly knows about football.

NOTE: Yes Galen I know I stole your thunder but you were slow on the draw my friend.

I don't know. I think a man who makes $2 million a year and represents a University should take that image seriously, both in the character of the young men he coaches and the way he presents himself. So I don't feel that a jacket and tie is a big sacrifice.

Of course, I really have a problem with casual dress in the workplace. While I don't believe in three-piece suits, I make my employs wear a jacket and tie every day. It is a way of demonstrating respect for the employer, the clients, and the work one does.

253085[/snapback]

100% agreement on this one BG, I don't like the golf look on the sidelines. Whoever said they didn't like fans dressing up for the games needs to go back up north!

It's not a job interview. If you want to dress up five days a week, fine with me. Personally, I wear a coat and tie as little as possible and I will certainly never wear one on gameday. Football Saturday is about letting loose, getting pumped up, and rooting on the Auburn Tigers to victory. It is silly to show up in 95 degree weather in a coat and tie. Although it is really nice to see hot chicks all dressed up, I don't believe a football stadium is the right atmosphere for that. I know Alabama is conservative, but what is the purpose of formal wear on gameday? Just to let you know, I am from the south. There are only a handful of schools even in the south that practice this "tradition" if you want to call it that. Dressing up on gameday is just plain silly. Auburn shirt and jeans or shorts please!

Dye al;ways wore a tie, I like it myself. But as long as CTT is winning, I dont care if he walks the sidelines in a speedo...not that he ever would.

On a similiar note, it drives me nuts to see the fraternity guys and their dates show up on gameday dressed for prom.  That is totally gay.  Gameday is all about letting loose and having fun.  Auburn shirts and jeans or shorts please!

253119[/snapback]

Knew this was coming. You should have gone to Notre Dame cause they don't have fraternities there.

Who cares about what other Auburn fans wear to a game, I've heard out of state comments from people that have seen it on TV that thinks its a cool tradition. I had alot of fun with it. There is things I like and dislike that people wear, but cause some guy shows up in a orange jersey with jean shorts (there are those people out there) it doesn't mess up my day or do I even give it a second thought.

Personally I'm more comfortable in khakis's than jeans. They are cooler and breathe better, and having large legs from soccer they've always fit me better in the thighs. Then I wear one of the dry system polo's cause they breathe well and allow for evaporation for cooling. I don't even own a pair of jeans atm to be honest.

It doesn't bother me that coaches no longer wear ties, its good for them to wear the team polo's by the sponsors as people see it and buy the coach's shirts. Khaki's and polo is fine. Alot of those shirts are designed for the heat now also which is a good thing. Long as the coach looks presentable its fine with me.

253085[/snapback]

Mangino is one of those guys also. With the age and weight of those guys they need to be concious with what they wear because their bodies don't cool very well. I imagine finding clothes that fit well is difficult also, though that body size and type is very prevelant in the US now unfortunatly.

I'm 29 years old and I think more coaches should wear a nice oxford shirt and tie. Coats are optional, but I think it makes a huge positive statement.

As far as gameday fan attire, as long as your not 350 pounds rockin' a 1980 vintage quarter inch hole mesh jersey with no undershirt, I got no problem with pretty much everything. Anything as long as it is in reasonable taste. I like the fact that the Greeks dress up for the games at Auburn. And I usually dislike most things Greek, but that is a cool tradition.

I remember the time Dye's wife forgot to pack his suit for the Georgia game and he had to wear an Auburn sweat suit.

Ouch!

To each, his own, but I don't understand anyone willingly putting on a tie to be outdoors on a Saturday afternoon in September in the South. And while pretty girls in pretty dresses (with the attendant underlayers) might be easy on the eye and part of the Old South football tradition, I don't know how/why they do it either.

I'd much rather have a coach focusing on the ballgame than on how hot he felt, or how tight his tie was, or whether he was staying sufficiently hydrated to think clearly.

Another thing, semi-related: Can anyone remember the last time they were actually cold at a football game? In my high school days ('60's-'70's), part of the fun of football season was having an excuse to cuddle with your date under a shared blanket on a chilly night (even in Alabama). I cannot recall needing a blanket at a ballgame in 2-3 decades--I practically have a heat stroke just thinking about it these days!

What....this is very gay or prep in my opinion to think of "what not to wear" during your college game day experience.So I don't care if a fancy pants wants to wear a button-up with a sweater tided around their neck or hillbilly boy wearing their number 8 nascar shirt.Do I miss tie's?About as much as I miss the fur coat and up turned vaudeville hat....break out the ukulele's as the accessory. :rolleyes:

Of course, I really have a problem with casual dress in the workplace. While I don't believe in three-piece suits, I make my employs wear a jacket and tie every day. It is a way of demonstrating respect for the employer, the clients, and the work one does.

253134[/snapback]

Note to self....never move to Birmingham and work for Otter. :D

I don't mean this at all disrespectfully, but I'm guessing you're on the "back nine" of life? No real need to answer that, it's just that usually there are generational differences with respect to attitudes towards work casual. (FWIW, I'm 35)

I certainly respect the fact that not everyone shares the same opinion as me (oh what a wonderful world it would be), and I have no idea what type of work atmosphere you're in, but would you answer this - do you deal with the public/clients on a daily basis, or are you in an office all day and there are no "surprise" client/public drop ins? I can kind of see it, depending on the type of profession and whether you have clients/public coming into the office daily, but othewise, I just don't get it. I work in a "white collar" profession, and I personally feel fortunate that business casual is our rule of thumb. If I (or anyone else) is going to a client's, we of course wear a coat and tie. Otherwise, my daily outfit is khakis and a polo. (We don't have public walk-ins or clients just dropping by.)

I just never understood the POV of having to dress "professional" to be "professional". Wearing a coat and tie is not going to improve my efficiency or make me any smarter. (If anything, it would slow down my efficiency due to the amount of time I'd be bitching about having to wear a tie every day.) I've always felt that being comfortable was more important than making sure my tie doesn't clash with my socks.

When I first started working in this profession, I did have to wear a tie everyday and hated it. Then, we eventually went to business casual, but the CEO outlawed white crew neck undershirts under polos. He for some reason thought it was too "college". (He was only in his 40's, but he perpetually had a stick up his butt. After he left, that rule went away in a hurry.) Thankfully, the industry norm now in my profession is business casual. Personally, it would take a LOT to get me to have to wear a tie everyday.

Another thing, semi-related: Can anyone remember the last time they were actually cold at a football game? In my high school days ('60's-'70's), part of the fun of football season was having an excuse to cuddle with your date under a shared blanket on a chilly night (even in Alabama). I cannot recall needing a blanket at a ballgame in 2-3 decades--I practically have a heat stroke just thinking about it these days!

THANK YOU! What ever happened to "football weather"?

I mean even on halloween its like freakin 85 degrees outside. I miss the fall so much. I wasnt even warm for the iron bowl this year. I think i may have even worn shorts.

What about bill bellichek (sp?) he wears that baggy ass hoodie pats sweatshirt. Not only to coach games...but also on freaking Leno. I dont get it.

253085[/snapback]

z%20a%20shula.jpg

Flipper could wear a coat and tie everyday of his life, he would still have that "deer in the headlights" look on his face 95% of the time. But, he could have helped his "image" last season by not having JP "DUI" Wilson (with his baseball cap turned around backwards on his head) standing behind him the entire game. So, every shot you see of Flipper, there is this punk kid standing there with his :ua: hat turned around. That would not be the preferred way to represent the U of A, facuility, alumni, or the tax payers of the state of Alabama. Way to go Flipper, can't even tell your own players what to wear and how to act on the sidelines.

051121_parcells_vmed_2p.ss_v.jpg

As Bill Parcells said about wearing a shirt and tie on the sidelines, "I am leading men into battle, why would I dress up like I am going to church or something? Do soldiers wear ties on the battlefield?"

THANK YOU! What ever happened to "football weather"?

I mean even on halloween its like freakin 85 degrees outside. I miss the fall so much. I wasnt even warm for the iron bowl this year. I think i may have even worn shorts.

253191[/snapback]

Hey, if we don't like the heat, pity poor WarTim. Somehow he has to find a "nip" before Sept 2 !! :big:

[i have every confidence in your ability to do so, however, WT. :thumbsup: Although there may come a time when we have to take up a WEN collection to fly you to Alaska each August.]

If you must know, I wear a coat, ascott, and monocle every day to work.

253192[/snapback]

LOL :lol::lol:

Ties are so functional. They keep your shirt from blowing off into the wind.

When you take an objective look at ties, they have to be one of the silliest things ever created. I won't say "invented" because inventions usually have a purpose.

I wore a tie to work for over thirty years. Glad my close-out years were more sane.

Would anyone on this forum call for golfers to wear jackets and ties? Yet that used to be the "norm". Ooowee.

Otter, you've got to be over 60. Style is all in the head--there is nothing wrong with casual dress. If you have to be dependent on some goofy image for importance, something is wrong. Innovation, productivity and customer staisfaction is all that matters in buiness.

How many employees of Microsoft wear ties? Yet Bill Gates is the richest American alive.

If pomposity yielded results, I would be all for it. Gimme results, and dress any way you want.

Archived