McCain's son joins Marines

Tiger Al

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The youngest son of U.S. Senator John McCain, a former prisoner of war in Vietnam and a vocal proponent of more American troops in Iraq, will soon report for duty in the Marine Corps, Time Magazine reported on Saturday.

Jimmy McCain, 18, will spend three months in boot camp in California this autumn and another month in specialized training.

Depending on his unit, the younger McCain could eventually wind up in Iraq where Marines have experienced heavy fighting, Time reported. Marines are also in combat in Afghanistan.

"I'm obviously very proud of my son," McCain told Time, "but also understandably a little nervous."

The U.S. military death toll in Iraq stands at 2,574, including four Marines killed on Thursday, the military said on Saturday.

McCain, an Arizona Republican, is a potential presidential candidate in 2008. He has been calling for more U.S. troops in Iraq, where violence continues more than three years into the war.

The U.S. force in Iraq has reached 132,000, gaining about 5,000 troops this week after the Pentagon extended the tour of an Alaska-based combat unit.

McCain says his son's Marine service will not change his position on the war.

McCain's family has a rich military tradition. His grandfather and father were both Navy admirals. McCain was a Navy fighter pilot when shot down over Vietnam. He spent more than five years in captivity. McCain's other son, Jack, attends the U.S. Naval Academy.

The percentage of members of Congress with children serving in the military is only slightly above 1 percent. Sens. Christopher Bond, a Missouri Republican, and Tim Johnson, a South Dakota Democrat, have had sons serve combat missions in Iraq, Time said.

LINK

What's this have to do w/ anything? Chicken Hawks ? Sorry, but that term is invalid. Chicken hawks HUNT chickens. It may have played well to the stoned hippie crowd of the 60's, but so what ? Alot of things which made sense to them were utter nonsense.

I reject and ignore any use of the term 'chicken-hawk' as being irrelevent. Sorry, but it's just a lame ass attempt to ridicule those who see diplomacy as a means to prolong a crisis.

hawk1.jpg

Chicken Hawk

I'm no chickenhawk, I know that.

Here listen to some people who were there and are running for congress.

CSNY Freedom Of Speech Tour 2006

Bush has opened a can of worms and everybody knows it. He has to fix it before to leaves for Leavenworth.

We're tired of his @#!^ and we're going to unload.

Bush has opened a can of worms and everybody knows it. He has to fix it before to leaves for Leavenworth.

I hope you're kidding about that last remark. Levenworth? I know the extreme hyper FAR Left wing dreams and hopes about that, but only as any AU fan would hope uat gets hit w/ 10 yrs of probation. It's just political sour grapes.

Other than being sickenly compliant to letting aliens cross into this country for the sake of political expedency, ( just like EVERY one else ), there's nothing for which W could be found guilty. Nothing illegal, that is.

What's this have to do w/ anything? Chicken Hawks ? Sorry, but that term is invalid. Chicken hawks HUNT chickens. It may have played well to the stoned hippie crowd of the 60's, but so what ? Alot of things which made sense to them were utter nonsense.

I reject and ignore any use of the term 'chicken-hawk' as being irrelevent. Sorry, but it's just a lame ass attempt to ridicule those who see diplomacy as a means to prolong a crisis.

hawk1.jpg

Chicken Hawk

That phrase strikes a little close to home, don't it?

That phrase strikes a little close to home, don't it?

I really like chicken, yes. Not sure that makes me a hawk, though.

Archived