Terrorist Plot Foiled in UK, US

RadioWryn

No link yet, but CNN's been breaking in for the last 20-25 minutes. A month+ long investigation has culminated in arrests tonight (presumably in Britain) involving a plan to bring carry-on luggage with explosive devices to blow up flights from the UK to the US. Heathrow (in London) supposedly is allowing no carry-on luggage today.

Information coming from CNN International via Scotland Yard.

It's a foregone conclusion that something would happen before elections. It always does when these yahoos wanted something passed in the house (2001 - 2004) or an election was coming up. I believe nothing these guys say, they are liars. :angry:

Continental Airlines Inc - CAL

Last: 24.21-1.92 -7.35%

American AirlinesAMR : AMR Corporation

Last: 20.29-0.80 -3.79%

United Airlines - UAUA

Last: 23.83-0.95 -3.83%

Apparently up to 21 arrests in Britain, said the situation was urgent .. liquids being banned on commercial flights in the US and abroad, US security level up to code red.

Woah, looks like this was a big one.

Terrorism threat.....what terrorism threat.

Ahmadinejad has already warned us about Aug 22. Add in the 8 missing Egyptian "students" and now this. Coincidence? We'll see I guess.

Let's see if I can predict the response of the appeasement party:

- They wouldn't be doing this if the US didn't support Israel.

- They are just misunderstood - this is a religion of peace!

- They wouldn't be doing this if we hadn't invaded Iraq - if we get out now, all will be well.

- This is all made up - Bush's lap dogs in the UK wanted to help him in the approval ratings area, so they all sat down and made this up, and framed a bunch of innocent peaceful Arab scholars in Britain.

Did I miss anything?

- They wouldn't be doing this if we hadn't invaded Iraq - if we get out now, all will be well.

- This is all made up - Bush's lap dogs in the UK wanted to help him in the approval ratings area, so they all sat down and made this up, and framed a bunch of innocent peaceful Arab scholars in Britain.

Did I miss anything?

Yea, you missed the fact that you are brainwashed. I'm sorry it's so political, but "That's a fact jack!" I cannot wait until the "Scarecrow" and the "Wizard" are out of office.

bush-scarecrow.jpegGot Duct Tape?

A quote today from Harry Reid:

The Iraq war has diverted our focus and more than $300 billion in resources from the war on terrorism and has created a rallying cry for international terrorists.

DING DING DING! Jenny scores!

Yea, you missed the fact that you are brainwashed. I'm sorry it's so political, but "That's a fact jack!" I cannot wait until the "Scarecrow" and the "Wizard" are out of office.

Oops, you forgot one....

COWARDLYREID.jpg

A quote today from Harry Reid:

The Iraq war has diverted our focus and more than $300 billion in resources from the war on terrorism and has created a rallying cry for international terrorists.

DING DING DING! Jenny scores!

What a freaking Nimrod. The Iraq war and war on terror are one and the same. How do these people get elected. Oh yeah. By a bunch of other Nimrods.....

Oops, you forgot one....

COWARDLYREID.jpg

LOL! Politicians, in general, have no interest in the public's well-being. It' all for corporate profit. The evidence is overwhelming.

Did I miss anything?

It's official. Least any doubt existed before, let it be known that BF is a member of the moonbats . A complete kook. Never mind the fact that this didn't happen in the US, but over in the U.K, and never mind that the investigation was on going for MONTHS, using the same exact methods of 'wire tapping ' and ' checking folk's financial transactions' that the fringe nutters scream is an attack on our 'personal freedoms'.

The Brits got their muslims, and we're all safer for it. So how does the whacked out fringe respond ? By posting photo shopped pics , mocking Cheney and Bush. Unbelievable. <_<

LOL! Politicians, in general, have no interest in the public's well-being. It' all for corporate profit. The evidence is overwhelming.

In the case of illegal immigration, you can make that case. But here ? You've got nothing to hang your hat on here, B.F. What evidence do you have that any politicians are making out big over THIS event? Or should I say 'non' event ? And before you go off trying to crawfish your way out of this one, by saying your comment was only meant in the general sense, I have to ask.... why even bother posting that remark in THIS thread ?

( Yeah, like I'm expecting an honest, coherent reply to THAT one )

I think it's fair to say 9/11-Scale Plot Foiled on 8/10.

Thwarted plot may have been ‘the Big One’

‘Classic al-Qaida’ plan biggest in scope, ambition since Sept. 11

News Analysis

Updated: 1:02 p.m. CT Aug 10, 2006

The plot had been in the works for months, and its goal was horrific. One after another, planes would have exploded in the sky, sending hundreds of men, women and children to their deaths.

Counterterrorism officials said Thursday the plan thwarted in London appears to bear the fingerprints of al-Qaida, and may even have been “the Big One” they have been dreading since Sept. 11, 2001, particularly as the five-year anniversary of the attacks on the United States approaches.

More than 20 people have been arrested, terror threat levels have been raised to some of their highest levels and hundreds of flights have been canceled worldwide.

“In terms of scale, it was probably designed to be ... a new Sept. 11,” said Jean-Charles Brisard, a French private investigator who works with lawyers of many Sept. 11 victims. “It involved the same tools, the same transportation tools and devices.”

Rohan Gunaratna, a terrorism expert at Singapore’s Institute of Defense and Strategic Studies, said everything known so far points to involvement by Osama bin Laden’s terror group.

“It is a classic al-Qaida tactic. It is a hallmark of al-Qaida to carry out coordinated, simultaneous attacks and the aviation domain is certainly known to al-Qaida,” he said.

Al-Qaida earmarks

FBI Director Robert Mueller echoed those sentiments, saying: “This had the earmarks of an al-Qaida plot.” U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff added that the plan was “sophisticated, it had a lot of members and it was international in scope.”

There have been dozens of thwarted plots around the world since the Sept. 11 attacks, and several were murderously successful. Suicide bombers killed 52 people in London on July 7, 2005, 58 in two attacks in Istanbul, Turkey in 2003, and 202 in Bali in 2002. Islamic radicals killed 191 people in Madrid on March 11, 2004, then blew themselves up days later as police closed in.

While al-Qaida’s call for global jihad clearly acted as inspiration, there has been no direct evidence that bin Laden or his No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahri, had advance knowledge of those attacks, that they helped plan them, or that they provided financial or logistical help to those who carried them out.

The group’s failure to match the destruction it inflicted on Sept. 11 has led to speculation that a global dragnet that has forced bin Laden into hiding and ensnared many of his most trusted deputies may have degraded al-Qaida’s abilities.

Analysts said Thursday that is a theory to be believed only at the world’s peril.

‘This was really serious’

The plan thwarted by the British had the potential to dwarf the attacks of recent years — killing hundreds, perhaps thousands.

It also appears to have involved far more extensive planning and expertise.

Counterterrorism agents have been tracking the alleged plotters for months and made arrests in London and its suburbs, as well as in Birmingham, England. A British police official said the suspects appeared to be “homegrown,” though it was not immediately clear if they were all British citizens.

Magnus Ranstorp, a terrorism expert at Sweden’s Center for Asymmetric Threat Studies who has done extensive research on al-Qaida’s recruiting efforts in Europe, said the foiled plot in Britain “could very well have been an attempt at ’the Big One.”’

He warned against doubting the gravity of the threat.

“This was really serious. Police have no reason to play politics. I think one should take what they say very seriously,” he said.

Official: Subway attacks in comparison ‘child’s play’

Andrea Nativi, a researcher at the Rome-based Military Center for Strategic Studies, said the plot resembled the Sept. 11 attacks in ambition and was entirely different in scope from other terror schemes of recent years.

“By comparison, the London subway attacks look like child’s play,” he said.

Rodolfo Mendoza, a police intelligence official in the Philippines, said the “modus operandi” is the same as al-Qaida has used in the past — and he should know.

Mendoza was among the law enforcement officers involved in thwarting a scheme by al-Qaida terror mastermind Ramzi Yousef to use liquid explosives to blow up a dozen airliners in 1995 as they flew across the Pacific to U.S. destinations, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu and New York.

Like al-Qaida’s decade-long effort to bring down the World Trade Center in New York, first in 1993 and then, disastrously, in 2001, the latest plot to blow up commercial airliners reveals the group’s unwavering resolve, Mendoza said.

“These people are obsessed,” he said. “They will try and try and try again to accomplish their mission.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14285388/

Did I miss anything?

It's official. Least any doubt existed before, let it be known that BF is a member of the moonbats . A complete kook. Never mind the fact that this didn't happen in the US, but over in the U.K, and never mind that the investigation was on going for MONTHS, using the same exact methods of 'wire tapping ' and ' checking folk's financial transactions' that the fringe nutters scream is an attack on our 'personal freedoms'.

The Brits got their muslims, and we're all safer for it. So how does the whacked out fringe respond ? By posting photo shopped pics , mocking Cheney and Bush. Unbelievable. <_<

In the case of illegal immigration, you can make that case. But here ? You've got nothing to hang your hat on here, B.F. What evidence do you have that any politicians are making out big over THIS event? Or should I say 'non' event ? And before you go off trying to crawfish your way out of this one, by saying your comment was only meant in the general sense, I have to ask.... why even bother posting that remark in THIS thread ?

( Yeah, like I'm expecting an honest, coherent reply to THAT one )

I don't have to have evidence. This isn't court case. I go by my gut feelings. The evidence is right in front of you. They are more interested in protecting the airlines, and to heck with the passengers. The first thing the MSM showed was the fall in the stock prices of the three airlines involved. Give me a break already, this entire system is about putting power in the hands of a few. It always has been.

The same thing happened on 911 with our air defenses practicing a similated 911 attack. Duh, who would have thought that. They had no idea that aircraft were to be used. My @$$. It's election time and the nutz in the Whtie House do not want to lose control of either house of reps. BUT, it will happen and everything will come to light. Everything will be exposed, and then we will all see the truth. I'm telling you man, Dubya and Cheney, especially Cheney, they goin' down.

I don't have to have evidence. This isn't court case. I go by my gut feelings. The evidence is right in front of you. They are more interested in protecting the airlines, and to heck with the passengers. The first thing the MSM showed was the fall in the stock prices of the three airlines involved. Give me a break already, this entire system is about putting power in the hands of a few. It always has been.

The same thing happened on 911 with our air defenses practicing a similated 911 attack. Duh, who would have thought that. They had no idea that aircraft were to be used. My @$$. It's election time and the nutz in the Whtie House do not want to lose control of either house of reps. BUT, * it will happen and everything will come to light. Everything will be exposed, and then we will all see the truth. I'm telling you man, Dubya and Cheney, especially Cheney, they goin' down.

Evidence isn't use solely in the judicial system. Putting us in Red Alert status sucks for the airlines, it doesn't save them. And this myth of the " 9-11 " simulation..sheesh. Please. So, eleciton time here in the U.S ( 3 months away ) and the folks over in England decide to pull a stunt that shuts down their major airports ? :blink: Damn, what color is the sky in your world ? If we had 1/10th the power you're suggesting we have, the war in the middle east would have ended decades ago.

* I'll wager $1,000 to any charity you want that Bush and Cheney don't ' go down', as you put it. Care to play along ? Let's see how sure you are about your ' gut feelings' . :rolleyes:

Not gonna bite on the offer, eh?

<_<

I'm not a betting man in that respect. I'll bet, but without funds to back it up. If they don't go down here, they will go down at the Hague.

Care to put $1000.00 on gold futures? Or, how about "CALL" or "PUT" options on this stock? That's my kind of gamble.

http://online.kitco.com/scripts/stocks/vie...ous.pl?id=10033

http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/headlines/Gold.html

Did I miss anything?

Your brain, but it's been missing for a while.

Sounds like thousands of lives may have been saved by some solid police work.

Thousands of lives were saved thanks to the intelligence agencies and their ability to track these murderers through all means necessary.

Did I miss anything?

Your brain, but it's been missing for a while.

You have no class.

Tracking phone calls. Tracking money. The dims and the NYTimes have complained vociferously about those tactics are haven't they?

Not gonna bite on the offer, eh?

<_<

I'm not a betting man in that respect. I'll bet, but without funds to back it up. If they don't go down here, they will go down at the Hague.

You're not getting it. They won't be going down because there's nothing for them to be going down FOR. They've committed no crime. Your great dislike for them does not constitute a trial in the World Court. Heck, I'm not trying to make the amount of $$ an issue, but I feel so strongly that I WON'T be paying off that bet, I could wager any amount.

My offer stands, regardless of the $ amount.

Archived